What engine's are in these cars?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CFM stand for cubic feet per minute and is a measure of air flow through the carb. It is also used to measure the flow of the cylinder heads. You have to match the cfm of the carb to what the engine can use .. for example, a 900 cfm carb on a 305 Chevy would be way to much .. you would be better off with a smaller 600 cfm carb. Hope this helps.

alright so how do I figure out what the CFM is on the carbs I'm looking to buy..I'll be running the 350 engine

maybe this will help maybe not but heres the options I've been looking at maybe someone can steer me in the right direction

edelbrock 6x2 manifold (will that only fit strombergs?)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0344237406&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=

6 ford carbs (any idea cfm or if they will work/fit in these manifolds?)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0355007389&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=

offy 6x2 manifold
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0290781068&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=

or this complete one which will cost me more
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0342406209&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=

Those Ford ECG carbs are rated at 185 cfm each. With 6 that would be 1110 cfm. I don't think using all 6 would work very well on a mild 350 but 3 should work quite well at 555 cfm.

Ok look, If you don't even know what CFM is then you should not even be considering a multi-carb setup of any kind for your first build, yet alone a 6x2. I'm not trying to come down on you, but you gotta walk before you can run. In your case crawling would be a good start...

Ok look, If you don't even know what CFM is then you should not even be considering a multi-carb setup of any kind for your first build, yet alone a 6x2. I'm not trying to come down on you, but you gotta walk before you can run. In your case crawling would be a good start...

like I said before I'm 20yrs old and this is my first time dealin with old carbs like these, this is my first build..I've done muscle cars and classics but never hot rods or rat rods and I plan to keep this car forever, I never grew up around cars or took shop classes I learn as I go from friends and the internet it's worked well so far I'm trying to learn as much as I can threw sites like this..for a lot of the stuff I'll be taking to my buddys shop and he'll be doing the work while I learn along the way.. I understand where your coming from but how can I learn if I dont ask questions..I didnt grow up in the 50's or 60's when these things were around all the time. So if it bugs you I guess dont visit my thread but I'll continue to ask questions and gain info..I love the looks of the 6x2 and really want to go that route I wont be the one tuning it or anything but I'd like to have a general idea so as I learn and watch I can help others when I'm older and when I do other cars

Last edited:
Those Ford ECG carbs are rated at 185 cfm each. With 6 that would be 1110 cfm. I don't think using all 6 would work very well on a mild 350 but 3 should work quite well at 555 cfm.

ok so sorry to keep askings questions but thats how I learn even if they may seem like dumb questions to you experienced guys..but what if I ran the 1110cfm..what problems would I run into or what effects would it have on the motor..what motor would be best for that setup? I know Voo Doo Larry on his car runs the 6x2 with a 307 Chevy

Lots of guys will run ony 2 of the carbs on a 6-two set up. They will block off the other four (the carbs are there, just not hooked up and there are block off plates between the carbs and the manifold) so they are there just for looks. I would suggest starting that way to make tuning easier. That way you get the look of 6 carbs without the headache of trying to syncronize all of them. After it is running well you can go with 4 carbs activated.

like I said before I'm 20yrs old and this is my first time dealin with old carbs like these, this is my first build..I've done muscle cars and classics but never hot rods or rat rods and I plan to keep this car forever, I never grew up around cars or took shop classes I learn as I go from friends and the internet it's worked well so far I'm trying to learn as much as I can threw sites like this..for a lot of the stuff I'll be taking to my buddys shop and he'll be doing the work while I learn along the way.. I understand where your coming from but how can I learn if I dont ask questions..I didnt grow up in the 50's or 60's when these things were around all the time. So if it bugs you I guess dont visit my thread but I'll continue to ask questions and gain info..I love the looks of the 6x2 and really want to go that route I wont be the one tuning it or anything but I'd like to have a general idea so as I learn and watch I can help others when I'm older and when I do other cars

You are getting it all wrong. It dosen't bug me when you ask questions, so don't get offended when I offer you sage advice. You can do whatever you want, but I HAVE dealt with these things for a long time. I know what a PITA multi-carb setups can be, especially for an inexperienced builder. Why not start with something simpler for your first build so you can say that YOU did it. Why let someone else build/tune it and be a poser?

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but it's true. You do photography right? Well I will be the first one to admit that I don't know sh*t about photography, but let's say I decide I want to be a photographer one day. Would you advise me to run out and buy the most expensive, tempermental, complicated camera on the market and have at it? OR would you suggest that I start with something a little easier until I am used to how it works, then upgrade to a better model?

I also wouldn't want to be at a photography show when someone walks up and starts asking questions about my fancy doo-dad camera and my only reply is "I just bought it because it looks cool. I have someone else take the pictures for me." See what I am saying?

You are getting it all wrong. It dosen't bug me when you ask questions, so don't get offended when I offer you sage advice. You can do whatever you want, but I HAVE dealt with these things for a long time. I know what a PITA multi-carb setups can be, especially for an inexperienced builder. Why not start with something simpler for your first build so you can say that YOU did it. Why let someone else build/tune it and be a poser?

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but it's true. You do photography right? Well I will be the first one to admit that I don't know sh*t about photography, but let's say I decide I want to be a photographer one day. Would you advise me to run out and buy the most expensive, tempermental, complicated camera on the market and have at it? OR would you suggest that I start with something a little easier until I am used to how it works, then upgrade to a better model?

