View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 10:14 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

The guys are 100% right. I marked up a photo to explain why they're saying what they are. The blue arrow is the force being placed on your steel plate, (in an upward direction), and the green lines are the distance between that force and the next support point. When a force is applied to a component away from the nearest support point, this creates a bending force shown by the red curved arrow (in engineering terms it's called a bending moment). If you held the plate with two fingers (one on either edge) and pushed up on the plate the same distance away, the plate would spin. Since the plate is fixed on one end in your case, you're putting a big bending force into that plate that increases and decreases as the suspension loads on it, which also results in cyclic stress and can result in fatigue especially in a poor design.

Make no mistake, this design needs attention before it can be considered safe, as you are at risk of not only bending the plate but can fatigue and crack it and you're testing fate as it is.

The gussets that OI showed should be added at a minimum.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190610_134449.jpg (191.2 KB, 29 views)

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.