I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a new 4 1/2" bolt pattern drilled in the wheels. Now they're usable.

31 of us rented the drag strip for the day Sunday and played with our cars. I ran a personal best of 11.59 @117.65 MPH. My previous PR was 11.70. The trans brake malfunctioned on the first run so I just left at an idle and stabbed it on the last yellow. 60' times are slow so there is that improvement to look forward to.

I had a grudge race with a friend with a perfect '55 Chevy with a blown small block. My 11.65 to his 11.66. My -.057 red light to his .113 green light. Would have been a great race if I could have waited just a hair longer.

A couple weeks ago the Meltdown Drags guys put on the 2nd annual Fallout Drags. I ran the dragster and did well setting a PR of 11.65 @ 118mph. Unfortunately the Powerglide let go. So I figured it was time to blow the digger apart and clean it up a bit. Painted the underside of the frame with John Deere yellow today. Tomorrow I'll flip it over and paint the top side.

The 9" rear end housing has been narrowed. next is resplining the axles. All the parts will be stored until spring when it will be reassembled. Now, on to a roadster project.

Attachments

• Yellow Chassis 001.jpg
    Yellow Chassis 001.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 69
Was going to take the Powerglide to Tranny Tim yesterday. Unbolted it from the engine and the converter came off with the trans. All the flex plate to converter bolts backed out. There's nothing wrong with the transmission.
The axles can't be resplined because they neck down slightly so I'll order new ones from Ducthman.

sawzall, I'm building a "29 Chevy roadster pickup probably without a box. There's a build thread.

Bamamav, I find building hot rods is very relaxing.

Spring is just around the corner, although with the snowfall last night it looks like winter again. Nevertheless, I reassembled the narrowed rear end with Dutchman billet axles. It is still a 3.70 with an Auburn limited slip. I bought a 8" converter from Freakshow transmissions in Texas. It should launch the car much better as it is quite a bit looser than the old converter. Got accepted to the Meltdown Drags in Byron Ill. in July. The best nostalgia drag race in the country.

Attachments

• Misc stuff 001.jpg
    Misc stuff 001.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 31
The snow is almost all gone and the ground is dry. A friend came over to help me dig the frame out of the back garage. I spray bombed some thin spots in the yellow. Yellow doesn't cove very well. I managed to get the narrowed rear end bolted in place even though my hips aren't working worth a darn. I get some injections in them in a week and a half. Hopefully that will kill the pain. Should get the front axle under it tomorrow. Should take a couple weeks to get it reassembled.

Attachments

• digger ressy 001.jpg
    digger ressy 001.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 28
  • digger ressy 002.jpg
    digger ressy 002.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 26
I'll keep posting for my own amusement. Got the front suspension, master cylinder and brake pedal installed. Went to install my new high stall converter and the bolt pattern is too large to fit the flex plate. I'm sure Freakshow, the converter builder will get it straightened out.

Attachments

• more digger 001.jpg
    more digger 001.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 26
I'll keep posting for my own amusement. Got the front suspension, master cylinder and brake pedal installed. Went to install my new high stall converter and the bolt pattern is too large to fit the flex plate. I'm sure Freakshow, the converter builder will get it straightened out.

It's looking great all spiffed up!

Hey Skip, I didn't check with the color police. It'll stay yellow however.
I filled the rear end and bled the brakes. Put the wheels on. The slicks are on Ansen Sprints now. The narrow rear end makes it look more like a dragster. There was only a few years in the early 50's when dragsters used full width rear ends. So my dragster now loosely represents the mid-50's, just before racers figured out there was an advantage in putting the driver behind the rear end.

Attachments

• Grub and frame 006.jpg
    Grub and frame 006.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Grub and frame 007.jpg
    Grub and frame 007.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Grub and frame 008.jpg
    Grub and frame 008.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 36
Just make sure you take care of your health first....the rest will fall
in place....love the Ansens... I ran a set in the early 80's wished I'd
kept them....may have been late 70's.....ha

OK Bob, we have covered mine and your health issues now it's time to talk race cars.

The 3 pictures of the dragster rolling chassis looks real nice. Like the new narrow rear end and the slicks on the Ansen's. The old ride is looking more like a high 10's - low 11's 300 inline 6 screamer. [cl

Got any more stuff done on it this past week? When are you going to build the dual 2100 plenum intake? Will you be using a lower EFI intake tubes as the base for the unit? If you are please take some build pictures. It will help me with mine.

Keep them pictures coming. Stay well :D

Latest posts

Back