'59 Chevy pickup - long chassis

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZRodDave

It jumped onto my trailer and just wouldn't get off, honest !!! :D

P6300176_zps9d516624.jpg

This one came down from Oregon, so it has more rust in the corners than the '56 cab. The guy bought it to restore and then found a better one from Californee that he is restoring for his daughter. He had already rebuilt the front end and the rear, with new e-brake cable and some other things. Stole the 235 for his other truck, and the 4 speed, but this cab has the pedals and steering column and a little nicer dash, though the usual idiot holes from a crummy radio install.

P6300178_zps7f25bb51.jpg

Originally a Fleetside long bed with three on the tree, but converted to a 4 spd, and that's fine by me since it isn't going to be a restoration. Not sure just what it will be, but lots of good parts for $300. ;)

P6300179_zpsce915514.jpg

W0W

''It jumped onto my trailer and just wouldn't get off, honest !!! '

l hate it when that happens:rolleyes:

looks like a good starting rig for project [;)hinhint

Later:cool:

'l hate it when that happens :rolleyes:

looks like a good starting rig for project [;) hint hint

Just what kind of skull-duggery would you propose? I am open to suggestions. :D

Are you finding all this stuff on Craigs?

Yup! I use the Search and put in low dollar amounts and year limits. I think my Saved Search is 1920-1980 (only because I love '70s Chevy trucks) and Min. $20 (to weed out the no price or $1 idiots) up to $1500. Sure makes it easier finding not only things I might want, but can afford! Done buying for now, so you can have the 1957 CJ5 and some others I've seen. ;)

Last edited:
Got it off the trailer today and into the back yard. I had started to finesse it, letting it roll a little at a time, then decided to let 'er fly. After all, there is a railroad tie which will certainly stop it. Well, it didn't! Bounced over it and stopped short of the block wall, thankfully. :)

Did you get the rest of the sheet metal AZ ??

Nope, that was all there was, and no title either. Just have to find someone that doesn't want an arm and a leg (and possibly a testicle!) for the parts. They are around, just greed mongers so far. Besides, I think I will go with the earlier front end parts. Not really into the dual headlights. I saw a GMC years ago that had the coolest grille for these trucks. Maybe get lucky there too! :)

Yup! I use the Search and put in low dollar amounts and year limits. I think my Saved Search is 1920-1980 (only because I love '70s Chevy trucks) and Min. $20 (to weed out the no price or $1 idiots) up to $1500. Sure makes it easier finding not only things I might want, but can afford! Done buying for now, so you can have the 1957 CJ5 and some others I've seen. ;)

Tried this, way cool! Thanks[cl

Nope, that was all there was, and no title either. Just have to find someone that doesn't want an arm and a leg (and possibly a testicle!) for the parts. They are around, just greed mongers so far. Besides, I think I will go with the earlier front end parts. Not really into the dual headlights. I saw a GMC years ago that had the coolest grille for these trucks. Maybe get lucky there too! :)

It is a shame you are 2000 miles away I have two very nice single light fenders / rad support and a cherry hood in stash ,,, of course just what you wanted to hear huh ??
Oldog

It is a shame you are 2000 miles away I have two very nice single light fenders / rad support and a cherry hood in stash ,,, of course just what you wanted to hear huh ??
Oldog

Haha. Well yeah. Shipping something like that would be a major undertaking, and would have to be insured and all that. I found a hood for $200, doors about the same for each. Can almost buy a complete truck for what the asking prices add up to, but what fun is that ???

Tried this, way cool! Thanks[cl

You're welcome! ;)

Haha. Well yeah. Shipping something like that would be a major undertaking, and would have to be insured and all that. I found a hood for $200, doors about the same for each. Can almost buy a complete truck for what the asking prices add up to, but what fun is that ???

You're welcome! ;)

Yeah, tons of that stuff around here. I just gave away 4-5 good doors to get them out of here. And last spring I had 4-5 hoods but sold them to a guy in Lithuania who bought a 59 one ton from me.

Yeah, tons of that stuff around here. I just gave away 4-5 good doors to get them out of here. And last spring I had 4-5 hoods but sold them to a guy in Lithuania who bought a 59 one ton from me.

