96 GMC rat build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtpontiac

Older, Wiser and Still Buildin'
put together the tubes to french the tail lights.... 3 1/2 " exhaust tubing.... didn't think those caddie lights were that large at the base, but they are.., hope to get them tacked in this weekend and get a rough idea how they look... gonna try to get the roof lined up and tacked in place as well... I've got another donor roof to get the fill areas I need for the windshield edge and the rear glass edge... not many bone yards want to cut a top off a decent cab... finally went to a metal scrap yard that had just got in a 1993 Chevy pk-up and they let me hack the top before they crushed it..... thank God the rest was really bad... or I would have felt bad and bought the whole thing..lol

I'll try to get more photo's when the top is tacked in place along with the taillight buckets....

please excuse the sloppy tack welds on the panel.... new mig that is far better than my old one.... trying to work out the technique / speed / heat on this one..... by the way, wire speed corrected the bird drop looking tack problem on the other panel....lol.. hey I'm an old guy give me a break....

Attachments

• DSC05498.jpg
    DSC05498.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 382
  • Greenfield village and Other photos 001.jpg
    Greenfield village and Other photos 001.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 365
  • Greenfield village and Other photos 004.jpg
    Greenfield village and Other photos 004.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 355
You're doin' great work, I like to see someone with the later model trucks. Might be easyer to follow if you post in the same tread rather than starting a new one every time tho.

You're doin' great work, I like to see someone with the later model trucks. Might be easyer to follow if you post in the same tread rather than starting a new one every time tho.

I totally agree, there are couple folks on this site that do that.
I wondered if it bothered anyone else.
-Chaz

Sorry Guys

This is a bit new to me.... sorry for the new threads... i'll try to do the right way.....now....let me see.....how do I do that??????? lol

96 GMC Rat Build

did some work on the tail lights.... the wife had other plans so the top work had to wait..... posted some pic's with the tail light buckets tacked in ... I was a little disappointed that I couldn't set them back further.... as it was I had to cut an access hole inside the bed to be able to tighten or loosen the stud nuts to get them in and out..... looks ok... I am going to cut them back to the weld so the side is a bit more open... any input???

Attachments

• pickup lights.jpg
    pickup lights.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 374
Hate to say it....but

Things are going a bit slower than I had planned....:( still waiting for the donor roof to get the filler sections I need...too much snow in guys personal bone yard to get back to it to cut it off.... roof corners are in place and will have to be realigned when I get the filler pieces.... like a dummy I took off the clamps... moved a wee bit..... but realign without much pressure...
Got the taillights into primer and the reese hitch recessed so it will fit behind the roll pan.... pulled the front springs and will be removing the rear springs and hangers to relocate / cut to lower this a bit..... thought about an axle flip but really don't want to cut the c-notches... at least not now... hoping to get that donor roof this weekend since it's been warmer and the snow is melting quickly.....[cl

Attachments

• DSC05569.jpg
    DSC05569.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 318
  • DSC05564.jpg
    DSC05564.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 279
It always takes longer than we think it should, but you’re doing great. Interested in seeing how it all comes together.

You'd think after 60 years I'd have more patience.

It always takes longer than we think it should, but you’re doing great. Interested in seeing how it all comes together.

I hate waiting on other people to decide to move..... I started checking into another roof.. may be more expensive but I think I can get one faster.... Got the roll pan in place, gotta move the hitch back another 2 inches.... thank God I hadn't welded it yet...... easy adjustment.... [;)

Looking for some advise

I'm looking for a cool high mount tail light to replace the one that was on the roof... since I'm filling that hole, was looking for an unusual light to replace it... I would be open to even putting them into the back of cab above the bed.... any suggestions? Legit ones.... don't think I'll mount a school bus stop lamp or that sort of thing....lol

OK, got the new phone camera to cooperate....

A couple of new(er) shots of the on-going fiasco.... finished the body work on the lights, pulled the bed, c notched the frame for the axle flip and still waiting for that darn donor roof.... supposed to be getting it this weekend but not holding my breath.... anyway.... also a shot or two of tailgate handle relocation install to the inside of the tailgate....there it is...not much but at least I've gotten something accomplished....:eek:

Attachments

• Mar13_0001.jpg
    Mar13_0001.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 170
  • Mar13_0011.jpg
    Mar13_0011.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 190
  • Mar13_0008.jpg
    Mar13_0008.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC05569.jpg
    DSC05569.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 173
Looks like a couple photos didn't make it.....

tailgate handle relocation

Attachments

• Greenfield village and Other photos 007.jpg
    Greenfield village and Other photos 007.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 126
  • Greenfield village and Other photos 005.jpg
    Greenfield village and Other photos 005.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 117
some of the older harley`s had "tombstone style" tail lights that was cool(check out JPcycles on line). it`s coming right along sgt. alot of my time is spend thinking and looking before I do the work itself....then sometimes changing my mind and doing it again(rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat....):D

So you did the frame notches after all. I like the frenched tail lites in the picture with just a little of the bezels showing. For the brake lite is there room above the rear window for a led strip? Or some frenched marker lights?

Actually the kid talked me into it....

Wasn't going to but after our discussion decided to c-notch it to get it into the weeds...... now I HAVE to do the front...... looking into 2" drop spindles and springs... thought about cutting the springs but might go the "spend money" direction to get it done once (correctly)..... thanks for the cudo's on the frenching.... I thought about cutting out the spring bucket on the lower a arm and welding in a deeper bucket to the stock arm.. anyone tried that??? If I could do that, then I might try cutting the spring a little and sinking the spring deeper in a arm.... I know they make lowering arms but lots of green for them.....

Earthman

what do you think about the 40 ford tail light turned upside down to look like sgt strips?.... I have a pair and I'm condemplating putting them in above the bed in the back of the cab.... what do you think? [S

Latest posts

Back