ratty chevy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8literbeater

Here goes nothin. This is my '59 Chevy that I've been building slowly since I was 17. It's had 3 different front axles, 5 different rear axles, 5 different transmissions, 4 different engines, 2 transfer cases, and 3 beds on it since I started. I've built the steering a couple of different ways, but I finally got this one finished last year when I finished the Dana 60 installation.
The springs are 73-87 Chevy 4 inch lift springs that I built brackets and shackles for, there are no blocks.

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

The rearend is a 14 bolt full floater with a Detroit locker. The front and rear axles came off of an '86 1 ton. I converted the rear to disc brakes. It runs 3/4 ton front discs and calipers on the rear.

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

I made all of the steering rods out of 1 7/16" .320" wall DOM tubing, and 3/4" cold rolled plate. Of course there's no bumpsteer, and I can spin the steering wheel with one finger under ANY conditions. It tracks perfectly down the road at any speed. I'll get to the speed part in the next post.

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

I tapped into the steering box for hydraulic pressure to the steering cylinder.

IMG_0095.jpg

I made the front driveshaft in January, and yes it's square tubing. I had the yokes available on a shaft I wasn't using, and having a "proper" shaft made was looking to be in the 500 dollar range. That's ridiculous. So I spent about 30 dollars on tubing and made my own. It works great.
It's a divorced transfer case, and the shaft in between is only 7.5 inches long if I remember right. It's a special build and cost $250 back in about 2004.

IMG_0090.jpg

This picture makes me think of something else; I bought these tires new, and had them balanced, to zero balance. Big bias ply tires can ride smoothly down the highway without bouncing, if you can find someone worth their salt, that's willing to put the effort into balancing them. These are 38/12.5/16. Aside from the balance, these tires do flat-spot when it's parked, and they bounce around until they warm up and round out again.

IMG_0089.jpg

Yup, that's a hydroboost under the cab. I have the original pedals through the floor. The original frame too, actually. The fuel tank is in the bed, so the fuel filter and fuel pump are there on the frame. It sorta makes me want to get around to building those driveshaft hoops that I've been thinking about for years.

IMG_0099.jpg

Last edited:
I built the engine. It's a 454 bored .030 and stroked .25. Some of you will already know, that makes a 489(8 liters). It dynoed at 490 horsepower, and 566 pound-feet of torque. The transmission is a NV4500, which is a big cast iron 5-speed.

IMG_0094.jpg

The speedometer is electronic, so I can calibrate it easily to match tire size, or gear changes, which I hope I won't have to do anymore. When I had 35 inch tires, and the gears to match, the highway RPMs were the same as now with 38 inch tires, and 5.13 gears. The 35s were radial goodyears, and I had it up around 122-124 MPH a few times. :eek: It's fun to run off and leave the newer cars when they hit their speed governor. Since I put the bias ply Swampers on it, I have kept to a more conservative 100-105 top speed.

IMG_0096.jpg

The 50 gallon gas tank can at least get me out of the state before I run low on gas. I've still never had this tank full since I put it in, in January. With 10.1 to1 compression, I have to use 91 octane gas.

IMG_0098.jpg

Now I'm sure to get some criticism...

Not from me..awesome truck..really like those home built front end pieces, look beefy as hell.. can't beat a BBC for power, I've got a built 468 in my 82 chebbie..

Tim

Nice [cl This is the tow truck we seen in your intro isn't it ?
"It's fun to run off and leave the newer cars when they hit their speed governor." [ddev [ddev [ddev [ddev Awesome :D
I love the 58 and 59 fleetsides [dr

Jim

Thanks man.
Thanks man.
Thanks girl.
Thanks man.
Thanks man.
:D

Dirtyrat, let me put it this way, if you have power steering, and a vacuum brake booster, switch. I absolutely love the hydroboost. I've loved the brakes on everything I've owned or driven that had hydroboost on it. This truck has only ever had manual brakes on it, which really worked well, but the hydro is the way to go. The brakes on this feel better than the brakes on my Cadillac. I couldn't be happier.

I like it too! What a beast. Can't say I've ever seen a square tube driveshaft.

I bet it's fun out-dragging a ricer civic from stoplight in that monster.

I can't click on the pics and see them. What do I need to install or whatever, to be able to see them? Sounds like a pretty nice build.

The old girl has been neglected for too long.
So here's the scoop. The last time I drove her, I noticed just a little steam puffing from one cylinder on the right side. I did a hot compression test and came up with nothing. All the plugs look fine. I have no choice but to pull it apart anyway.

The engine only has about 10,000 miles on it since I built it. I truly don't know what the reason is for it burning water, but since I'm digging in, there's a list of things that need to be taken care of.

Things that have to happen:
  • Pull the heads to see what's wrong. Probably just new gaskets.
  • New head bolts, or maybe studs.
  • A totally new wiring harness. This thing still has the remnants of the original wiring, but has had a radio, trailer brakes, alternator, electronic ignition, fans, electric wipers, turn signals, and electric choke added. Oh, and electric guages, and fuel pump.
  • Make new transfer case shifter linkage.
  • Buy 17 inch rims to go with the replacement tires that I have.
  • Have the seat rebuilt. It has some broken springs.
Things that really need to happen:
  • Weld in crankcase ventilation bungs on the exhaust, and eliminate the PCV valve.
  • Get the headers ceramic coated.
  • Reconfigure the clutch pedal connection to the master cylinder.
  • Swap the carb out for fuel injection.
  • Weld in an O2 sensor bung for the fuel injection.
  • Build bump-stops for the front axle. There's nothing but good luck and judgment keeping the front axle out of the oil pan.
  • Build a new gas tank. I used an existing tank the last time. It has no baffles, and no sump, and the pickup is on the driver's side. If you pull to the side of the road, the gas runs away. It hasn't really been a problem yet, but the gauge is all over the place.
  • Install an oil cooler. 250 degree oil on a hard pull is kinda pushing it.
Things that I would like to do, but don't have to:
  • Swap out the XE274H hydraulic flat tappet cam for a similar hydraulic roller cam.
  • Rocker stud girdles. I originally used roller-tip rockers, and they were horrible. I had a stud break off within 1,000 miles. When I pulled them off, the pivot area under the rocker ball was purple and blue from heat, and the metal was galling. I stuck in roller rockers and haven't had to worry about it.
  • Install air conditioning. I took the heater out a while back because it started to leak, and I thought it was time to hook up the AC compressor that I've already got on the engine. Well, that never happened. So now I have no heat or AC. Where the heck am I going to put an AC condenser?
  • Adjust the rear pinion angle. Again. It's only off a few degrees, but it bugs me, and vibrates.
  • Build some sort of anti spring-wrap device for the rear axle. 560 lb-ft of torque through 5.13 gears and a locker, to big meaty tires, has a way of manhandling leaf springs.

I estimate about $2,000 at least, just for the first two lists. :(

I can't click on the pics and see them. What do I need to install or whatever, to be able to see them? Sounds like a pretty nice build.

The pics are hosted on photobucket, but should be visible here even without signing in. Maybe your browser is blocking photobucket.

I knew roller cams were pricey, but the lifters? Holy smokes!
I'm considering the Howards Cams CL120245-10 set. [S
Save

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back