1936 Diamond T with 6BT cummins

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks guys!

We got a little more done on the Diamond T since the video. We ordered a 'momentary' switch for the original electric horn. Brian made a bracket for the switch on the inside of the upper console, and we put a hole through for a pull cord. So, the horn will activate with a pull of the cord like an air horn.

Colors are a little distorted from the flash, but it shows detail better than no flash:

The cord that is on the switch now is just temporary - I am still deciding what to use for the final pull cord. Any ideas? I think it needs to be shorter and probably dark brown. Anything too heavy (like beads) would probably swing around too much.

yesterday we started working on the running boards. We decided we wanted to add a third support under them because the original 2 flexed quite a bit and we are bigger than people back in the 30s were haha. So, Brian fabbed up some brackets that worked like the originals. This meant we were 4 carriage bolts short though, so that is as far as we got on that yesterday.

Someone asked us one time, ''how many grinders DO you need?". Um, at least one more? haha

and, sharing a little of my husband's artwork. Truck was made from an old mudflap hanger from the log truck trailer and bits from the scrap bin.

I also have an arsenal of grinders... can't have too many!

I dig the art as well... on the side, I think I like Rainier... we used to get it here, haven't seen it on our shelves for years, now. [S

thanks guys!

I am still deciding what to use for the final pull cord. Any ideas? I think it needs to be shorter and probably dark brown. Anything too heavy (like beads) would probably swing around too much.

Paracord tied in a hangman's noose.

Last edited:
sorry it's been so long since I have updated - we are still plugging away and getting really close to it being really road-worthy. We did take it around the block again yesterday and did have some minor tire rubbing when the springs went under compression on a corner. Normal driving on flat road it didn't rub, but pulling through the grass, it did. We spent most of the spring raising the cab and all the tin up an inch for tire clearance. It was almost enough I guess. We also switched from 2'' wheel spacers to 1.5''. It was almost enough I guess. I think it is close enough we can live with it though, it's never going to have a showroom paint job in our lifetime. It WILL get paint though. We keep going back and forth. Something original for this truck would be an aqua/turquoise color - but it looks so good in black haha. Black goes good with everything. Then, we think - black cherry would be nice. Or a black/bronze color would be awesome too. Too many colors we like!

Anyhow - we worked on the rotten fender replacing a large section of rot and severe damage. We cut out a chunk from a fender with severe damage in other places and grafted it into the original fender.

20180605_170054 by Karin Vail, on Flickr

Brian is getting better at the sheet metal welding - this turned out the best of any sheet metal welds he has done. It is almost metal-finishable! It will need VERY little body filler. He did tack by tack and cooled each and every tack along the way and got almost no shrinkage. He also did it by spreading it along several days. I forgot to get a pic of the final welds, oops.

We got the exhaust ALMOST done too - just need to decide on stack mounts. Brian is trying to think hard how he can mount the stacks without a cab mount, but without a big ugly mount high off the frame. Any suggestions?

20180624_134453-1 by Karin Vail, on Flickr

"We got the exhaust ALMOST done too - just need to decide on stack mounts. Brian is trying to think hard how he can mount the stacks without a cab mount, but without a big ugly mount high off the frame. Any suggestions?"

This a challenge that Daimler hasn't sorted out either. At least not before I retired. Maybe some well hidden behind the pipes little ugly mounts just high enough off the frame? Something that looks like a headache rack perhaps? If you add rubber vibration dampers of some sort to the mounts, it will cut down on a few issues. Since you are not likely to be taking it long-haul, is should hold up fine with smaller supports.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back