educate me on blowers.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hankthebigdog

I am looking into a small blower 142 b&m . Mostly for the cool factor on the ride. I have read pretty much able to bolt to a stock set up small block as long as I keep the psi down. Remember no so much the power [which I know will be nice] but the sound and the "cool " look. Don't beat me down, just help me decide if the $$ is worth the pain or should I just invest in the full on, super $$$$$$$$ build and put a 671 on it, be broke for months trying to save the $ , and have to get a mechanics education just to run it and not swarm it

Shouldn't be a problem on stockish set up. Will need more fuel even at low psi. The lil power chargers are nice. They offer lots of low end torque so be careful with the gas peddle. image.jpg

Shouldn't be a problem on stockish set up. Will need more fuel even at low psi. The lil power chargers are nice. They offer lots of low end torque so be careful with the gas peddle. View attachment 114941

Hllow65, That is a 6-71.

I'm pretty sure the 142 is the little one that a single 4 barely fits on. Back when those were getting a lot of press in the mags (late 80's?). I knew somebody what bought one. He wasn't all that impressed with it. ...not nearly enough bang for the bucks he had to shell out.

I have heard they were not all that cool, but I really don't want to spend all my funds . Finances are tight. so help me calculate the pros and cons for a driver set up.

The little blowers do not provide much "Wow" factor nor do they make the desireable whine of a 6-71. I'd use one if I got it for a low price.

They do put out some boost and have to up the hp and torque a little, or B and M wouldn'd be selling them. That model was pretty much designed so that a guy with a stockish motor could bolt one on without doing things to make the engine stronger, they were mild enough to not hurt things internally.

If you can get a good deal on one I would say go for it, and most people will still be impressed.

Don

Here is an excellent article I found from a guy who did one of these, it answers a lot of questions.

http://www.thirdgen.org/weiand142install

That's a 741 hp 383/8-71 combo.. My cousins 383/177 wiend makes 568 hp. They can be impressive. I posted that pic to show I was speaking without actually have tuned a blower motor. Here's my cousins truck that runs 12.3 on street tires.image.jpg
9.5:1 compression 2.05/1.96 dart aluminum head 383ci
12# boost 177 wiend.

Single 800cfm holley
Boost reference the carb if you decide to get blown.

God, that post makes me seem like an ass. Sorry man, I wasn't trying to sound so smug. They're fun lol blowers when done right. You'll always get the cool factor either way. It won't sound like an airplane like mine, but atleast you can hear the radio and still light up the tires. Good luck which ever route ya choose.

I helped a friend install that small blower on a 355 powered Camaro,
it felt like driving a well tuned BB, and you could not wipe the stupid grin off
my face every time I got to drive it. it will smoke the rear tires off the car and combined with a 700r OD trans it gets ~25mpg IF you can drive it normal.

it goes whooooooooooop!!!!

I am thinking the price will make it worth the fun factor. If nothing else, try it and if not my "style" sell and go big or go home. I appreciate all the input. I an not a man of internal engine talents, so everything is taken into consideration for to at least look into. again thanks fellows.
This is why I like this place so much............car guys helping car guys learn everyday. WOOP WOOP

I had a desk top dyno, when I built my blower motor. If memory serves me right 10lbs of boost makes 2 hp per cubic inch, on gasoline.

So a 350 engine, with 10 psi makes about 700 hp. Has anyone actually dynoed a motor to see?

I dyno tuned mine. With the big 6/71 - 14/71 series those numbers are fairly accurate. There's over driven and under driven blowers also. Most street apps are under drove to make them more manageable. It's based of the number of teeth on the crank pulley vs the blower pulley. With the lil guys you can figure about 50% more hp at the stock setting of 6#. SuperchargerUSA has good info for blower dudes. Total compression is of upmost importance. Too much and you start melting crap and detonating. I've had a set of ceramic headers glowing to the point they were transparent. With a blower or even a centrifugal supercharger you need to be cramming fuel into the system. Lean = holes in Pistons. Also with more boost you need to think about forged internals. I went the eagle set up, full bottom end. All lunati roller stuff up top. Don't let this discourage you from bolting on a blower to a stockish motor. My cousin didn't build his 9.5:1 383 with a blower in mind. He found a screamin deal on a lil baby blower and made a monster. Be prepared to run 91 octane. I have 8:1 compression but at full boost it jumps to 15:1 so if I want to play I have to run race gas or retard my timing soooo much it only makes about 3lbs at which point it's a waste of a blower. It takes 60hp just to turn the blower over. Lots of crap to think about.

But there's nothing like a 60mph rolling burnout. Nothing like it.

on the 355 I described above, we ordered the kit for the 355, but the upper pulley was the smallest they made for engines around 400 cubes, with the upper pulley in the 355 kit it would only make 8-10pounds of boost, with the smaller upper pulley it made 16 lbs. boost coming in at ~3000 rpm.

But there's nothing like a 60mph rolling burnout. Nothing like it. [ddd

Especially when you aren't expecting it. Every once in a while, you forget which car you are driving and you punch it to go through a yellow light ....and "all hell breaks lose". That will wake you up :)

I have a stock GM 6V/71 blower laying on the shelf, that I bought years ago. I planned to build a manifold, build a V belt drive system etc, but when you calculate the machine hours and labor charges it is probably cheaper to buy a bolt-on system from BDS. I know that's not really hot rodder mentality, but sometimes you just want to take the easy route. ;)

I used a stock original Model A front axle on my rod, but it came with no hubs or brakes, so I experimented, modified, machined and adapted, chopped and changed, made mistakes and got some disc brake hubs and calipers off some modern metric car to fit. Man hours and machine shop time came to far more than I could have bought a complete front end from Speedway for. it was fun doing it, a learning curve, but next time I'll pick up the telephone and call Speedway.....

BTW, I live at the far end of the universe, the Philippines, so no chance to simply buy this **** of Ebay.

Latest posts

Back