Skip's 39 Ford PU. How it happened

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spring is in the air.

Yesterday I worked on this little beast. The modified transmission cooling lines for the old radiator were not even close to working for the new radiator. So, a bit of cutting and bending, and unbending got things pointed in the right direction.

One step closer.

Same here Skip. At least for today. [ddd Tomorrow colder and rainy.
I haven't been all that enthusiastic about either of my projects lately. I'm hoping that cleaning up the shop will relight the fire......
Keep on keeping on.....
[P [P [P
Torchie

Well, since I didn't get the Olds coupe, does this idea look stupid? :eek: It is a quickie photochop of one of my cab extension ideas. I have seen sedan back panels on PU conversions, and they don't look terribly terrible. I am thinking more likely having the upper part of the back stay straight up and down instead of tilted forward as in the pic. I also thought about leaving the whole back tilted back and just fill in the gap. Thoughts???

The goal is to gain about 6 or so more inches of currently wasted cab space. It would match the back slope of the seat. I would have to shorten the bed again, but it might just be worth it. I am also thinking about a similar treatment for a 38 Ford RPU bobber, complete with rag top. But that is another build.

Attachments

• CamModificationIdea2.jpg
    CamModificationIdea2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 34
  • CamModificationIdea3.jpg
    CamModificationIdea3.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 36
I like it Skip. That is complex fab work to handle the cab corners and curves. The end result would be awesome. Shorten the bed...no problem. [P

How much are you trying to gain, Skip?
Lengthening that cab is do-able but would be easier if you had a donor cab. That triple belt line will be interesting to replicate.
I would go with straightening the back of the cab up. It looks like that could be done all above the belt line.
Is your current seat all the way back to the cab rear wall?
Maybe post up some interior pics.
Plenty of brain power on here to help.
[P [P [P
Torchie

those slots look so great on there.

add a couple inches at the cowl, and kick the footwells out a little deeper. no one will ever notice!

How much are you trying to gain, Skip?
Lengthening that cab is do-able but would be easier if you had a donor cab. That triple belt line will be interesting to replicate.
I would go with straightening the back of the cab up. It looks like that could be done all above the belt line.
Is your current seat all the way back to the cab rear wall?
Maybe post up some interior pics.
Plenty of brain power on here to help.
[P [P [P
Torchie
Trying to gain all the room I can. :D

Yes the seat is as far back as it will go in the current configuration. There is a bit of room behind the seatg at floor level. I think about 6 inches or so. Thus the idea of sloping the back wall. I could sacrifice my other cab and do the door stretch that would be the most work, but it would also be the best looking in the end. The other cab doesn't even have rain gutters any more, its that bad. That is why I plan on tossing the top on it. 302.jpg It's a Suburban 3rd row seat. I'll do some more measuring tomorrow.

I wonder if making the seat a bit higher would help much???

Attachments

• PA071074.jpg
    PA071074.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 14
I think it would be a lot of work but doable for sure. I'm wondering if you could add the 6 inches right at the front edge of the rear of the door opening, taking a straight line up to just above the door then forward to roughly the center of the roof then straight across the the other side. For the roof you could use a donor section from the other cab, and new sheet steel for the new piece behind the door opening with a donor junk of the belt line welded in the proper spot. [S[S

Extending the rear of the cabs always looks odd to me.
Cutting the cab in half cross ways, extending it with a donor and extending the doors is what appeals to me. my 2 cents
On a vehicle that is getting a new frame, extending the firewall to get leg room is the easiest thing to do.
[P[P[P

Before you go cutting up the cab i would suggest looking at a simpler way. I would look for a different style seat first.
Some thing with a thinner back that could be moved rearward more.
The seat back in my chopped and channeled truck was in a more upright position. To some it may have been uncomfortable but to me it felt right.. I have also seen some of the older truck cabs with the back cushion actually attached to the rear wall of the cab.
Do some mock ups.I used some 2x4 and a piece of 3/4" plywood to get the seat height. I also planned on not having seat springs but a solid padded seat, like a boat cushion.

JMHO.
[P [P [P
Torchie

Having seen enough magic done here and elsewhere, I have every faith that stretching the cab can be done. I even have some faith that I can do it. I am just about convinced that I will. But first, I am going to try Torchie's idea and see if I can squeak out a couple more inches going back, up, or thinner (someone suggested bomber seats) before breaking out the surgical tools. This seat folds down, so we'll have to see.

