My '63 F100 build (pseudo-rat)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sam,

Let me do some measurements, I may be able to just add 4 inches to the front of the bed using the bed side sections, and not have to relocate the wheel wells.

Dobber

Sam,

Let me do some measurements, I may be able to just add 4 inches to the front of the bed using the bed side sections, and not have to relocate the wheel wells.

Dobber

That would be your best bet - moving just the openings back will create a problem behind the wells, not to mentions the bed humps. Adding a section to the front or a 4" strip between the front and opening would be WAY easier. My hack job was a little easier since the 65 bed floor and side panels are not welded together.

Nice truck. I've got a 1961 I've been messing with that i'm looking at selling now. I want to move on to my other projects around here. You have a pretty sweet looking truck though! Keep up the great work!

Sam, that is one kool looking PU.
I'm grabbing a 62 long box as a project to do with my daughters. Needs a new 292 block by the looks of it. Have you done anything with the suspension? Is there anything we can do to drop the ride down alittle with it being leaf springs front & rear?
Hope to keep seeing some more progress. If I grab my girls Im sure they could tell me how to add photos of there new ride.

Hey Culvert, welcome to RRR. Probably not gonna work to much on this one for awhile, my Olds is taking up the work area.

Yeah, you can get 3" drop beams for the front. Or a lot of guys use a Mustang II front end - better not plan on using it like a truck again though. There are other options I've heard of too.

Mine - I didn't do a thing with the front or back. I plan to try dropping the back some by flipping a leaf, but other than that I'm not going to lower it.

One big suggestion I would make is a disc brake conversion. It makes a world of difference.

Thanks Sam,
I tried finding all your post on this truck, so I could picture what I'd like ours to turn out like.
This is a project I want to do with my daughets who are 11 & 13, so 3 year time frame to make it safe & driveable as there first ride.
Up here in Nothern Alberta it much cheaper & easier to just buy new parts then trying to find used. But if I could get a list of whats needed and will bolt up for the brakes I can get started on it now. What did you use for a dics brake kit?
It also needs a new motor(hole punched out of block) in any input on performance parts for a 292?
If you want you can drop me PM with any info or send info to [email protected]

Thanks, Mark

UPDATE: Got my bed all painted purty and bolted down, and installed the tailgate. Used BIG strap hinges cut down for the tailgate - worked and looks good. Still need to attach the bumper (state law), but I went to dig it back out and had forgotten it weighs 90+ Lbs! Who woulda thunk 2 7ft long chunks of 1/4" square tube would weigh so much? :rolleyes: Need to trim that down a bit first. Other than that it's good enough to run for the summer.

The pics don't show it that well, but its a ten footer - that's alright with me! :)

I love head scratchers. ....stuff that looks stock, but you've never seen another one like it.

You need to make up some crazy story like you bought it from a guy that imported it from Russia, it was supposedly built as the personal truck for Nikita Khrushchev. He was a "closet redneck" who like american trucks.

I gotta call the shop Monday and see if my block is done - starting to get the feeling I scrambled my phone number on them. (Hey, I never call myself!)

Anyway, got some work done on my bed bob this week. Got the 65 bed on the truck. Cut 13" out of it - which was longer than my 57 bed by about 4". I'm going to use the old 57 wheel openings and lower rear section. This is mock up - haven't started welding yet.

NOTE: The giant Valentines Day card in the background kinda matches my truck right now! That reminds me....

Like how you used the 57 wheelwell looks sharp. I was never a fan of the 60's bed

Cool truck for a daily driver. I had a 63 also, but it wasnt a unibody and I had mine slammed. I like your paint scheme too. Good job. Not too much, just right.

question for ya

my first car was a 65f100 always loved that dove tail in the back of the cab.

i have a question though
i am trying to find a disc brake conversion that will also switch the bolt pattern over to 5 on 4.5; i am wanting to convert the 63 front axle on my toy-t. I have seen them but I can't find any suppliers. Do you have any suggestions

Can't really help you there. I do know my kit used a rotor from GM late 70's big cars - if that helps at all. Could you have the rotors re-drilled for the smaller bolt pattern?

'63 custom cab

My dad had a '63 . it was blue with HERBO on the doors . He put a Holman Moody 427 in it and raced it at the indoor drags in Chicago . My ma would take us to Pulaski school in it .

Latest posts

Back