Another 1928 Tudor A-Bone

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chop job would make it look great but, I'd caution ya on doing any channel work.
I didn't chop my 33 Pontiac but, did channel it 3 1/2" man do I wish I had never done that. You end up having to be hunched over to drive them.
I kind of agree if it was a coupe or a pickup. If it's a sedan you can lay the seats back so you're not hunched over. My first sedan was 6 inch chop and 4 inch Channel. Man it look good LOL just my experience

My thoughts on channeling are mostly for practical purposes. The bottom edges of the side panels are kind of rough. Not rusted out, just beat up with stress cracks and the like. Not bad at all for being over 90 years old Moving up a couple inches would give me better material to which to attach the new floor structure. Nothing will happen before I have done my research. Form follows function. This car will fit me (old, creaky, long, fat, and cranky), and that will determine what it ends up looking like. :D I can't wait to see what happens.
OI, I will be reviewing your 33 build extensively.

Last edited:
I had to see what it looked like in one piece. Sorta' ...

I made a stand out of some wrought iron patio chairs and a couple 2x6s to set the body on. Then I bolted the floor frame to the 2x6s. Then I sat the A on it panel by panel, and clamped the panels together. That sounds easier than it was single handed.

Now that it looks more or less like what it is supposed to be, I can start assessing the work that is needed. The short answer is, a lot. Its safe to say that it is not quite ready for Pebble Beach. But it is well within my wheelhouse to fix it. The quarters are rough on the bottoms, the drivers door window frame is bent a little, and both quarters are coming loose from the framework. Or the framework is coming loose from the quarters. Not sure on that one. The wood is all shot, of course. I'll replace the wood with steel. And, the windshield frame that i scored on CL a few weeks ago is the right one. YEA!

Much staring and thinking and list making to do before the cutting begins. I thought about taking a couple inches off the bottom perimeter to clean things up, but that would be really complicated. The quarters and back would be easy, but there is no way to make the doors and cowl work. So that is out.

Attachments

• RTSDSmall.jpg
    RTSDSmall.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 40
  • LtSdSmall.jpg
    LtSdSmall.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Full LtSdSmall.jpg
    Full LtSdSmall.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 41
  • BkAssySmall.jpg
    BkAssySmall.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 38
  • AssemFrtSmall.jpg
    AssemFrtSmall.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 39
Creative use of lawn furniture.

Doesn't look too bad "assembled". If you are patient it will come together.

Creative use of lawn furniture.

Doesn't look too bad "assembled". If you are patient it will come together.
That is exactly what I thought after looking at the pictures. :D I'll take some shots of the mangled parts tomorrow after my camera battery is charged.

I need to find an instruction manual with lots of detailed pictures of the structural pieces of this beast. At this point, I don't even know what I don't have. But I will. :D

:D [cl :cool: :cool: :cool:
Really good to see you back at it.
If it were mine it would be getting a hair cut and possibly angled channel over the frame.
[P [P [P [P
Torchie

Attachments

• unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 31
  • unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 36
What frame are you going to use, A model, 32, or homebuilt 2x4 box tube? I'd do that first, then decide on a chop or channel....[P[P[P

What frame are you going to use, A model, 32, or homebuilt 2x4 box tube? I'd do that first, then decide on a chop or channel....[P[P[P
I agree on having the frame sorted out before body mods start in earnest. I have three or four options that I am considering, and each of those has three or for variations that could happen. None have risen to the top of the list yet.
1. T-bucket frame that is in the rafters. Add a kick up and run with it.
2. 40 Ford frame. Use the rails, and make new cross members. This could be done up like a 32 frame. Highboy.
3, My 90-inch wheelbase altered frame. Extend the frame rails, or move the wheel wells forward. The way this is set up right now, I could add a blade up front and mow the lawn.
4. Start from scratch. I'm looking at a bunch of the frames on here for inspiration.

Time will tell.

I agree on having the frame sorted out before body mods start in earnest. I have three or four options that I am considering, and each of those has three or for variations that could happen. None have risen to the top of the list yet.
1. T-bucket frame that is in the rafters. Add a kick up and run with it.
2. 40 Ford frame. Use the rails, and make new cross members. This could be done up like a 32 frame. Highboy.
3, My 90-inch wheelbase altered frame. Extend the frame rails, or move the wheel wells forward. The way this is set up right now, I could add a blade up front and mow the lawn.
4. Start from scratch. I'm looking at a bunch of the frames on here for inspiration.

