Graham build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still at it

Hey everyone...still plugging away. Life has been in the way a bit, but have been making progress on getting the trunk hinges to work. Again, will post some more pictures later this week or next......

Finally!

Ok, it's not much to look at, but at least it's progress! I finally managed to get some trunk hinges to work....I've been screwing with a few different ideas, but wasn't able to make any of them work. I finally found these hoops, and fabbed up some structure for the back of the car at the same time. It's not pretty, but it will all be covered up some day anyway.....

Attachments

• 100_3313.JPG
    100_3313.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 100_3314.JPG
    100_3314.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 127
Some door work

A little more progress.....it's tough finding time in this nice weather - been away on a bike trip, etc....plus the heat......but here's a couple of quick shots of what I've been up to. Plus, I'm not sure I want to rush this....this is WAY too much fun!!!

Attachments

• 100_3316.JPG
    100_3316.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 100_3317.JPG
    100_3317.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 112
Congrats BillM, awesome build[cl[cl Your overall design is great, I'm using an Econoline front axle and would like to run it under the frame as well...your design is the cleanest I've seen yet. Also a great story line with the car being in the family and all.

A little update....put the car back together today, time to figure out the steering column, pedals, seat location, shifter etc.....

I started with the steering column. I have a box from an old econoline, but so far not much luck locating it. I am considering using a steering column from an old cavalier, it has tilt, and with my frame (my frame, not the car), I think I need it.....though I am not too keen on using a modern steering column.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement....after a day like today, they come in handy!

Attachments

• 100_3322 (2).jpg
    100_3322 (2).jpg
    96 KB · Views: 138
  • 100_3323 (2).jpg
    100_3323 (2).jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 100_3324 (2).jpg
    100_3324 (2).jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 127
Opinions please.....

So, I'm trying to somewhat capture a "60's" sort of feel with my car....that said, I tried to install a steering box out of a 62 econoline, with the straight column. No way was it going to work. I pulled this column out of a Z24 I had laying around....the price was right, and it has tilt, which is VERY nice, especially considering the chop and channel, and me being 6' tall....

How offensive is it? I'm not fond of it, but it is growing on me....and the price was right!!!

Thanks.....

P.S....pay no attention to the wheel....it'll go even if the column stays.......

Attachments

• 100_3326.JPG
    100_3326.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 118
  • 100_3327.JPG
    100_3327.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 113
So, I'm trying to somewhat capture a "60's" sort of feel with my car....that said, I tried to install a steering box out of a 62 econoline, with the straight column. No way was it going to work. I pulled this column out of a Z24 I had laying around....the price was right, and it has tilt, which is VERY nice, especially considering the chop and channel, and me being 6' tall....

How offensive is it? I'm not fond of it, but it is growing on me....and the price was right!!!

Thanks.....

P.S....pay no attention to the wheel....it'll go even if the column stays.......

First off, kudos to you sir on doing a very classy job of updating Great Grandpa's car.[cl:cool:

I wouldn't even worry about the steering wheel... I find 'em comfy and have put one in EVERY GM I've owned the past 15 years... Okay, except for the Cavalier that already had one.:D Would probably look a bunch nicer with some sort of a "banjo spoked" wheel on there. Wouldn't worry much about the tilt wheel. They're so commonplace these days.

I'm located in Ontario, too-Oshawa, home of the Impala, Equinox and "Camaro.";) Great to see more and more Canadians here!

Great car, great story. Thanks for sharing![P

Regards,
Shea:)

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone! It's greatly appreciated! This is the best damn site on the internet!!...for the best hobby ever invented!

Just a quick photo from today....the rad shell, with the grille and rad in it, and the seats are now bolted to the floor.

Attachments

• 100_3331.jpg
    100_3331.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 93
Still plugging away....

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Here's a bit of an update...life's been getting in the way lately, but I'm not on a schedule anyway.....nor do I want this to end!

I have the grille in the shell now, as well as the rad, and have it all mounted, with the exception of the support rods.....I tried to get a picture of the bracket I built for the rad "assembly"...I didn't want to put any undue stress on the rad itself, so it's mounted in the center - bolts to the spring perch.

As well, the seat are in, supported by some frames I built.

Attachments

• 100_3331.JPG
    100_3331.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 97
  • 100_3332.JPG
    100_3332.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 100_3334.JPG
    100_3334.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 100_3335.JPG
    100_3335.JPG