1965 Rambler Classic 770 - slow build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnson

This is my current project, a 1965 AMC Rambler Classic 770. It is getting a `69 199 six cylinder and a three speed tranny just to get it rolling. It also needs a new rear end to drive, I`m picking up a Ford 8.8 to use with the factory coils and some homemade ladder bars.

It has 58,000 miles on it, the engine/tranny have 42,000.

Future plans for it include disc brakes, paint, a five speed tranny, and a Ford 302(I found one cheap with some go-fast parts on it already). Hope you guys like it as I know it is not a traditional rat, and it won`t end up as a traditional hot rod either.

Here`s a few pictures:
100417_162240.jpg

This is when it came on the trailer, $550 delivered.

100417_164524.jpg

This is the original engine, not in use.

100417_164918.jpg

100417_164925.jpg

100417_165602.jpg

100417_164947.jpg

There`s a couple more random pictures.

I have done some more to it since then. I did a little custom work to the grill, put the engine/tranny most of the way in, and took the rear axle most of the way out.

-Johnson

Last edited:
Nah, I originally wanted a big caddy engine(ie 472, 500, etc). Then I found a really good deal on a 302(hoping to pick up next week). The engine is .020 over, has an msd distributor, headers, cam, a dual-quad tunnel ram, and go-fast valve covers & oil pan. Just needs seals and maybe bearings. That, plus the relative ease of fitting it with a five speed made me want it.

So, not quite as sleeper-y as I had wanted, but it`ll do ;)

-Johnson

nice little car. The sbf will surprise you. The little Rambler is light. You will have problem hooking up.(unless you work on that part of suspension) >>Johnson ,I PM'ed you.

DMW .that's a clean 660'

Here's my 65' 330. flathead 6..I have too many projects. it's a shame it's sitting. It's screamin>shove that 390 in me !!

Attachments

• jpg  65 Ra mbler.jpg
    jpg 65 Ra mbler.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I`d suicide all four door and bag it to the ground! But maybe thats the mini trucker in me. High five on running ford parts too bad you couldnt get a 6spd like the new mustangs for the wtf effect

At Cantwell:
I`ve been thinking about just shaping that around an exhaust exit. Not bashing the ratty look of leaving it, just have an idea in my head(plus that will rot away very quickly here).

At DMW:
Nice. I hope you like it as much as I`ve liked mine so far.

At chuckles:
I know what a 302 can do. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I would probably kill myself with big caddy engine under the hood.

I will already have ladder bars(I need them to locate my new axle). I am also going to use wider tires on the rear(right now about 9.5" wide). What else would you suggest on the cheap? I thought about air shocks or maybe even airbags(if I run across some used or something). Never had to address this so any help is greatly appreciated.(Also, PM returned)

At Jimmy:
I could see suicide doors on the rear. However "on the ground" isn`t really my style.... I picked ford because I know a little about it and it`s not what everyone else uses. Six speed would be awesome, expensive, but awesome.

Thanks guys,
-Johnson

I got a bunch of stuff done. I had it all written out, but the forum decided I took too long and wouldn`t let me post it or copy it. I need some advice on a couple things though.

I don`t have the linkages for the throttle or the clutch, and I am also missing the pedals for the manual tranny. I think I`m going to try and grab two gas pedals out a common car(like a GM G-body), and use two aftermarket throttle cables(one to the throttle, the other to the clutch).

I discovered that I need to make a new tranny crossmember. It has to be flat to clear everything. If I make it out of 3/8" steel(the dimensions are 2.5" x 25.5"), should I worry about it flexing too much? It doesn`t seem to bear much weight, just keep the tail end of the tranny from dragging on the ground. Would 1/2" be better?

Any thoughts about either of those? Suggestions? Anyone want to tell me to put the welder down and back away slowly? :rolleyes:

Thanks guys,
Johnson

I got a bunch of stuff done. I had it all written out, but the forum decided I took too long and wouldn`t let me post it or copy it. I need some advice on a couple things though.

I don`t have the linkages for the throttle or the clutch, and I am also missing the pedals for the manual tranny. I think I`m going to try and grab two gas pedals out a common car(like a GM G-body), and use two aftermarket throttle cables(one to the throttle, the other to the clutch).

I discovered that I need to make a new tranny crossmember. It has to be flat to clear everything. If I make it out of 3/8" steel(the dimensions are 2.5" x 25.5"), should I worry about it flexing too much? It doesn`t seem to bear much weight, just keep the tail end of the tranny from dragging on the ground. Would 1/2" be better?

Any thoughts about either of those? Suggestions? Anyone want to tell me to put the welder down and back away slowly? :rolleyes:

Thanks guys,
Johnson

The ½” will certainly have less flex under torque, but you also don’t want to put more weight into the car then needed. The 3/8” should be plenty and I would still look at adding lightening holes in it where ever possible. To keep it from flexing under torque, look at adding ribs along the length where you have room. It wouldn’t take much of a rib to really strengthen it up. In all of this, do make sure you are allowing room for your exhaust to run through.

