Need Info on Wheels

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reptar_head

I've got a 1929 International pickup that I just acquired. My first step in planning this build is obviously wheels and tires, so here's my first question. It there any way I can re-use these front wheels?
100_5714.jpg

100_5716.jpg

100_5717.jpg

For comparison, here is the one rear wheel I have. Unfortunately we could not find the other rear wheel or the rear axle for that matter
100_5718.jpg

The front wheels are missing the outer "rims" that bolt to the actual wheel. What are these "rim" pieces technically called, and does anybody make them? If not, are these wheels basically useless? If that is the case, what are my options as far as spindles so I can run "regular" wheels on the front? There doesn't seem to be much out there for Internationals, but I'm totally new to rods so I don't even know where to look really other than Speedway.

If you have one set of bearings, you can probably find new ones. Guys restore these trucks, and you will have to search for the wheels, and rims. But it can be done.
You could also have the spindles machined to fit a different bearing set, but before you go to the trouble make sure all the rest of the steering parts are good. You could also replace the axle with a new one, or a newer one. The mechanical brakes are pretty hard to work with. You have tons of options, and even more, if you are not restoring the truck to "original".

No it's not getting restored, it'll be a rat through and through. But I was trying to re-use everything I can from it. Everything still works on it, bearings are all there and the wheels rolled fine. It steered fine and brakes work as well. I'd love to just pretty much use it as is, if I could just find those damn rings.

I think you might be wise to upgrade the brakes, but as far as the rims go, there were few tire sizes back then, so many of the manufacturers used the same tire size, and a similar rim set up. I would think other rims may be made to fit. By the way, are the pedals labled "clutch" and "brake"?

Latest posts

Back