1930 Ford Woodie

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docrock100

Thanks for the add to the group. There a lot of talented and knowledgeable guys in this group. It is truly amazing watch your projects being built.
My plan is to build a Model A Woodie. I have scored an old frame, a cowl, fenders, grill and hood for 400.
I have no idea what has been done to this frame but I know you guys will know f the pics. Thanks for any help to this thing going

image.jpg

image.jpg
Not sure what kind of steering box will bolt to this.
I don't know if I should cut all this off and start over or just buy or make parts to fit these old setups. I am not sure if its not easier to just make a new frame with 2x4 tube steel. Any thoughts?

Looks like someone used a hot wrench on a lot of that frame. Lots of shoddy work, think I'd make a new frame. What does the rest of the frame look like?

More of the same. Lots of torch work and in the back the brackets look home made with a torch. I guess I have a template for the new frame

Frame does look like it's been hot a few times... Anything is fixable... well almost anything if you look at my build on the 1950 Chevy my frame was much worse off..

I agree that safety is the biggest thing!

Your 50 is a great project.129.jpg

130.jpg

131.jpg

132.jpg

133.jpg
a few more pics of the frame. A friend came by and said the front was set up for 4 bar and butterfly brackets with a vega steering box. He told me that all the rear work was junk. He said if i cut out all the bad work and box the frame it should work fine. But I said what if I got two sticks of 2x3 square tube, welded the horns and cross members from this frame in, it seems faster and stronger. He agreed, so the next step is get some green together for the steel.

Smart lad. Welcome aboard!

Going with a new frame will save you time and possibly injury. Good decision. [cl Look over those crossmembers very carefully. They may be better for patterns, also.

It doesn't have to be shiny, but it does have to be safe. ;)

I was told 3/16th x 2x4 tubing would be better .. they make the T Bucket frames out of the 2x3 but its about 1/2 the weight of a truck cab .
Its been a while since i've been told this so if i'm wrong on this . somebody will correct me :D

I agree with you on the 2x4 instead. I am thinking, since this is a woodie, I might run the frame long and do a leaf spring rear. I am going to go thru the other build threads and get a good plan together, since this a custom built frame at this point. This is a great forum to build this in.

Latest posts

Back