Sun Tacho

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

23crate

bear with me ....

down under we dont see too many Sun Tachos.

thinking that the "Greenline" is circa early mid 60s, im shopping round for one on ebay or similar - for the Stude

what id like to know -- somewhere i think ive seen a secret transmitter box that connects the tacho to everthing.

OR are they just simple 4 wire . coil batt, ign etc. and / or is the seccret transmitter box used for electronic ignition only ??

thanks !

I am sure others can offer more expertise, but yes, the early Sun Tachs used a "box" long before electronic ignitions were a thing. Very expensive, even back it the day.

I don't know what it's all about, but there's definitely something about the gizmo box. Like Skip said, you have to have it to make it work.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time. There are many vendors offering "retro" gauges of excellent quality...

Around 200 bucks, American.

Attachments

• s-l1600[1].jpg
    s-l1600[1].jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 20
Yeah, early Sun tachs used the transmitter box. Sometime in the 60’s they went to the 3 wire hookup, coil, hot, and ground + light hot if it had a light. I think most, if not all , of the ones that need the box are 90* sweep. I’m not 100% sure on the green line ones, they were mid 60’s I think, so they might need a box or not. I’d ask the seller if they know.

Read what I just wrote, and I ain’t much help, am I?:D

Crikey !! .. thats big $$$ !!!

thanks for your input guys.. id be better chasing an oem stude one for way less !!

but i think ill look for an aftermarket later model unit..

So you're telling me that this talk I'm holding in my hand right now will not work without that stupid box!? Well if that's the case I guess there's no reason to mounted in my Coupe

Attachments

• 0804202144_HDR.jpg
    0804202144_HDR.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 0804202145_HDR.jpg
    0804202145_HDR.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 19
so I just did some quick looking on the inter webs and only found 1 listing for the re-88 sun tach. the guy had it for sale and claimed it did not need a box to work. also have saw the fz-88 was the same way. no box required. now I'm really confused[S

There are a few places that can convert the old tachs to work without the box, but I can’t tell you who they are, just seen their advertising. You can find a new 90* sweep tach cheaper I would imagine. I’d just go with a Super II, they look old school but are modern 3 wire hookup.

so I just did some quick looking on the inter webs and only found 1 listing for the re-88 sun tach. the guy had it for sale and claimed it did not need a box to work. also have saw the fz-88 was the same way. no box required. now I'm really confused[S

My searches indicate - Sun made "one piece" and "two piece" tachs of this style simultaneously.

- One piece is just like it sounds, complete with internal circuitry.

- Two piece requires the external box.

Here's a two piece tach. It clearly requires a transmitter box and has only two electrical terminals which connect to the appropriate external box.

attachment.php

And here's a transmitter box made for a 6V - 4 cylinder application. Notice the terminals marked "Meter". Those two would run to the two terminals on the "universal" tach head.

attachment.php

Judging by your three terminal connections and the info tag, I firmly believe you have a one piece, stand alone unit. (If it needed an external "converter" box, it wouldn't say 12V - 8 cylinder on the tag.)

Attachments

• SunTach1.jpg
    SunTach1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 9
  • sun tach trasmitter.jpg
    sun tach trasmitter.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 9
My searches indicate - Sun made "one piece" and "two piece" tachs of this style simultaneously.

- One piece is just like it sounds, complete with internal circuitry.

- Two piece requires the external box.

Here's a two piece tach. It clearly requires a transmitter box and has only two electrical terminals which connect to the appropriate external box.

attachment.php

And here's a transmitter box made for a 6V - 4 cylinder application. Notice the terminals marked "Meter". Those two would run to the two terminals on the "universal" tach head.

attachment.php

Judging by your three terminal connections and the info tag, I firmly believe you have a one piece, stand alone unit. (If it needed an external "converter" box, it wouldn't say 12V - 8 cylinder on the tag.)

Yea! Doc to the rescue again. [cl [cl

Latest posts

Back