The Roofus Special

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Playing with parts
IMG_4685_zpse4ce69bf.jpg

IMG_4686_zps5bf37733.jpg

IMG_4688_zps92fbbe11.jpg

IMG_4689_zps62df087a.jpg

IMG_4690_zpsf9a9c25c.jpg

IMG_4691_zpsde381c20.jpg

IMG_4692_zps82f79b89.jpg

It should look something like this. ball joint bolts will be underneath
IMG_4694_zpse2ef8b53.jpg

IMG_4695_zpsebf24da3.jpg

This is where I quit for the day.
IMG_4696_zps111ef8f7.jpg

I realized I forgot to explain how cool the vintage mercedes pieces are and what the whole plan is... coppied from another board...

dodgedartgt said:
Can you use those holes in the pivot shaft to mount the shaft like a GM part, so you can shim for caster / camber adjustments?

That is the beauty of using the Mercedes pieces. The pivot bushings are threaded in such a way that the arm can be moved front to back along the shaft.

IMG_4691_zpsde381c20.jpg

The whole a-arm mount will be mounted on a plate that will bolt to the side of the frame and will be shimmable for camber changes.

I have a lot more welding and grinding to go to make it look presentable, but I think I finally found something that has that 30's high tech vibe that I was searching for....

Looks like you are making some good progress on that suspension. [cl[cl

That's a good eye ya have there too........don't know if I'd have spotted that dash hiding on that lawnmower :D:cool:

Dad said he was going to haul off the mower, and asked me if I saw anything I could use....I looked down and saw a dashboard [S

You know you are going to have to get a SS kitchen sink so you can say you did put everything including the sink in it! Just cut a gauge panel out of it and engine turn it

The aero-strut cross section is a very nice design element. Looks like welding chrome vanadium steel is not an issue. Not many people look at a wrench and see an A arm.[cl

Looks like there is a pretty good chance that I will get to work on my a-arms this weekend.

Hopefully it will be mostly doing and not as much figuring out what to do. :)

Two productive days and I should have a rolling chassis.

a "rolling chassis" means it is on 4 wheels rolling not rolling it upside down to weld more!:D

On a serious note I am waiting with bated breath. This is one of my favorite builds. [P

a "rolling chassis" means it is on 4 wheels rolling not rolling it upside down to weld more!:D

On a serious note I am waiting with bated breath. This is one of my favorite builds. [P

It is gonna be rolling sideways again when I do the floors.

Yeah, me too. I really wish I had a shop at my house. ....this build shouldn't have taken nearly this long!

But all in all, it probably helped with me ending up with the overall design that I have found. When I started out, this wasn't exactly what I was planning to build. I really like the shape.

IMG_2577.jpg

...and the way it just "fits".
IMG_2585.jpg

That video is awesome! Pretty amazing camera work for the time too I'd say. [cl

Snow, spiked tires, hot chocolate, wiener snitzel, vodka, hot babes in victory lane..........what's not to like! [cl[cl And I think I seen the "Roofus Special" in there too! :cool:

As if I wasn't fired up enough..... Y'all have to watch this video!

(and the media questions the safety of watching nascar?)

http://www.svtplay.se/klipp/129752?type=embed

That was a very cool video to watch. Thanks for sharing it!:cool:

Germany, I assume? I was surprised by the number of old Fords in an obviously European setting... LOTS of A-bones in the parking lot and those cut-down Deuce "Specials" looked quite cool racing around with the Bugatti's and Alfa's and Benz's.:cool::D

You realise, you [totally/I] need split windscreens on Roofus, right?;)

Regards,
Shea:)

Latest posts

Back