Quarter-Elliptic springs

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moparfinman

Hi I'm new here. I have a 31 Plymouth Coupe that want to build w/quarter-elliptic springs up front. I've seen several done at shows and want to know now they fair? (ride) I'm planing on running a 354 hemi, will this be to much weight? for these since they are only half springs. I want it to ride low and this seems to be the best way. I want to build it to look nosalgic.
Fender less.:rolleyes:

quarter elliptic springs are much like normal leafs. The bigger the stack, the more weight they hold up, and the stiffer the ride. It may take a little fine tuning, but I think you will get want. Welcome to the site.

Coupe in Bonehead thread

HI, What year/make is the coupe in your thread?

Attachments

• feb4ebay 023.jpg
    feb4ebay 023.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 24
I have a 32 Dodge PU with that front suspension--Its a little soft for me though--needs some more leafs.

PA41

Attachments

• 100_0096.jpg
    100_0096.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 117
Did my 41 with Quarter Elliptic front springs, ended up having to build links to hold the axle centered. It works great except on the crappy farm to market roads here, drives fine I just got my springs a little stiff but can live with that because it handles so well. I'll try to get a pic up, looks like I've lost the pics I had on my puter. Later Whit

That setup looks like the chassis end is just a lightweight bolt on bracket, when it has to support the weight of the car, plus the torque of the axle under drive etc.

Mind you, it looks like the rest of the chassis is fairly light gauge steel too.

Yeah I've got several questions about it too, it looks like the springs are very close to the frame rails. May just be the pic though. I like the concept though!!

That's a lot of twist on those little bolts! Looks like 3/8" bolts, maybe four of them in each stand? Pretty flimsy. But then, it isn't finished yet.

My '39 Pontiac gasser, built in 1964, had quarter-elliptic suspension front and rear...here's a couple pics of the front suspenion...the rear also had 4' long lift bars...

Attachments

• 39 gasser 4.jpg
    39 gasser 4.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 39 gasser 5.jpg
    39 gasser 5.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 128
I put them on the frt of my 37 Pontiac but I am only going to run a inline 6.
I haven't driven it yet and the pics are just a mock/tack up so far.
I just like how it looks.

Attachments

• S6301388 005.jpg
    S6301388 005.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 100
  • S6301271 002.jpg
    S6301271 002.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 89
  • S6301287 009.jpg
    S6301287 009.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 82
Last year I helped my son build a fiberglass T-Bucket for a Senior Project at ASU as it had to be done in a timely manor he chose a simple car to build, him and his two class mates put in about 1500 hours during the design and build of the project. As a lot of the project was pulled from my stuff we used a lot of things that were different about how we did the car one notable thing was he chose to use Quarter-Elliptic springs both front and rear we used springs from a Suzuki Samurai (they are two inches wide) and as we were punting at the time as to the total weight (460. C-6, nine inch) we figured that the weight on the springs could be adjusted at a later date, The boys finished the car with about two weeks to spare (so they could concentrate on finals) the car was tested using accelerometers to check acceleration braking and lateral forces .88 accel .91 braking and .85 lateral (on seven cylinders,bad cam). During the design phase he learned a lot of people use quarter elliptic s as the lateral stability system IE instead of a panhard bar, springs are meant to do the work of springs and bend well up and down, not so good sideways. His car has Watts links both front and rear. My son also has a 2010 Mustang with a drag pac and the T-Bucket will out handle and out run it.:cool:

Latest posts

Back