Lever arm shocks (hydraulic)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CORPO

Buildin' it his way, one piece at a time...
I know I have heard that the friction style ones don't work all that well... But what about the hydraulic lever arm shocks...? Anyone have some input, I am just wondering how they perform in compaired to modern tube shocks. I like the way they look and I think I would have a less intrusive way to mount them on my front end compaired to a tube shock...

Thanks guys

Most of the old car lever shocks are single action. They only control rebound (or is it compression??? I can't remember). I have used British lever shocks on the front of light hot rods. They look and work good. Frequently found on eBay.

I have home made friction shocks on my '27 roadster. They don't do a lot but they are all that is needed on it.

I used some Delco Lever Action Hydrolic shocks on the rear of my 29 RPU and they worked out real nice with the 40 Ford leaf rear spring. I think they look right on this build and I don't think regular shocks on the rear would have made it any better.

Up front I used regular tube short shocks from Speedway Motors as I had a space concern to work with. I still might redo the front to put in a small Delco that I think was on early Chevy cars or truck.

I think a lot of the choice is in the "LOOK", They just look right on old hot rods.

Attachments

• Rear shocks & Rad Shell 001.jpg
    Rear shocks & Rad Shell 001.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Rear shocks & Rad Shell 002.jpg
    Rear shocks & Rad Shell 002.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Rear shocks & Rad Shell 003.jpg
    Rear shocks & Rad Shell 003.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 46
Some of the lever shocks like those on my 34 Caddy had adjustable damping, here's a pic - though wearing 77 years worth of crud, they still function. It had a lever under the dash and a series of rods etc. linked to all 4 to adjust while driving. There was an article in one of the rod mags a year or so ago about the various Ford style lever shocks and there was a company that rebuilt them. Sometimes they fit better into tight places than tube shocks and definitely have that period look.

Attachments

• sep 05 10  34 cadillac 001z.jpg
    sep 05 10 34 cadillac 001z.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 40
Do any of them have dual action, or were they all single action? I am looking at some from a 40's 3/4 ton chevy that I thought would work well, but I think I need resistance in both compression and rebound.

thanks guys

There was an article on rebuilding them a few months ago in one of the big car mags. You can probably find it with the Goog.

Beercan

Very nice rear shock set up, old28. The ones he used look like double action.

Chevy trucks got by with single action shocks for years so they might work ok if you have pretty stiff springs on your ride.

CORPO

The Delco I have on the rear are double action, but they are way stiffer on compression than on rebound. They are fine on light hot rods with stiff springs like (bob w) said.

If your doing a heavy rod I don't think you would be happy with the overall performance they would provide.

If you find some good double action that came off a vintage 3/4 ton they might work out fine for a heavy hot rod. This may be a case were "the right look" may have to take second place.

Good Luck [;)

If you are looking at a functional shock the lever will have very little resistance in one direction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Aust...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4152b120bf
Here's a British double action shock. you can see two distinct cylinders. Look at old28's shocks and you can see two cylinders that are opposed. I think (but am not positive) that all double action shocks will have two cylinders either side by side, like the British shock or opposed, like old28's shocks.

Last edited:
thanks bob for the help.. I think I need some pretty good resistance in the front.. I just dont know how I can mount tube shocks and have it look decent... I need pretty long shocks due to the front being bagged I will need at least 6" of travel in the shock.. 8 in the rear

The Ford style lever shocks are double action. You could consider a gas shock that can be laid flat and use a pushrod/bellcrank arrangement. That would add visual excitement too.

I am reasonably sure that (bob w) is correct on the apposing pistons as I have on the rear. The other two sets I sold to a fellow rodder only had one are were single action.

I had another set of large Delco with arms about 12" long and they only had a total travel of about 10". I don't know if they made any with the travel you need. Even these were single action.

Good luck with your search and let use know what you come up with.

thanks for all the input guys.. dont know what I am going to do yet.. Ill have to think on it a bit

Latest posts

Back