The exhaust runs underneath the cross member on one side, unless I do a lake pipe(my friend has been bugging me to make some of those since I got the car). The exhaust is in place now, so I can make sure it will clear. I`ll see what is in my local steel suppliers scrap pile(what I have to work with), then I`ll figure out the specifics.

How do you guys usually do the lightening holes? Is there like a big metal hole saw you can get or something? Never had to put that big of a hole in metal.....

Thanks for the help,
Johnson

Ok, no new progress, just pics of old progress. Finally got my friend to send them to me.

First pic, front end re-assembled. You can see the color scheme I want to go with, which I think is a little more sinister than than the original "bling" front end the car had :D:
IMG00072-20110220-1551.jpg

Second pic, the little 199 in place, still need to do some plumbing before I can run it for extended periods. It`s not pretty, but we are on a rat forum! I also need to clean the gas tank out, just to be sure:
IMG00073-20110220-1551.jpg

Third pic, nothing. No, really, that is where the amc 20 rear axle was, still working out what is going to happen here:
IMG00076-20110220-1553.jpg

Last pic for today, the door panel. I did a similar treatment to the grill on it. Guess I found my interior scheme(ignore the door metal being green...):
IMG00074-20110220-1553.jpg

Might get more work done this weekend. I will be posting a couple wanted adds up, but if anyone(near me) has a pre-93 ford ranger rear axle, a radiator with the bottom outlet on drivers side(25" wide, 17" tall max), or two pedals that could be made to work in my car(gas & clutch or two gas), for cheap. Then let me know.

-Johnson

Last edited:
Hole saws work great just be sure to keep them oiled up as you are cutting (WD40 or something similar). I really don’t know if you want or need to put the holes in, it was just a thought. A lot of the holes you see on the builds on this site are for looks as much as anything. But you can save a lot of weight without risking strength. Just a matter of what you want, the holes can be time consuming.

Really like the grill, looks great.

I`m glad the grill came out as well as it did. I was just going off of an idea at that point.

Thanks for the tip on the holes. I don`t think I`m going to use on this build though, as just about everything I`m making isn`t going to be seen, and this isn`t going to be a fast car for quite some time.

Also, I got a line on an explorer 8.8 rear with discs. I need to do some measuring this weekend to be sure it will fit first though.

I had a 70 model Rebel 4 door that got a 460 Ford with a C-6. I made a crossmember that would allow the three inch exhaust. 3" Channel with halves of four inch pipe. It worked well under some pretty extreme conditions. Just and idea for ya.

Attachments

• crossmember 1.jpg
    crossmember 1.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 16
  • crossmember 2.jpg
    crossmember 2.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 14
That looks kinda like the one that was on my monte I used to have. The exhaust never quite lined up in it for some reason [S

So, I came to a realization the other day. I had just pulled the front bumper and gas tank off the car, and mocked up the rear with the tires I want to use at about the height I wanted.

I looked at the car and it hit me. This is MY car. I don`t have to answer to anyone(other than the law) about it. I can do whatever I want with it. The purists already aren`t going to like me, might as well urinate in their cereal of choice while I`m at it.

So, with that in mind, I revised my short term plans for the car.

I am going to run the stock tank in the trunk for now(would like to get a fuel cell eventually, but I`ve also seen this done before). I`m also going to run a filler to the outside of the car, either the stock one, or a different one(leave or fill in the stock location). That raises a couple of questions for me.

1) What materials are ok to use as a filler hose(the rubber and solid parts). Universal radiator hose, pvc, exhaust pipe, etc. Anything I shouldn`t use?

2) I`m planning on using two ratchet straps in an X to hold it down. I will find where they need to be and weld those hoop things(think they are called eyelets or something) to the trunk floor. Any issues here?

3) How do you guys clean gas tanks? I might as well do it while I have the thing out and empty.

Now this will get more interesting later. Also found out that the explorer rearend will work for me, I just need to get the cash to pick it up. I`m going to try and get some work done friday, but won`t have pics(camera guy won`t be there).

-Johnson [;)

If you guys didn`t notice, I started painting the car black in the previous pics. It is a cheap Walmart semi-gloss black. I know that a rattle can finish isn`t ideal, and I didn`t spend as much time as I should have on prep work, so I`m not expecting it to look amazing, or last forever. I just want my car to stop magically disappearing :rolleyes: Anyway, I got it all primed, and most of it done. I just need about 3-4 cans to finish the other side. Note: that rear tire isn`t attached to anything. It is just there to show the tire size & wheel covers I plan on running back there.

IMG00120-20110408-2012.jpg

IMG00119-20110408-2012.jpg

IMG00118-20110408-2011.jpg

IMG00121-20110408-2014.jpg

Enjoy,
-Johnson

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back