Time will tell.

I would say it depends on what you're doing with the car. I vote scratch-built if you plan on boxing in a factory one at all. I have done both by boxing in a factory 1 and hand building them. I suggest hand-built

The body actually looks really good!

I called on those local parts. He have a passenger side door which I already have. But I think I'm going to pick it up and swap it over to be a driver side

I would say it depends on what you're doing with the car. I vote scratch-built if you plan on boxing in a factory one at all. I have done both by boxing in a factory 1 and hand building them. I suggest hand-built

The body actually looks really good!

I called on those local parts. He have a passenger side door which I already have. But I think I'm going to pick it up and swap it over to be a driver side
He had a pair when I was there. Hmmm...

The body does look good, other than it is coming apart at the seams just about everywhere, and the bottom edges are stress damaged and a little bent up. The only real rust is in the bottoms of the cowl sides. Nothing I can't fix, but it will take some time.

What are you doing for door hinges? New stock ones are really expensive. I'm thinking a hidden hinge kit, as I only have the top hinge on each door. Suicide doors are not calling to me, but the kits are less than half the cost of stock hinges. More research is needed.

Frame will likely be the easiest one I can make happen. The only thing that the stock 40 frame has going for it is the front cross member will match up to the 40 axle I have. But that is really not a good enough excuse to hang a car on a worn out frame.

As promised, here are some shots of the more challenged areas of the car. There aren't that many dents in it oddly enough. Mostly stress damage, and panels coming loose form the support pieces. Some of the supports are missing the ends that attach to the floor sub-frame, but that is not really going to be an issue once I get the new floor in.

Attachments

• dam6sm.jpg
    dam6sm.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 28
  • dam5sm.jpg
    dam5sm.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 32
  • dam1sm.jpg
    dam1sm.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Dam2sm.jpg
    Dam2sm.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 35
  • dam3sm.jpg
    dam3sm.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 33
  • dam4sm.jpg
    dam4sm.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 32
And here are the biggest little rust issues.

I was whining to my buddy about needing a lift, but my shop doesn't really have room for a normal one. So I got to thinking. This body doesn't weigh all that much. How about one of those motorcycle lifts. All you motorcycle guys should recognize this little unit from HF. 1100 lb motorcycle lift. Goes up 30 inches. It will get some outriggers and fork extensions to serve as a body lift. It takes up almost no space if it is not in use. More pics when I get the modifications sorted out.

Attachments

• Rust1sm.jpg
    Rust1sm.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Rust2sm.jpg
    Rust2sm.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 31
  • NewLiftsm.jpg
    NewLiftsm.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 37
Yeah he told me the doors he had were for a project. Either way you go it will be cool

I did some more looking at this thing the last couple days, and I don't see any reason why I can't make the parts of the hinges that are missing. I have all the parts that are on the doors, but i am missing the two lower hinge halves on the cowl. They are not complicated. I'll just have to get some accurate measurements.

Saturday, I am going south a ways to look at a beat up back half of another body. The pics look like there is enough salvageable small stuff on it to be worth the asking price. Of course I will try not to pay that much unless it is really really a lot better than I think it is.

I did some more looking at this thing the last couple days, and I don't see any reason why I can't make the parts of the hinges that are missing. I have all the parts that are on the doors, but i am missing the two lower hinge halves on the cowl. They are not complicated. I'll just have to get some accurate measurements.

Saturday, I am going south a ways to look at a beat up back half of another body. The pics look like there is enough salvageable small stuff on it to be worth the asking price. Of course I will try not to pay that much unless it is really really a lot better than I think it is.
I was wrong. There was nothing worth the asking price left of it. He wouldn't even consider my offer. Just walked away. It was a nice drive coming home. I took the long way, hoping to spot some other treasure along the country roads. Not my day to buy parts.

I've been hibernating a lot lately, but not completely. A few acquisitions for this project over the last few weeks.

Dragster style headers, most of a wood kit, a very nice dash top rail, a cool old trunk, and a front reverse-eye spring. I may or may not use the trunk and spring on this project. Time will tell.

The dash cap will "grow" a bit to accommodate a set of very pretty gauges that have been on the shelf for a couple years. I like contrast. :D

Attachments

• P2130035.jpg
    P2130035.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts

Back