TBT: Bob's Car Adventures

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob w

Still crazy after all these years!
I posted my '66 Chevy II SS story under Tripper's thread. Won't make that mistake again. I found a bunch of old snapshots and will share some stories about them on Thursdays.

Today's story happened in 1972. Rod & Custom magazine ran a monthy page on vintage tin, sorta like barn finds now. One month they showed a field full of old cars. Told what town they were in. Happened to be a small town in South Dakota.

My friend Dale called the post office or town hall or whatever and asked if the person knew anybody that had a field full of old cars. Sure enough, the person knew who he was and gave his number to Dale. We called him and asked if he ever sold anything. He said, "sure, come on down".

It truly was a field of dreams. The man had a commercial painting business and had contracts with oil companies. He went around several states painting gas stations. Always took a car trailer with him and picked up a car or two every trip.

We trekked out there and were blown away by the number and desirability of the cars and parts he had. After a day's worth of touring the place I picked out a couple I really liked. A 1934 Ford Vicky and a 1934 Ford Deluxe Sedan. Held my breath when I asked him the price.

He let me hang there, I assumed they were way out of my price range. Then he said, "$400 for the two of 'em.

So, here's the pics. The Vicky on the trailer behind my beloved '68 Chevy CST, And the Sedan still in the snow.

Got them home and soon after realized I couldn't afford to make a hot rod out of either one. Placed an ad in Hemmings and sold the trunk off the sedan for $400. The rest was profit.

Most of us have stories about the ones we wish we had back. This is one of mine.

Attachments

• So. Dak 001.jpg
    So. Dak 001.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 60
  • So. Dak 002.jpg
    So. Dak 002.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 58
I surely wish I had pictures from past adventures. :(

Thanks for sharing yours, Bob. I'll look forward to your weekly posts!

Reminds me of myself. Got some stuff free just for helping drag a bunch of stuff out of the woods. Sat on it a while then realised I couldn't afford to do anything with it, sold or traded it all off.

My First Hot Rod

In 1958 I was 16 years old. Near my grandfather's farm there was this '31 Model A pick up. I drove past it several times and finally stopped and inquired about it. $100.00 and it was mine. Towed it home with a tow bar chained to the bumper.

Dad wasn't happy about giving up a garage space. And the few tools he had were junk. Armed with a hack saw and a 1/4" drill motor, I started on my hot rod building obsession. Put a '48 Ford front end and rear end in it. A modified flathead that had been run in a dirt track car was hacked into place. Had no welder so I would cut and clamp or bolt pieces together and take them to a local welding shop. I flat towed the chassis down there a few times for welding jobs.

A friend was replacing the engine in his '50 Olds so I bought the 303 from him and put it in in place of the flathead. Never ran it with the flattie, or the Olds.

I little later I came across a 265 small block Chevy so out came the Olds and in went the Chevy. Mail ordered the rear wheels from Honest Charlie Speed Shop and painted my first hot rod rattle can black lacquer.

All this took a couple years and during that time I was borrowing money from my younger brother. It was time to go away to a college known for excessive drinking. I owed my brother enough money that I gave the truck to him and got out of my debt.

Thus began my hot rod building and drinking career. Still building, but not drinking, except for one shot of Jim Beam before I go to bed.

Attachments

• Model A Trk 001.jpg
    Model A Trk 001.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Back from 6 weeks in sunny, warm, crowded Florida with another tale from the past. The memory dims so I cannot be sure of the accuracy of the stories.
Pictured is a fiberglass sporty car body, I was told it was a Devin. I was building a fiberglass T bucket Altered, with no money and no time. Busy raising kids and working my butt off. One day I was mocking up engine placement when the block slipped and did minimal but very painful damage to my index finger. That soured me on the project.
I don't remember the details but the "Devin" owner was looking for something different and heard about my stalled T Altered project. I had seen the Devin at the drag strip and a swap was quickly arranged. He kept his engine, trans and rear end and I got the rest. Since I still had no money, it sat in the basement garage collecting dust, household debris and a dead cat. That's a story I'll not share.
Then one day it was gone. To whom, and where, I don't remember. Would like to have it back though.

Attachments

• trophies devin 002.jpg
    trophies devin 002.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 30
In the 60's there was a lot more "vintage tin" laying around, and for a good price. I picked up a couple Model A Victoria bodies, one a steel back and the other a leatherback. One year, when the NSRA Street Rod Nationals was in my home town of St. Paul, Minnesota, I was wandering around looking at various hot rods. I saw a beautiful Green Metallic Model A Vicky from one of the Carolinas. The fella had driven it to the Nats with his wife and young child in tow. I told him I had a couple Vicky bodies at home. He got excited and came home with me to look at them. Said he would buy them if he sold his.

Not much chance of that I figured.

Right after the Nats the family and I took a couple days away at a friends lake home.

When we got home, there was a strange truck parked in my driveway. It was the Vicky owner. He sold the hot rod and bought the truck so he could haul the bodies back to Carolina. "Where have you been?", he said. "We've been sitting in your driveway for two days".

I explained, we made the deal and off went my Vickys.

Attachments

• old pics 003.jpg
    old pics 003.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 21
  • old pics 004.jpg
    old pics 004.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back