predator carb--thoughts

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skull

''SARCASM: just one of his many talents.''
got a chance to get a predator carb 5OOO series, thinking about sticking it on the 454 "THAT" has in it,:confused:[S

Later:cool:

Attachments

• predator.jpg
    predator.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 28
  • predator.jpg1.jpg
    predator.jpg1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 23
  • predator.jpg2pg.jpg
    predator.jpg2pg.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 24
I've looked at them although never used one. Most of the reviews I've seen are positive. I liked the simplicity. They don't come up on sites around here like CL very often so that may be a good sign people don't get rid of them once they tried them. They are pretty pricey new. Didn't see much from everyday users but mostly racers..keeping my mind open about them. If you try it, let us know.

I've been intrigued by Predator carbs since I first saw them in the '80's.

Like any carburetor design, understanding how it works and how to tune it is the difference between satisfaction and bitter disappointment!

A few years ago, I did some research on the subject. I'm not sure if I have that stuff on file anymore... I'll do some digging and get back to you...

I heard they do well in racing situations but not that well for the streets! They also have a richer fuel mix that can be costly on a daily!

Toad

thanks

[ Toad; ]I heard they do well in racing situations but not that well for the streets! They also have a richer fuel mix that can be costly on a daily! [

if it don't work for the rat, guess l can always throw it on the dart drag car, either way it is to cheap to pass up,

always good feed back on the forum:D

Later:cool:

Bought one new when they first came out.
Not worth a hoot for street use unless you get the one with the idle circuit built in.

There were two street cars around here with Predator carbs. A Luv with a sbc and one carb and a Willys sedan with two of them on a cross ram. I talked to both owners about the carbs. Both had the idle circuit add-on. The Luv was satisfied and the Willys was working out bugs. Last time I saw the cars they both had removed the Preds.
Never seen one at the strip but I'm not out there all that much.

I have a brand new one still in the box that I got a deal on back in the 80s. Its the one without the idle dohicky, as I recall. They look cool for sure.
There's a few used ones on eBay, in the $300 range. Rebuild kits, too.

Bought one new when they first came out.
Not worth a hoot for street use unless you get the one with the idle circuit built in.
old iron got it right, but still takes a lot of tuning to get right. a couple of t-bucket men ran them on top of blowers and loved them. they were from a fish design.

nope--

the 2 barrel manifold don't pull enough vacuum to make the predator carb work--runs great to 15OO rpms, then fall flat on it's face--had my carb expert work on it and that is the diagnosis--[S

Later-:cool:

Latest posts

Back