Flowmasters

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldboy

Hello,
I have a pair of flowmaster 40s on the old 392, which sound great,
But sadly i now live in a place where i actually am disturbing the peace.
(Had a issue with a neighors barking dogs but thats another story)
So now i have to be careful when i start and run the car which is a drag.
I am looking for a decent muffler that sounds good, doesnt reduce performance and is not too expensive.
Any ideas? Thanks

Way back when we would use corvair turbo mufflers. Pretty quiet till you put your foot in it.

they better be glad i'm not their neighbor. i like the thrush red bullets, they seem to rattle the windows. i'm with the other two, the turbo's may be your best bet.

Hello,
I have a pair of flowmaster 40s on the old 392, which sound great,
But sadly i now live in a place where i actually am disturbing the peace.
(Had a issue with a neighors barking dogs but thats another story)
So now i have to be careful when i start and run the car which is a drag.
I am looking for a decent muffler that sounds good, doesnt reduce performance and is not too expensive.
Any ideas? Thanks

40's are my fav muffler but Mrs Tripper says I won't be sneakin' up on anybody! Maybe Flowmaster 50/60/70's? For price... I think Speedway/Jegs make Flowmaster ripoffs.

https://www.autoanything.com/exhausts-mufflers/flowmaster-muffler-comparison-guide

BoB

Get new neighbors. I don't think it was the noise that bothered them, it more likely the burnouts on their lawn. Some people just don't appreciate the finer things in life. [ddd
Run it with open headers for a week. Then they will love your 40s.

I have / had my share of crap with neighbours.... Two things I learned during the process :

- Neighbours are overrated
- When your mufflers are done, there will be a next thing.

So, if you want my advise... as long as it`s within reason and legal what you do, give em the bird and do what you like.

Turbo mufflers would be a wee bit quieter...

But I'm not sure that it will pacify someone who doesn't appreciate the sweet sound of those 40 flowmasters.... :D

I haven't driven my car with 40's (400hp 350) since this thread started until today & I have to say... they're not that loud! They're not quiet by any means but nothing obnoxious & definitely legal. Me thinks your neighbor may be a crybaby... well... you know!!!

BoB

I haven't driven my car with 40's (400hp 350) since this thread started until today & I have to say... they're not that loud! They're not quiet by any means but nothing obnoxious & definitely legal. Me thinks your neighbor may be a crybaby... well... you know!!!

BoB

Yep, my truck has 40 Delta Flows and they're definitely not obnoxious.

I'll send you a free set of 3" blackwidow mufflers. Put those on and they will want the flowmasters back:D

My neighbors knew better than say anything about my mufflers because they knew I’d pull out my car with zoomies! [ddd

Toad

:D I put Lobak 3 1/2"spiral core mufflers on my 65 Goat.
Friday and Saturday nights, on my way home at 1 to 3 in the morning, the car alarms would start going off, as I past by, about half a block away before I got there [ddd[ddd[ddd

I know it is an old thread, but adding a couple of feet of exhaust tubing after the muffler, will quiet things down a lot more than just having the muffler be on the end of the pipe or having turn downs.

Latest posts

Back