1956 hemi truck motor

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was the same old story ran when parked. I did see the truck that it came out of tho. I have a couple of ideas where it could end up. Either in my 57 dodge truck or I have a 1950 Plymouth business coup that I still have to build.

Attachments

• 57 truck body resized.jpg
    57 truck body resized.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_1373.jpg
    100_1373.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 11
I vote for the pickup....my first truck was a 55 Dodge short narrow. Borrowed a "Baby Hemi" out of a '56 Lancer. All this happened in '71. I still miss that truck.

If it gets to much for you just holler I will be happy to take it off of your hands. All kidding aside the early Hemis are a real kick. The truck engines were very close to the standard Chrysler Hemi installed in almost all Chrysler cars with a couple of exceptions. The were lower in compression ratio some of them being as low as 7 to 1. The heads on almost all truck engines also got water into the head in a different spot. Other than these two and other difference is nothing to worry about.

The compression thing is an easy thing by a simple piston swap. The water deal is different you just need a intake manifold that had provisions for the water to get into the heads and a remote thermostat housing.

I also "never" saw any of the early hemi's prone to cracks. These were built long before the day of the thin wall castings and have plenty of meat. the only early hemi's I have ever seen crack are ones used mostly in drag racing. Were the were beat on pretty hard. Trucks got rode pretty hard as well so it is always good to have them checked.

Good luck with your build...

RS

Take it apart and look for, most likely at, the cracks they are famous for.

Could you please elaborate on that? I have a 1956 331 truck engine that was absolutely beautiful on tear down. Not a crack in the house. I built it into this.

Couple of points I learned about them. The truck heads arguably flow as good as the famed "555" heads when you put the 392 size valves in, as I did mine.

The heads also came with hardened exhaust seats way back in 1956. They are also very thick castings.

My block sonic tested very good and .280" was the thinnest spot in any cylinder. Stupid thick. That would stand an easy bore to 4". This is what was called an "extended service" block that was made to be bored many times before having to be sleeved or replaced.

Some say the large "W" cast into the side of the block denotes the extended service engine, but I am not so sure from what I have read. I think the only sure way is to sonic test it. As you can see, they are a fine platform.

Hombre is dead right about the compression, too. That's why I replaced the original pistons in mine with the 1955 only 8.5:1 pistons and milled the heads to achieve 9.2:1.

Mine came out of a D500 dump truck.

Attachments

• TRYING AIR CLEANERS3.JPG
    TRYING AIR CLEANERS3.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 35
I love the body style on the 54-56 pickups. I had a 54 five window with a 68 Chrysler 383 in it for a shop truck. It was a hoot. Then a couple years ago I scored a 55 five window with a V8 and overdrive. I couldn't get a title and passed it on to a guy who parted it out.

the old 331 I had many years ago, I think I got most of the parts from hot hemi heads, and it unleaded valves in the heads when I got it, I think it was a firepower out of a Desoto 4 dr car

removed the super heavy water pump and put the adapters on it to use a chevy water pump, I cant remember if it was big block or small block

those hemi's are heavy engines, about the same weight of a big block chevy,
I paided $800 for my motor almost 15years ago

Engines in Dodge trucks could be either Dodge or Chrysler, but the 392 was never used.
Yes, some of the blocks are "stupid thick" and designed to take the abuse of running for 22 hours a day on some Kansas wheat field.....also the reason for the water under the carb on the Chrysler engines.
If "cracks" are mentioned then the usual source is from freeze damage and usually found around the center core plug. Freeze cracks in heads are possible.
The 'W' is most often associated with the 'POLY' headed engine and does not indicate truck or car.
The absolute best way to make compression is to use forged pistons. Period.

Latest posts

Back