Facing reality / suggestions ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonegonzo

After attending the NHRA NATIONALS last weekend , I've concluded that my handicap of Neuropthia is slowing me down and making motorsports a thing of my past . Walking is becoming too painful and coordination control is becoming worse as well . I'm now going to have to resort to a motorized chair of some sort in the very near future .

Having always been a hot rodder / tinkerer , I want to build my own handicap ride . I will need a DC electric drive line to start and then it's off to a personalized body /seat mount .

Are there any of you here that are in this situation as well ?

Please share your suggestions .

Thx
Gonzo

I am not in your situation, but have thoughts about the sort of ride you're talking about every now and then. I have some friends in motorized chairs, and have thought about cool alternatives. If they lived close, I'm sure we would have built something by now, but without the body you're building it for, it's hard to get started, at least for me. I'll be watching this thread closely, and will contribute any help I can. Sorry to hear you're in this spot, but it sounds like your head is in the right spot. :)

I have been having this discussion with myself a lot lately. Things that used to be easy/simple have now become the opposite. My current build is taking longer than any before it and the frustration level is high.....
Inregards to your build you might consider starting with a exsisting platform and going from there. The reason that I suggest this is that you would have a functioning chassis with all the componets already there and working. Use what you need and get rid of the rest.
Craigs list is a good place to find used Mobility equipment.
Good luck with your build and post up a thread when you start.
Keep on keeping on.......
Torchie.

someone on here has built a couple of miniature hot rods from electric golf carts. I think maybe zz rodder? that may be a little extreme for a chair but would be funny as hell. I had always thought about doing one that was 4 wheel drive for my dad before he passed. he liked to roam around places a normal mobility chair would get stuck. but it's a little late now. just a thought, good luck.

I know a man who put a 36hp motor in a gulf cart and was going to put the 57 chevy glass body on it but I think he sold it before he got done , they said it would spin the tires off it . just a thought. what kind of body did you have in mind ? golf cart size ? or bigger ?

a friend of mine and I designed a tracked "wheelchair" that he wanted to use to go exploring the everglades. we found small tracks from a tiny excavator that would of worked. However, he moved to northern Florida and I lost track of him, he has the plans. It would work using the track unit and modifying the controls. Our plans included a ramp in the back so he could roll into it with his chair.

using a tracked mini like this one....

weld on..........[;)

Attachments

• mini-1.jpg
    mini-1.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 21
Yanke Transplant,

I wanted to use the miniature Willys or Anglia bodies used on gokarts several years back . They seemed to have dried up .

gonzo

I have similar thoughts and increasing mobility issues. :mad:

I found a link for 'glass bodies. (Probably not for me as I'm 6' 2'' and 280 lbs... think: Shriner. :eek: :D)

http://www.sickntwisteddesigns.net/hotrodstbo.html

Now, the maniac inside says NO electric... gasoline, alcohol or possibly propane. He also tells me to build a trike.

My friend Norm provides the inspiration...

http://midmomc.com/index.php

bobbertrike5.jpg

Thats a nice looking trike......legs not working very well is the reason i'm converting my Harley into a trike.......getting old sucks:mad:

Mobility

My Parkinson's is making my walking much more difficult. I did not build this. I got it when my Father in law passed away. I did not want to give in but I cant walk any disttance at all. A friend painted it.

Attachments

• IMG_0873.JPG
    IMG_0873.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0877.JPG
    IMG_0877.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0875.JPG
    IMG_0875.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0878.JPG
    IMG_0878.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0879.JPG
    IMG_0879.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 16
After attending the NHRA NATIONALS last weekend , I've concluded that my handicap of Neuropthia is slowing me down and making motorsports a thing of my past . Walking is becoming too painful and coordination control is becoming worse as well . I'm now going to have to resort to a motorized chair of some sort in the very near future .

Having always been a hot rodder / tinkerer , I want to build my own handicap ride . I will need a DC electric drive line to start and then it's off to a personalized body /seat mount .

Are there any of you here that are in this situation as well ?

Please share your suggestions .

Thx
Gonzo

How about something like these ? Mobility scooters with custom bodies. My buddy has one with a mini 32 3 widow body mounted to it, he sits on the roof, it has a similar handlebar setup. My wife has Neuropthia so I know how it is, walking is getting more painful all the time. Sometimes the biggest issue is overcoming the mental stigma of being in a 'power chair', having some fun with creating a custom ride could help smooth out tghe road....

Attachments

• mv 34 highboy left .jpg
    mv 34 highboy left .jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 21
  • mv nascar at track.jpg
    mv nascar at track.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 19
tri.jpg Dr. Crank I hope you dont mind me playing with your picture ...... its ruff looking and not proportioned like it should be but you get the idea . I saw this on one of those build shows counting cars or something . it had the sides of a pick up back bed on it to make the box for the chair to sit in ..

robert akers ?"s whar rear end are you using, i looks factory. i have sugar problems i have severe blood flow problems your little scotter you built is a fine piece of work. any info would be appericated ( i spelled that wrong) thanks robert akers

if I start to lose mobility and need to get a scooter it will have a sound system of a roaring engine and wheelspinning tyres. [ddd

Just to polish that off some canned smoke at the rear wheels should complete the illusion [ddd

robert akers ?"s whar rear end are you using, i looks factory. i have sugar problems i have severe blood flow problems your little scotter you built is a fine piece of work. any info would be appericated ( i spelled that wrong) thanks robert akers

It looks like a Harley Servi car rear end.
The problem with is the sprocket is a 41 tooth. to mate it to a Big harley you need a 18 tooth engine sprocket and a 24 counter to get any raito. all big Harleys are 51 tooth.

they make a aftermarket one with belt or sprocket by DNA .

Attachments

• P3060119.JPG
    P3060119.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 19
  • P3060121.JPG
    P3060121.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 21
  • P5140221.JPG
    P5140221.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 17
  • P6270242.JPG
    P6270242.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 17
View attachment 111686 Dr. Crank I hope you dont mind me playing with your picture ...... its ruff looking and not proportioned like it should be but you get the idea .

Not at all YT. Bugger with it all you like, that's why we're here. :D

'Round here, the old three wheeled Harley Golf carts are fairly plentiful... and cheap. Maybe a good place to start...

Good idea DOC . I see a few locally but not plentiful . That gives me some thinking material anyway .

Thank You
Gonzo

Latest posts

Back