Drip edge

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DozerII

Because I made the roof for the Essex out of a 56 International hood I need to finish the edge just above the door, on the inside and like a header above the door, it currently tends to bite my head every once in a while when I'm getting out. I'm thinking forming a drip edge would be a good way to do it.
I was thinking if I follows the line just above the door all the way back too where the new piece is welded to the Essex roof.

Give me your thoughts and ideas, what I should build it out of? If I should put them on?

I would suggest a bead the same size as the upper bead on the belt-line, running from the top of the windshield post to the back of the weld behind the door. Even better would be all the way around. This can be fabricated by splitting a piece of the correct size tubing if a bead roller is not available.

A drip rail won't be of all that much value considering there is no glass anyway.

That said, a drip rail is not too hard to fabricate. I have seen it done in several threads.

Thanks for the reply Skip, I do have full glass in the car now, so I think drip edge is the way to go, just not sure how to go about it.

My 2 cents on this snowy Northern Michigan Morning Dozer...
If you are just going for a more "finished" look I would pick up some steel tubing of the diameter that looks best to you and weld it on. Possibly large brake line.
If you want a functioning rain gutter I would fab up some steel sheet into a
U shape with a flange on one side of it. Use the flange to attach it to the underside of the top in the door opening(Hope that makes sense).
The problem you may have with a that is clearance for the top of your door.
If you are like me chances are what ever you do you will still hit your head getting in.:mad:
That's why I dig convertibles....[ddd
Torchie

I like Torchie's tubing idea... or maybe some solid rod... stitch it on and run a bead of seam-sealer, top and bottom.

I don't know how a drip edge will stop you from banging your head, however... wrap your skull with pool noodles? [S :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• Noodles.jpg
    Noodles.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 67
Thanks guys some great ideas, will visit the local steel yard to see what he has

Hitting my head is not going to stop but I'd like to make it so it doesn't make me bleed every time:D

I think you should modify your head rather than the car. Seriously, if I'm able to be serious, I have stared at the door tops and roof line and can't come up with anything. There's plenty of creative people here and I'm sure someone's solution will work.

I think you should modify your head rather than the car. Seriously, if I'm able to be serious, I have stared at the door tops and roof line and can't come up with anything. There's plenty of creative people here and I'm sure someone's solution will work.

LOL I modify my head every time I hit it getting out of the car[S

Thanks guys, I guess I should have posted my solution here as I did in the Essex thread.
I used some donor steel from a rusty salvaged fender found in a field to form the drip edge and door header in one.

Latest posts

Back