1949 Dodge PilotHouse Ute from Australia.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not going to mail a dead rat, that was a terrible idea. :D
PM me your postal address and I'll send you something vehicle related and uniquely Australian.

It's not dead, it's just sleeping.

Good looking cab. I'm gonna watch this build because I know that style of truck is hard to work with.

Super interesting project. Leave the paint as is. You've made huge strides allready. Stay on it, please keep posting pics, I can't wait to see it when your done!

Looks cool, to bad you can't get someone to mount that rat in a big plastic ball, make one hell of a shift knob!

Regards,

Rev. D.

wow Wendlethat looks kool so far i'm digging it cant wait to more of it.... that dead rat is tottally awsomeyou have to mold it somewhere in to the build it would only be proper!!!![cl[cl[cl

Great looking job! Always wanted to visit your country, maybe someday I'll manage to get there. Were there a lot of American trucks imported by you guys? It's weird looking at a right hand drive Dodge truck. Keep the pics coming, we're looking forward to seeing more of your project!

Great looking job! Always wanted to visit your country, maybe someday I'll manage to get there. Were there a lot of American trucks imported by you guys? It's weird looking at a right hand drive Dodge truck. Keep the pics coming, we're looking forward to seeing more of your project!

I don't think there were a huge amount brought in, but we have never had the big scrap prices that you guys seem to get in waves, so most of what was brought in is still around.
With most of the cities being along the coast there is a lot of stuff rusted beyond use though :(

A mate of mine recently found these two solid cars near his property up in the mountains.

calphone111209006.jpg

calphone111209007.jpg

I beleive in this area they are getting $120.00 per ton at this time for scrap cars. It's hard not to get rid of some of the late model stuff if your are trying to build a rod on a shoe string budget. I usally keep what I can use and sell the rest. I really enjoy you thread!. Keep us posted. I would love to visit your country some day.

Looks cool, to bad you can't get someone to mount that rat in a big plastic ball, make one hell of a shift knob!

Regards,

Rev. D.

The rats stealin the show!! I agree about 'plastisizing' the critter. Find a place to incorporate it in your build maybe, like a hood ornament or a dash palque.

It's weird enough to sell on Ebay and get get crazy bids on--might be fun..

PA41

If only it was a famous rat...:D Your build will be a lot of fun to follow. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
The shift knob is good. Or just hang it from your mirror. Needs to be shellac'd or something to preserve it though - or it will crumble apart eventually.

I don't think there were a huge amount brought in, but we have never had the big scrap prices that you guys seem to get in waves, so most of what was brought in is still around.
With most of the cities being along the coast there is a lot of stuff rusted beyond use though :(

A mate of mine recently found these two solid cars near his property up in the mountains.

calphone111209006.jpg

calphone111209007.jpg

The one in the second pic makes me [dr A truly unique Aussiemobile, that!

Welcome to RRR, Wendle and thanks for sharing your pics and progress!

Regards,
Shea:)

Not much to report, just been stripping apart the donor car.

I rolled a wheel under the front of the Dodge and it looks like I am going to have to section the fender and raise the wheel arch. It looks awesome like it is, but steering will be an issue.

Shea Laking, I've been told that particular model was only sold here in Aus and in Canada?

A Dodge pilothouse pickup/coupe-ute!?!:confused:

I've toured a fair few local boneyards with "the old stuff" in 'em over the past 20 or so years and I've never seen anything like that!!! It looks awesome!

Anyway, looks like your truck is a pretty solid starter and I'm definately looking forward to seeing your progress.[P

Regards,
Shea:)

crikey

g.day wendle.

nice start to your build mate .

your obviously a talented young bloke,[;) going by the work on your crawler

and the work you have already done on the dodge.

im sure the dodge will be a nice looking truck . will be wathching this one

with interest.

just one question ,why would you want to a mighty dodge on a lowly

holden chassis [S ;) :D :D

cheers brett

Moving along... A solid days work (spread out over a few days of xmas break) and the "host" is all stripped bare and waiting for it's new body. I'm hoping to have the body happy on it's new frame in the next week or so.

dodge13.jpg

dodge14.jpg

dodge15.jpg

dodge15point5.jpg

dodge16.jpg

g.day wendle.
nice start to your build mate .
your obviously a talented young bloke,[;) going by the work on your crawler
and the work you have already done on the dodge.
im sure the dodge will be a nice looking truck . will be wathching this one
with interest.
just one question ,why would you want to a mighty dodge on a lowly
holden chassis

cheers brett

Hey man, I like the way the old Holdens drive, and this one came stock with a solid engine, the auto box I wanted and already set up with straight gas, which I wanted.
Being able to get parts from any auto shop on any day of the year is a nice little bonus as well... :D

Latest posts

Back