[ddd On another note, do y'all know that an MG midget windshield is within a fraction of an inch of being the same width as a 39 Ford PU windshield? (that is measured form outside to outside of the A-pillars) And when sitting on top of said cab, the mounting points for the top bows line up just behind the doors. Furthermore, the back wall of a T-bucket type roadster slopes back to form something of a comfortable seat back. These roadsters all have shorter doors, with more side wall behind the door. I know the windshield looks a lot more modern than the rest of the truck, but I think if one were to put a dummy center bar on it, it would "old it up" quite a bit. And I have all the pieces to do it.

Am I crazy yet? :D

As I was reading your thread questions, I was forming an opinion on the easiest way to gain cabin room. Things were going along smoothly until I got to Torchie's answer. He stole my good ideas.
Yes, take the back off of your seat and just pad the back of the cab a bit. You will gain 6" of room.
I vote with Torchie.

As I was reading your thread questions, I was forming an opinion on the easiest way to gain cabin room. Things were going along smoothly until I got to Torchie's answer. He stole my good ideas.
Yes, take the back off of your seat and just pad the back of the cab a bit. You will gain 6" of room.
I vote with Torchie.
Knowing the extent of the work invloved, and the simple fact that I am a lazy kinda' guy, I will try this first. I have a lot of head room left in this thing. Maybe up and back will reposition me enough to make it work. Then I'll just need one of those dash mounted critters that can see a traffic light.

Time will tell. Headeng to the shop to break out the measuring devices.

I forgot to say thank you to all that have made suggestions. My wheels are spinning in my little pea brain. [cl

I vote with Torchie.
WRONG! It gains closer to 8 inches. Maybe even 9. :D Bringing the back of the seat cushion up about 3 or 4 inches, and sliding it all back to the wall, will gain this. Sometimes the simple solutions are also the best ones. It looks "rattier", too.

I'm pretty sure that is a look of astonishment on my face. :eek: :D

Big thank yous to Torchie and MercuryMac. And everyone else, too. [cl

I was kinda' getting excited about breaking out the sawsall, though. [ddd

Attachments

• P6110213.jpg
    P6110213.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 34
  • P6110215.jpg
    P6110215.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 31
  • P6110222.jpg
    P6110222.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 34
  • P6110218.jpg
    P6110218.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 34
[cl [cl [cl [cl
Glad to be of help, Skip.
Work smarter. Not harder.LOL Plus I tend to look for the simplest solutions first as I usually don't have enough energy for the harder ones any more..
Mac is the father that I never had.(Or at least an Uncle.[ddd). That's why we think alike.:D
In the recesses of my rapidly fogging mind I re call a build that used either a MG windscreen or and Austin Healy. (Notice how I went all Brit there with the "Windscreen".:p).
Get the Ford on the road and then get on to the next one.:cool:
[P [P [P [P
Torchie

WRONG! It gains closer to 8 inches. Maybe even 9. :D Bringing the back of the seat cushion up about 3 or 4 inches, and sliding it all back to the wall, will gain this. Sometimes the simple solutions are also the best ones. It looks "rattier", too.

I'm pretty sure that is a look of astonishment on my face. :eek: :D

Big thank yous to Torchie and MercuryMac. And everyone else, too. [cl

I was kinda' getting excited about breaking out the sawsall, though. [ddd

woopwoop! there is hope for me to own an oldie yet

I spent the afternoon sorting out the details, and doing a bit of trimming here and there. I have to put another cross brace in the floor for the front of the seat. Then I'll make some tabs to attach the seat risers to the new cross brace and the floor. New angles and its 4 inches higher in the back and one inch in the front. Then I'll rework the floor tin. And make some head bumpers for the back wall eventually. Its all pretty easy stuff, now that I have a plan. :D

The UDS team has struck again. Thanks guys! [cl[cl[clI didn't use all the great suggestions this time, but there are more projects in the future.

You're welcome Skip.
Dang Torchie stole from me again. My words of wisdom are "Work smarter not harder". I wanted to say that.
Skip, I always feel a lot better once I have a plan, even if the pre-plan days are kinda' sweaty. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back