Rebuild flat head water pumps

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MercuryMac

Builder Junky!
I'm sadder and wiser this morning after making a tech article yesterday.
When you rebuild flathead Ford water pumps, you have to have some previous experience, to get those darn things apart. First of all, there is a snapring behind the pulley that has to come out. That's the one that holds the water pump bearing in the housing neck. I have not tried to take the snapring out with the pulley still on, but you will eventually have to take the pulley off, so now is the time to do it. The pulley is shrunk onto the shaft eighty years ago, so it's going to give you grief. It is thin cast iron, also eighty years old, and really stuck onto the shaft. This tech article is about getting the pulley off in one piece. Heat the pulley hub up, but try not to heat the rest of the pulley too much, because the driver that you just made out of a piece of pipe will bend the pulley out of shape if the pulley is red. Place the driver in past the neck of the housing onto the back of the pulley and hammer on the top end of the driver. The pulley might come off, then.
Now with the pulley off, you go around the back side of the pump and heat up the impeller hub. The impeller is thin cast iron, eighty years old, and been immersed in water for ever, so be careful. There is another snapring inside the housing neck, at the back of the bearing that you can't see or feel so you have to drive the bearing and shaft out through the front of the pump housing. So once the impeller is good and hot, put a punch on the shaft end in the middle of the impeller and drive the shaft forwards, out through the impeller and the housing neck. Then you can order new bearing kits, and reverse the procedure. The blue thing that looks like half of a pipe with two funny ends on it, is my pulley driver. --- Good Luck. Oh ya, if I remember right the shaft is grooved to accept the ball bearings so the shaft is the inner race, so the shaft and bearing are one piece and come out together.

Attachments

• IMG_1902.jpg
    IMG_1902.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1903.jpg
    IMG_1903.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1905.jpg
    IMG_1905.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Here's a picture of the snapring that is annoying, down inside the pump neck. That means the pump shaft and bearing have to be pressed out the front of the housing. And that means that brittle, old, fragile impeller must come off the shaft.
There is also a picture of what the shaft and bearing look like so you know what you're driving out.

Attachments

• IMG_1906.jpg
    IMG_1906.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1907.jpg
    IMG_1907.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 34
This just points to why I always used send mine to someone to do them mac.[ddd
I took one of these apart 40 or so years ago and learned my lesson then. :eek: :D
Torchie

Think I'd order some...LOL

Not afraid to tackle things that I've never done but sometimes wonder if it's worth the effort.... guess I'm getting old... :D For the price of the new improved ones, I'm thinking it might just be the way to go.... [S

Latest posts

Back