I need help identifying this setup.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dually

I Just Bought This truck. Its 54 Chevy. I'vd Decided Its A Pontiac Motor, But Can't Find Any Info On this GM Turbo Setup. Any Ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20130426_055549_010.jpg
    IMG_20130426_055549_010.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 80
Wow, thanks so much for the quick response. I was completely in the dark. Now to get it running. This might be a cool setup. Oh...and I didnt think my first post had gone through. Still new at this.

I just finished restoring one for a guy so I learned a ton about them and have another sitting by the shop to restore after I'm done with the 79 T/A restoration I got going.......?These are not my cars.

I'm not sure how that would happen....

I agree they are gutless but I'm getting paid to restore these cars....lol

However I'm told they can be made capable to the tune of 400 horse.....not my words but .......

They had some built in flaws that made them less than desireable for much of anything but a restore.....blocks were weak, cranks were whimpy and the head casting were also weak.....overall the thought was good but should have stayed with the 350 motors and turbo'd those.....I'm sure insurance and other factors/ weight and such were involved but Pontiac didn't do anyone any favors with that motor.....If I remember I think they even had camshaft issues as well......but so did Chevy when General Dynamics were building Cams for GM......poor heat treating and such made them lose lobes like a an ugly girl loses boyfriends....lol

Not being arguementative 26T.....

But I don't think Olds had a "small block" per se..the 330, 350, 400, 403, 425 and 455 were all the same size motors.....if my old memory serves me...which at times it doesn't....lol....:D

Had one brand new in a 80 Trans Am pace car. Car handled great but NO power. They used them in the second Smokey and the Bandit flick, Found to be so anemic they stopped production and had them fitted with nitros just to perform the movie stunts.[;)

But I don't think Olds had a "small block" per se..the 330, 350, 400, 403, 425 and 455 were all the same size motors.....if my old memory serves me...which at times it doesn't....lol....:D

330, 350, and 403 are small blocks, and 400, 425, and 455 are big blocks. they all look the same and the big block heads will bolt to a small block. problem with doing that is the port size on the heads and chamber size. the olds motors have a dome (hemi) shaped chamber on the heads too. you even had two styles of the 400. 67 and 67 had a bigger bore and shorter stroke, same stroke as 425. the 68 and newer 400's had a smaller bore and longer stroke same as 455.

OK....I guess I was mainly saying the dimensions of the

330, 350, and 403 are small blocks, and 400, 425, and 455 are big blocks. they all look the same and the big block heads will bolt to a small block. problem with doing that is the port size on the heads and chamber size. the olds motors have a dome (hemi) shaped chamber on the heads too. you even had two styles of the 400. 67 and 67 had a bigger bore and shorter stroke, same stroke as 425. the 68 and newer 400's had a smaller bore and longer stroke same as 455.

motors were all the same...not bore and stroke same but dimensions same..I've never really heard anyone refer to any Buick Pontiac Cad or Olds motor as a "small block"....as Chevy had the 265 283 327 307 350 and 400 "small" blocks that dimensionally were smaller than the 396/400 402 427 454 engines..... so I guess that it's simply semantics....Fords have the "small" block 265 289 302 351 and then the "big" blocks 352, 390, 406, 427, 460 and so on....where was I now....???? LOL...you say pa tae to....I say Pa tah too...

The crank in the 301 was designed with less counter weights to save weight. It caused the crank to be weak and flex eating bearings. RPM was limited to 4500 rpm because of this problem.

The crank in the 301 was designed with less counter weights to save weight. It caused the crank to be weak and flex eating bearings. RPM was limited to 4500 rpm because of this problem.

Is there a more stout crank that can be swapped in say if a person was wanting to keep it stock appearing but more durable?

sarge i sent you a pm with some links on the olds and the buick. never saw a small block caddie and the only small block pontiac is the 301. i guess the best way to compare the olds is like the big block chevy to the tall deck truck motor, the reg. big block intake will not fit the tall deck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back