1949 Dodge PilotHouse Ute from Australia.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like it fender work looks great deffinetly lines up on center better now.[;)

Thanks man, I would have liked to lift them a bit higher, but the two radii run into each other, and I'm definitely not good enough at bodywork to pull that off. [S

All that work and how many will even know. Well now it looks good and works right and we all know so thats good enough right?
402471-1.gif
thanks for sharing it with us Wendle.

Yep, it will have a flat tray on it. I plan on attaching motorcycle style fenders straight to the axle housing so they can hug the tyres nice and tight.

Had a day off work today and got a bit done. Got all the floor/fireall cut and tacked in. I'll finish welding it all when the body is back off the chassis as the sound deadener underneath keeps catching on fire :D

dodge27.jpg

dodge28.jpg

I also bit the bullet and tried what we were talking about earlier, sectioned each fender off-centre and swapped them left to right. I got the opening dead centre of the wheel and lifted it as much as I could - about 40mm.
I now have full steering lock, but I'll still radius the opening a bit to give it a bit more breathing room.

dodge29.jpg

dodge30.jpg

NICE! You even made a cutting template. SMART move!

Truck's looking fantastic, Wendle, thanks for sharing your pics.

Regards,
Shea

lookin good

Hey, lookin good, i wish i had some more time like you, looks like you got a bit done!
front guards look good will add character with the weld lines in it.
i'll let you steal my idea for the rear wheel guards, an old 44 gallon drum chopped up with the rim on the outside for strength, find an old orange red one with some paintwork similar, they look cool on my truck.

Hey, lookin good, i wish i had some more time like you, looks like you got a bit done!
front guards look good will add character with the weld lines in it.
i'll let you steal my idea for the rear wheel guards, an old 44 gallon drum chopped up with the rim on the outside for strength, find an old orange red one with some paintwork similar, they look cool on my truck.

i thought id start to do my own thread for my 59 ranchwagon, i stuck some pics up.

Probably doesn't look much different, but I've got a million little things done and the body is ready to lift back off for the last (hopefully) time.

dodge31.jpg

dodge32.jpg

dodge33.jpg

the only problem I see with the fender swap is that now your paint wont match......plans to fix that, or let it rust, or paint the whole thing?

I wasn't planning on painting it at all. I actually thought it matched up better now, seeing as pretty much every other part of the body has some kind of sanded back repair/modification? :D

If it ever rains here ever again it should get a light film of rust to help all the work look not quite so new.

Gee'z mate your getting stuck into it arent ya.....well done....

Cheers Tazz.

I've just been doing boring stuff the last couple of weeks.

Got the floor all welded in and the 70 odd holes in the firewall filled.

dodge34.jpg

Got the firewall painted and new sound deadener sprayed under the floor and under all the front sheetmetal.

dodge35.jpg

dodge36.jpg

I cut the rear crossmember off to get rid of the poorly built towing setup that was welded to it. The previous owner is lucky he never killed anyone with this.

**The following pictures are not suitable for anyone with a heart condition :D

towbar1.jpg

towbar2.jpg

towbar3.jpg

Started on the cradle for my LPG tanks. Just need to make hinged straps to hold them down. The taller hoop at the front will carry the two front mounts for the flatbed. The two rear mounts will be on the new rear crossmember that I weld in. I have a rear crossmember off an ambulance with a receiver hitch setup I plan on using.

dodge37.jpg

dodge38.jpg

dodge39.jpg

towbar

doesnt an inch of weld hold a tonne?
i reckon theres at least 3 inches all together there, should be right to tow a dog trailer with that!

No progress for a while.
I cut through some tendons in the back of my forearm (the ones that operate fingers and thumb) and had to have a plastic surgeon weld them back together.
I have had my arm in a cast the last two weeks while everything heals up and have at least a week to go.

hey

No progress for a while.
I cut through some tendons in the back of my forearm (the ones that operate fingers and thumb) and had to have a plastic surgeon weld them back together.
I have had my arm in a cast the last two weeks while everything heals up and have at least a week to go.

sounds nice, i did that over in whistler, microsurgery on th wrist, i was 6 weeks in a cast, bummer i lost 6 weeks on the snowmobile!
casts get stinky after being a mechanic!
take it easy!

Latest posts

Back