Skip's 39 Ford PU. How it happened

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're going for disk brakes, won't you need 15s anyway? Thought I heard you couldn't get a caliper to fit behind anything smaller.
The 200s on the front in the pic are 14s on S10 GM discs. My 71 Cougar has 14s. I makes sense that some of the bigger brakes will need bigger wheels, but these seem to work. I'm still sticking with the slots for this project.

If you're going for disk brakes, won't you need 15s anyway? Thought I heard you couldn't get a caliper to fit behind anything smaller.

No that's not correct. Some S-10s came with 14" wheels. You can fit 14's made for disc brakes, but you can't fit 14's made for drums (say 64 impala stock steel wheels, tried that and it doesn't work). The 14's made for drums don't clear the calipers.

Yeah it was a comment made by some of my suppliers. My set up is using Ford disks on a Ford axle with Chevy calipers and it won't fit behind a 14" wheel.

I've got a set of old 14" slots, for what ever reason they fit over disc brakes, at least the ones on my 33 Pontiac with the I beam axle and GM calipers.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 203.jpg
    203.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 206.jpg
    206.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 81.jpg
    81.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 114
Finally found some motivation, and finished welding up the radiator mounts. [;)
Then I put the radiator in and put the grille in, and sorted out the adjustments. It has to sit just a little crooked to miss all the stuff in the way. I repeated this process at least five times before it worked right. Had to shorten the support rods, and thread another half inch on them. But now it looks like a conventional installation if you don't look real close. :D The chain pulls the grille back so the hood will hit the pin.

I'll likely have to pull it apart again before the final installation, but now I know it fits.

Pic 2 is my latest distraction. 7x10 Chinese mini lathe. I got it to work on pool cues, but something tells me that it will bite into some steel before long. [ddd

Attachments

• IMG_20180716_124232031[1].jpg
    IMG_20180716_124232031[1].jpg
    68 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20180713_182533425[1].jpg
    IMG_20180713_182533425[1].jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 31
What are ya planning on with your cue?[P
My cue is fine, thank you very much. [ddd The only issues it has is operator error.

I do repairs on cues that I have for sale, or other peoples cues. This will expand my capability. And hopefully make me a couple bucks.

I also have a plan to make an adapter to use my tubing bender wheel handle on my bead roller. Thank you for that little idea, Sir. [cl

I got out to the shop today, to work on another (not car) project. While I was cutting 2x2 tubing, I looked around for some missing fittings for the radiator/transmission cooling lines. I even found them. [cl

Hopefully, I will soon be finishing up the little loose ends on this project.

Short of starting over, it is likely that it will never fit me. So, it needs to get finished and put on the auction block as it were. It has been a fun project overall. and I learned a bunch. the next one should be easier and faster. Or maybe not.

I'll get some pictures up when I finish the little stuff.

fit your taste or your body? man I barely fit in the first 41 I did, the second I used an s10 bench and it was a lot better, and that one was even a five speed! never say never!

the doldrums in the middle when you cant see the end with a telescope are the biggest buzzkill for me. once I get over the hump though, everything accelerates going down the other side. keep going! I want to see some smokey meats, or polite acceleration if thats more your thing. :D

fit your taste or your body? man I barely fit in the first 41 I did, the second I used an s10 bench and it was a lot better, and that one was even a five speed! never say never!

the doldrums in the middle when you cant see the end with a telescope are the biggest buzzkill for me. once I get over the hump though, everything accelerates going down the other side. keep going! I want to see some smokey meats, or polite acceleration if thats more your thing. :D
Definitely my body. I have gained a bunch of girth in the last couple years. And I am not as flexible as I used to be. So, what was enough room when I started is no longer so. I am already using a 3rd row seat out of a Suburban that tucks all the way back in the cab nicely. The only way to make more room now is to stretch the cab and shorten the bed. I could do that, but haven't convinced myself that I want to take that on. The sad part is that I love the look of this little beast.

Definitely my body. I have gained a bunch of girth in the last couple years. And I am not as flexible as I used to be. So, what was enough room when I started is no longer so. I am already using a 3rd row seat out of a Suburban that tucks all the way back in the cab nicely. The only way to make more room now is to stretch the cab and shorten the bed. I could do that, but haven't convinced myself that I want to take that on. The sad part is that I love the look of this little beast.

Well Skip.
That's an issue for a lot of us.
Back in the day even at 6'3" I could fit into my 59 Healey Bug eye sprite. And be comfortable.:eek:
Now about the only thing I fit into comfortably is my recliner.[ddd
Post up some pics.
[P[P [P
Torchie

How about a bomber style seat Skip or a plywood bench as a temporary way to make it work. [S I'm 6'3" also and have difficulty fitting in some vehicles.

Also had a Bug Eye Healey Torchie. Would likely get stuck in it never to get out now if I tried. :rolleyes:

How about a bomber style seat Skip or a plywood bench as a temporary way to make it work. [S I'm 6'3" also and have difficulty fitting in some vehicles.

Also had a Bug Eye Healey Torchie. Would likely get stuck in it never to get out now if I tried. :rolleyes:
Making some bomber seats would be fun. I even have an idea for some. It would gain me about four more inches front to back. Maybe.

I'm 6'3" also, with extra long legs. I never fit into a Sprite or Midget. Even when I was under 200 lbs! My sports car was a Fiat 124 Spyder. Ah the memories. I got my last real, and totally deserved, speeding ticket in it.

Spring is in the air.

Yesterday I worked on this little beast. The modified transmission cooling lines for the old radiator were not even close to working for the new radiator. So, a bit of cutting and bending, and unbending got things pointed in the right direction.

One step closer.

Latest posts

Back