Patina preservation experiment

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliebob

Thought some of you might be interested in an experiment comparing PB Blaster (PBB) and Fluid Film (FF), a lanolin based product, for preservation of patina.

Treatments were applied to original rust and paint on a 47 Ford Jailbar cab section.

The first pic is immediately after application, while the second pic is after 71 days outside.

For the first few days, FF is too shiny for my taste, but not bad later. PBB keeps much more of the original rust look.

PBB is much easier to apply than the thick FF, but its water beading capability does not last near as long. After over two months, FF still beads water.

The third pic is after a single treatment of phosphoric acid (Ospho). Phosphoric acid converts iron oxide--rust--into inert ferrric phosphate. As can be seen in the pic, exposed rust is turned white. What surprised me is that it brought out color in the 73 year old paint.

PBB is easy to apply with a spritzer. Excess can be wiped off with a rag. The odor is an effective "social distancer!!" But the odor goes away if left in the sun for a couple of days.

FF is much more pleasant to use, but takes more effort and time to apply.

When I built my 56 Dodge about 5 years ago, I first used CLR and a random orbital sander with a medium Scotch Brite pad. It makes a very messy slurry, but brings out paint that is covered by surface rust. Since then I have treated the truck every few months with PB Blaster (PB). PB is easy to apply with a spritzer, then wipe off excess.

Anyhow, I am switching to FF. The experiment continues, and I have started a second experiment with a first Scotch Brite treatment of CLR and PBB followed a few days later by FF.

Attachments

• Untitled 1.jpg
    Untitled 1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Untitled 2.jpg
    Untitled 2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 46
Look up "Gibbs oil",Seems to work pretty good but haven't had it out in the weather to check longevity.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20200215_212117[1269].jpg
    20200215_212117[1269].jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 49
Look up "Gibbs oil",Seems to work pretty good but haven't had it out in the weather to check longevity.

attachment.php

Thanks. I am aware of Gibbs oil and many other suggestions for patina preservation, but I'm not interested in a large experiment.

Just passing along what I learned from my limited test.

Here are results of a second experiment.

Initial treatments were CLR, Nothing, and Ospho (phosphoric acid), L to R in the first pic. This was followed 12 days later with Fluid Film (FF) applied to all. The second pic was taken 3 weeks after the initial treatments. Surprisingly, Ospho brought out a lot of color from the 73 year old paint.

Attachments

• Second Patina Experiment Day 3 but before FF.jpg
    Second Patina Experiment Day 3 but before FF.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Second Patina Experiment Day 20 12 days after FF.jpg
    Second Patina Experiment Day 20 12 days after FF.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 31
Here are results of a second experiment.

Initial treatments were CLR, Nothing, and Ospho (phosphoric acid), L to R in the first pic. This was followed 12 days later with Fluid Film (FF) applied to all. The second pic was taken 3 weeks after the initial treatments. Surprisingly, Ospho brought out a lot of color from the 73 year old paint.

When I first bought my 48 Ford years ago, it had places where the paint had worn away and I wanted to keep that look but protect the metal, so I wiped the entire car down with Ospho. It turned the rusty spots to dull black and it did clean up the paint as you describe. The car has been stored now for about 10 years, maybe, and it still looks the same.

Here is an update, with pics of the first experiment after 140 days, and the second experiment after 90 days. Third pic is of Ospho after 105 days.

All have been outside from day 1.

Attachments

• Patina treatment day 140.jpg
    Patina treatment day 140.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Second Patina Experiment Day 90 after FF.jpg
    Second Patina Experiment Day 90 after FF.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Patina treatment Day Ospho 105.jpg
    Patina treatment Day Ospho 105.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 18
Just another update. Here is the second experiment after 180 days outside. I'm amazed at how well FF holds up.

Attachments

• Second Patina Experiment Day 185 after FF.jpg
    Second Patina Experiment Day 185 after FF.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Back