I also wouldn't want to be at a photography show when someone walks up and starts asking questions about my fancy doo-dad camera and my only reply is "I just bought it because it looks cool. I have someone else take the pictures for me." See what I am saying?

yeah you make good points I see where your coming from..I guess I'm just one of those people that when they set there mind to something it's hard to talk me out of it..its defiantly a downfall but I guess I have some thinking to do..I'm looking for a parts car where I can get a 350 with hopefully a 700r4 trans if its complete with intake and carb I'll run that and probably just buy the 6x2 and ford carbs and tinker with it on the side and see how I like it and get the feel for how everything works and then upgrade to that when I have the experience/knowledge

Lots of guys will run ony 2 of the carbs on a 6-two set up. They will block off the other four (the carbs are there, just not hooked up and there are block off plates between the carbs and the manifold) so they are there just for looks. I would suggest starting that way to make tuning easier. That way you get the look of 6 carbs without the headache of trying to syncronize all of them. After it is running well you can go with 4 carbs activated.

thats an extremley good idea, I think thats what I'll do..so that'd be 370 CFM..would that be good or would I want to have 3 carbs running for the 555 CFM?

yeah I'm a young guy and new to this..but I have a guy building my frame and all that..he's done a few rods and race cars..saftey first..I'm trying to learn along the way threw here and friends..and eventually get enough knowledge later down the road and I'll be able to do it without help

now I had another question there is a guy who wants to trade me his 427 motor and 400 trans for my truck that I'm selling..I'm just wondering if a motor like that would be too big for a '30 coupe rod

I would not go with a 427 yet. The thought of someone who just isn't in the know yet is about as pleasant as imagining eating a soda can for me. I would stay with a mild smallblock. I may go back to a basic I6 even. Really don't need much power in these things when they are stripped down to go fast, quick.

Plus all that weight from that big motor in the nose of the car will cause the car to be unresponsive in emergency maneuvers unless you lay the motor back a good long ways.

But the 427 has always had its alure. Put a 427 in a 69 nova not too long ago. Man that was fun.. but that car isnt around anymore. Only got to see the car complete once before someone had their way with her beautiful satin orange butt.

I would not go with a 427 yet. The thought of someone who just isn't in the know yet is about as pleasant as imagining eating a soda can for me. I would stay with a mild smallblock. I may go back to a basic I6 even. Really don't need much power in these things when they are stripped down to go fast, quick.

Plus all that weight from that big motor in the nose of the car will cause the car to be unresponsive in emergency maneuvers unless you lay the motor back a good long ways.

But the 427 has always had its alure. Put a 427 in a 69 nova not too long ago. Man that was fun.. but that car isnt around anymore. Only got to see the car complete once before someone had their way with her beautiful satin orange butt.

yeah that post was awhile back, I'm onto a 350 now I never wanted a 427 but just was curious how well that'd work in a light car like a rat rod

thats an extremley good idea, I think thats what I'll do..so that'd be 370 CFM..would that be good or would I want to have 3 carbs running for the 555 CFM?

Your thread got me doing a little searching on the web where I have found information that I didn't know about multiple carb setups as well as the fact that 2 bbl carbs are measured differently that 4 bbl carbs for cfm ratings. This fact changes everything. Also I discovered that multiple carb setup will flow differently than single carbs because they cause a reduction in maniford vacuum. Here are a couple of the many links I found interesting on the subject:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280538
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-77680.html
http://www.gasalleystreetrods.com/msindex.html

and there is lots more out there. "Google" can be your friend.

I gotta agree with BED on this.
I'm not trying to come down on you, but you gotta walk before you can run. In your case crawling would be a good start...
Why not plan on multiple carbs after you get the thing on the road. Get a 4bbl and play with it a bit first. I mean what's more cool, cruisin your rat down the street or forever in your garage trying to get your 6x's to run right?

Either way you go, just don't give up on it. :)

I gotta agree with BED on this.

Why not plan on multiple carbs after you get the thing on the road. Get a 4bbl and play with it a bit first. I mean what's more cool, cruisin your rat down the street or forever in your garage trying to get your 6x's to run right?

Either way you go, just don't give up on it. :)

yeah thats basically what I said to the other guy..I plan on buying a parts car with the 350 in it to save cash so I'll find one complete...I bought the 6 Ford ECG Carbs off ebay and I'm going to pick up the Offy 6x2 this weekend the guys store is like 15 mins from me..so I'll play around with it and keep asking questions but run just a normal set up until I get everything how it needs to be...this can be hard stuff to understand/learn but I'll defiantly never give up..it's amazing how much I didnt know about cars at all 3 years ago and how much I've already learned and done/built since then..I may be a slow learning but once I catch on I get things done

Your thread got me doing a little searching on the web where I have found information that I didn't know about multiple carb setups as well as the fact that 2 bbl carbs are measured differently that 4 bbl carbs for cfm ratings. This fact changes everything. Also I discovered that multiple carb setup will flow differently than single carbs because they cause a reduction in maniford vacuum. Here are a couple of the many links I found interesting on the subject:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280538
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-77680.html
http://www.gasalleystreetrods.com/msindex.html

and there is lots more out there. "Google" can be your friend.

I'm at work and dont have time right now to check out the links so I'll just ask a few quick questions until I can read those links...so now I dont need to worry about CFM? should I still run 3 carbs and block off the other 3?

should I still run 3 carbs and block off the other 3?

No, you can't just arbitrarily block carbs off at will and expect decent fuel distribution. If you are only going to utilize some of the carbs, use the middle two or the outside four...but before you do that, make sure that the manifold plenum is open enough to allow you to do so. If not, you'll have some cylinders getting no fuel mixture.

Latest posts

Back