1949 Dodge PilotHouse Ute from Australia.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey

good to see your back at it, youll be finished before my wagon!
you know anyone chasing a project?
i have a 1948 ford truck, freighter sitting on a f100 rolling chassis 351 cleveland c6 9" etc stepside rear tub with fibreglass rear guards.

if you know anyone chasing that sort of thing let us know.

how much was your plasma bench? how hard is it to programme?

good to see your back at it, youll be finished before my wagon!
you know anyone chasing a project?
i have a 1948 ford truck, freighter sitting on a f100 rolling chassis 351 cleveland c6 9" etc stepside rear tub with fibreglass rear guards.
if you know anyone chasing that sort of thing let us know.
how much was your plasma bench? how hard is it to programme?

Wasn't Tazz chasing a truck? When I was talking about buying this Dodge he said he'd take it if I didn't end up getting it... Got any pics of the ford?

The CNC machine is real easy to use if you already know AutoCAD or something similar. If you want you can just draw your parts in CAD and import them into the machine software.
I do a bit of G-code entry by hand as well just to stop my brain from freezing. That's a bit more difficult, but there's not really any need to learn that stuff with these little machines.
The big machines I use at work can deal with parametirc programming and logic steps at multiple levels, that's when it becomes a bit more of a science.

Wasn't Tazz chasing a truck? When I was talking about buying this Dodge he said he'd take it if I didn't end up getting it... Got any pics of the ford?

The CNC machine is real easy to use if you already know AutoCAD or something similar. If you want you can just draw your parts in CAD and import them into the machine software.
I do a bit of G-code entry by hand as well just to stop my brain from freezing. That's a bit more difficult, but there's not really any need to learn that stuff with these little machines.
The big machines I use at work can deal with parametirc programming and logic steps at multiple levels, that's when it becomes a bit more of a science.

tazza just bought my swb sierra for a project, i stuck the old truck on ebay, so have a bid for me!

I've just started on the flat tray. Made up a curved front rail to match the curve in the back of the cab.

dodge47.jpg

I've also cut up the steel for the rear and sides of it. I'll probably try to get it all built and fitted by the end of this weekend.

dodge48.jpg

The curved front on the flatbed sounds interesting.

Are you going to mount the wooden planks on top of that or recessed inside the framework?

The curved front on the flatbed sounds interesting.

Are you going to mount the wooden planks on top of that or recessed inside the framework?

The timber will be fitted flush within the frame, should look good I hope...

I managed to get the frame welded together and the mounts built.

dodge49.jpg

It's mounted on poly bushings at each corner, idea being that the bolts can be pulled out of the front two mounts and the whole thing pivoted up to access everything under it.

dodge50.jpg

dodge51.jpg

I had a little bit of scope as to how high i wanted it to sit, I ended up mounting it to match the height of the top of the front fenders.

dodge52.jpg

that CNC plasma sure is handy for the custom bracketry. Looks good! [P

It's awesome, wish I had it years ago. Just makes it so easy to do a much nicer job of things.

I haven't done much, but I got all the rear of the chassis and the tray all coated in black epoxy, just need to pull the rear axle out and make up my fenders to attach to it, then I can coat it and I'm done with painting. I hate painting.
I also have the timber for the tray put aside at work, just have to bring it home and cut it in. It's Mountain Ash tongue and groove flooring, looks pretty nice without being over the top.

Sorry, only took pics on my telephone this time...

dodge53.jpg

dodge54.jpg

dodge55.jpg

dodge56.jpg

Been hacking away at the small stuff.

Got my steering column in and done, should have done it earlier, it's heaps easier moving it around now that I don't have to grab the tyres and steer them :eek:

Here is the column support I made, it ties the dash to the firewall and the column then bolts up using the stock collapsible hardware.
I really need to get a TIG machine. MIG welding looks a bit agricultural on small detailed stuff.

dodge61.jpg

Made up my swing mount to hang the brake pedal and get the booster and master cylinder mounted. I made the pedal reach adjustable. The big Holden booster is pretty tight in the engine bay. I'll have to modify one of the struts than run from the firewall to the radiator support.

dodge60.jpg

Hoping to have both pedals in and done this weekend.

love the CNC!

I see you are loving the ole CNC! makes custom bracketry an art form. And easy too! [;)

seeing those brackets makes me want to go out and get a CNC machine. i am going to need a lot of brackets like that for my upcoming project. Great idea with the bushings on the bed too. it will make life easy to fix things and if you have anything on the bed that you want off quickly.

Whats happening here o'long haired one - got the baby capsule in the middle yet or what???

Only small stuff left to do man, but heaps of it. I'm getting there.

I need a bench seat about 1400 wide, keep an eye out for me!

seat

Only small stuff left to do man, but heaps of it. I'm getting there.

I need a bench seat about 1400 wide, keep an eye out for me!

i used an older holden rodeo seat, but i cut the sides to a bit of a taper to fit the cab and got it retrimmed in olive canvas, suits the rat nicely.

oi

Whats happening here o'long haired one - got the baby capsule in the middle yet or what???

me and marzi went for a trip with stormie in the truck the other day.
she liked it so i let her borrow it, she had to fill it up with fuel though... bad mistake

i still had the old filler in the cab, and she pumped 10 litres into the cab wondering why it was running out the gaps in the door!!!

Latest posts

Back