53 AD Chopped, sectioned and narrowed

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moving along [;)[;)[;)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0718181620.jpg
    0718181620.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 0718181620a.jpg
    0718181620a.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 180
  • 0718181620b.jpg
    0718181620b.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 182
I'm interested in the pieces you're using in the door. Is that just pieces of steel the right thickness for your door spacing and tacked in place?[cl[P

I'm interested in the pieces you're using in the door. Is that just pieces of steel the right thickness for your door spacing and tacked in place?[cl[P

Yes, they are 10ga tabs with a hole in the center and 1/4" grade 8 bolt and nut.
Keeps the original door relief and acts as bracing, using the body.

Any reason for cutting through middle of the door skin instead of separating it from the inner structure and trimming off the bottom? Just curious. Makes for a lot less weld area...

Any reason for cutting through middle of the door skin instead of separating it from the inner structure and trimming off the bottom? Just curious. Makes for a lot less weld area...
My guess: The compound curve shape of the door. On a flat or nearly flat door skin, your idea works well.

The only reason, is where I cut it, the peak of the door and the relief around the opening both matched each other.
I'll put your suggestion in my memory bank for the next time and see how it works. Thanks

My guess: The compound curve shape of the door. On a flat or nearly flat door skin, your idea works well.

It wasn't too difficult at all.

I'll put your suggestion in my memory bank for the next time and see how it works.

It works well on a door like this one too. The curve adjusts when you re-seam the door.
Ask me how I know. ;)

BED that suggestion would have let me repair the rust on the bottom of the door at the same time :cool:

That's an extra bonus. Haha

Got to admit I had the same thought as BED. Then I saw your pics and knew that the deed was done.[ddd
I have done them both ways. The way were you slice only the door inside is nice because you don't have to deal with welding the door skin and the possibility of warpage leading to the dreaded"Oil Can" syndrome.:eek:
But as always there is more then one way to skin a ...........
[P [P [P [P
Torchie

Latest posts

Back