How does this suspension work?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a feeling whoever built this has absolutely no idea how almost anything automotive works, or he wouldn't have installed the fuel tank backwards.

with the fuel outlets facing forward, the gas will slosh away from the fuel outlets every time you hit the throttle. of course on this rig that might be a "safety feature"???

The farther fuel stays away from that thing the better... [cl

I have a feeling whoever built this has absolutely no idea how almost anything automotive works, or he wouldn't have installed the fuel tank backwards.

with the fuel outlets facing forward, the gas will slosh away from the fuel outlets every time you hit the throttle. of course on this rig that might be a "safety feature"???

I changed the tank on a 70 mercury cougar and the factory outlet is in the front

I was more interested in that fancy fuel line going to the front that has 3 clamps where it transitions to rubber. Cool. Totally missed that the sump was on the front.

To be fair, with that suspension being essentially solid I don't think it matters where the sump is. The fuel is going to be everywhere.

The rear end would move up and down if one upper link was removed. 1/2 ton Chevy pickups were set up this way with truck arms under the rear end and running forward. the coil overs would get softer instead of stiffer as they are compressed.

Oh,So now we are applying common sense to this POS!

Well, you know how these guys are...take a crumbling pile of caca and the next thing ya know he's riding around in a working, running, car or truck...:D[cl
Fixing a little problem like that is a breeze, most would start with a torch or cut off wheel...:rolleyes:

The rear end would move up and down if one upper link was removed. 1/2 ton Chevy pickups were set up this way with truck arms under the rear end and running forward. the coil overs would get softer instead of stiffer as they are compressed.

I believe kenny is right, it's a truck arm style with an extra panhard bar. With two bars it will push the frame rails apart when it cycles. Take one off and it will allow the axle to shift sideways a bit when it cycles just like a 60's Chevy truck. A poor try for a Watts style linkage.

They should have used a cut off wheel. ...on the bed! Needs about 2' cut off to make it a short bed.

I believe kenny is right, it's a truck arm style with an extra panhard bar. With two bars it will push the frame rails apart when it cycles. Take one off and it will allow the axle to shift sideways a bit when it cycles just like a 60's Chevy truck. A poor try for a Watts style linkage.

They should have used a cut off wheel. ...on the bed! Needs about 2' cut off to make it a short bed.

Only 9.5", that's all mine took to make it into a better looking shortbed!

Latest posts

Back