Wow! How the heck did you ship them to Lithuania? Maybe they went with the truck, which probably wasn't cheap either!? You guys are breaking my heart!

I talked to a guy who has a Custom Fleetside bed that was converted into a trailer. I doubt that there is one square foot on it that is actually straight, the wood is all rotted away, and the bottom is so rusted out I am surprised it still holds anything. It's full of trash too. Have a friend with a bare bed, no fenders, but that is not a priority unless it is nearly free! I'll keep looking, but pretty poor right now, so wouldn't be able to buy anyway. Front end parts more important. I can make a flatbed out of nearly free wood!

Also got a closer look at the truck today. Someone along the line doubled up on the rear springs, and not installed correctly. I think they did it to raise the back end? Also welded the bed supports onto the frame instead of putting bolts through. How hard is it to find bolts? Guess a trip to Ace Hardware was too much for them. Ah well, plenty to do, and this one is second on the list anyway. Well ... maybe. LOL The other one is kinda ticking me off right now.

Last edited:
Pretty sure I have a couple sets of doors for it and I'm not that far from the front sheet metal that someone has in Michigan. O and I go thru Arizona every other month or so.

Pretty sure I have a couple sets of doors for it and I'm not that far from the front sheet metal that someone has in Michigan. O and I go thru Arizona every other month or so.

That would really be great! Especially if I can find some money! I have one set of doors already, so only need another, and two sets of front sheet metal. [cl

Meanwhile, the trusty ole Suburban seems to be on its last legs (or wheels and tires, really), so may just pull that engine and trans and donate to this project. Also, the dually rear end I have will bolt right up! So other than front sheet metal, I may just have all the pieces to make this thing go!!!

Last edited:
There are actually two, okay three. 1st is the right rear, sounds like a brake dragging or wheel bearing going bad, and has been ongoing for a while; 2nd sounds like the rear end (possibly left), rotational and related to speed, like u-joint or axle related; and the third (the big one) is if I get on the gas from a stop, it sounds like the engine or trans wants to jump out of the truck and could be motor mount or flex plate or ... If I crawl away from a stop, it is okay. This is the most recent development and the most alarming. All three are probably a cheap and easy fix since it is a Chevy, and I will admit using them as an excuse to steal the engine and trans for one of the pickups! I would MUCH rather be driving one of those! :D

Last edited:
This is one of the reasons I can't sleep at night sometimes:

Been thinking about what to do with these two projects of mine. Focusing on the '59 here, I've considered swapping the 4.3 L into this truck as a quick(er) and easy(er?) way to get a running and driving classic sooner than later. Not sure how strong the stock rear end is in this thing since it originally had a 235 straight 6 and crashbox 4 spd., and not sure what the final drive ratio is (3.9:1?), but it would probably be "safer" to go with less power and avoid breakage, not to mention the likely "marginal" brakes as I remember them on my old bone stock '46 and the many early '60s Chevy trucks I've owned. Putting in more power is probably not a good idea without other "upgrades."

Then again, I could take this one and swap the dually rear end into it, upgrade the brakes and front end, throw in a V8 and make it a hot rod. But that is the idea for the other one (Hodge Podge), so why have two of the same? Besides, this one is more complete in its originality, and I rather like that. I'm not going to do a restoration, so a V6 auto would be just fine. Dually optional.

Opinions? [P

Gonna need parts

How much for a set of doors? Had a set located here for $150, but missed out. Also, if we could coordinate with the front end parts and deliver, that would be prayers answered! I'll see what I can do to raise funds.

Oldog

How much would you want for this stuff? Hopefully we can coordinate and get it all to AZ somehow. Worth pursuing (and raising funds for!). I don't suppose there's a grille in there somewhere ... :)

Turns out those doors were still available, ad had expired, so now only need front fenders, hood, rad support, grille, etc. This project is second in line, so no hurry. Back to the ratty truck...

Also had a little mis-adventure with the trusty old Suburban which blew a tire on the way home. The worthless OEM jack was no help, and I had taken out the floor jack I usually carry to help jockey the '56 body around. D'Oh!!! Luckily a friend lives nearby, so he brought a floor jack and made it home safe once more. He had owed me $20, so I guess we are even now! :) Thanks Tom!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back