Gas tank sealers

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CORPO

Buildin' it his way, one piece at a time...
Alright guys don't know if there has been a thread on this topic, did a quick search didn't see one

I know there are lots of different products and im just looking at what people have experienced. It kinda seems from the little bit of digging i have done just about every product has some favorable reviews and some negative "dont ever buy this product" reviews

I was looking at the Caswell Epoxy tank sealant, its kind of pricey though

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009T8BUG2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2YTLWSIIIEHLL

My gut tells me they are all probably similar and that the effectiveness of the product must be determined by the application. Something with the cleanliness of the tank, how dry it is, temperature, evenness of the coating..not sure anyone have thoughts on this???

I'm no expert on the sealers but what i've seen with friends using the creme (spelling) sealer in motorcycle tanks and antique car tanks is they didn't have much long term luck. it would peel over time and flake off and leak again. it would also clog up carbs, petcocks and mess up filters and fuel pumps. I have had good luck with fuel tank epoxy repair kits sold at napa. like anything else, prepping it properly makes all the difference. how bad is the tank? I've welded them and welded in patches. I've also seen tanks brazed and also soldered. Good luck.

I used red kote sealer in 2 so far and have had no problems. prep is the key. I had a few pin holes and brazed those then sealed the inside. I too 48 plus hours to ensure drying time and so far so good with many tanks of fuel through each of them

Let me say I researched sealers on several different forums. The general consensus was Kreme was fine before they started adding ethanol to the gas, then it no longer worked too good since the ethanol melted it.

I got a lot of good reports on the POR 15 sealer, the Red Kote sealer, and Bill Hirsch sealer. I personally picked the Red Kote due to price and the fact that it was available locally at O Reilly's.

Let me say I researched sealers on several different forums. The general consensus was Kreme was fine before they started adding ethanol to the gas, then it no longer worked too good since the ethanol melted it.

I got a lot of good reports on the POR 15 sealer, the Red Kote sealer, and Bill Hirsch sealer. I personally picked the Red Kote due to price and the fact that it was available locally at O Reilly's.

Yep, and my local radiator shop has been using Red Kote for a long time. Prep,prep,prep.

Thanks guys for the input,

My tank isnt too terrible, I did some patch work on th bottom and a few of the patches weep I could keep welding on it but I feel like I might just keep chasing it. The inside of the tank is what I would consider surface rust, nothing too terrible.

Im thinking about just coating the outside of the tank in fiberglass resin.... see if that fixes my weeping issues.. if not then do a sealer on the inside. I have some concerns with the potential for the coating failing. I got the tank at a swap meet and have no idea what its from, so if I ruin the tank having the coating fail.. Im kinda up a creek without a paddle...

The tank also has two internal baffles that I think will make it difficult to get an even coat, which adds to my concerns about the coating failing

Most of the time, a good cleaning with muriatic acid will clean it up just fine. Internal tank sealers are a must on some projects. But, I do know that Harley Davidson quit using sealers in their fuel tanks from the factory around 04 ,due to the fact that the lining was coming loose and getting into injector lines. I just did a tank last month that had some light surface rust. I cleaned it, and filled it up and no problems since. With baffles in the tank the sealer would be especially hard to get everywhere you on need it.

Latest posts

Back