Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #221  
Old 02-07-2019, 08:03 PM
kenny c kenny c is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Greenwich R.I.
Posts: 2,787
Default

Nice.
__________________
Tetanus Tornado 49 F6
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 02-07-2019, 09:19 PM
animal's Avatar
animal animal is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Downtown Hooper, CO
Posts: 1,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny c View Post
Nice.
Thanks!
__________________
HEY READERS!! My action novels are available as trade paperbacks as well as ebooks. Check 'em out at http://larryanimalgarner.com All proceeds go to car parts!
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 06-24-2019, 07:31 PM
animal's Avatar
animal animal is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Downtown Hooper, CO
Posts: 1,140
Default Front Suspension Redux

As some of you know, I had front lower ball joint failure on the Ford. Upon disassembly, I found both ball joints on the passenger side to be nearly impossible to move by hand. They seem to be "grinding", almost bound up. I got all new Moog parts for both sides to replace the new no-name parts I installed less than 4,000 miles ago. I'm replacing tie rod ends as well. While everything is apart, I'll be installing Viking double adjustable coilovers. I probably don't need all that adjustability, but like the bearings as opposed to poly urethane bushings, and I got the wrenches and Torrington bearings in the kit. The o ly thing I noticed is that on their ad, they say you can install them on stock lower control arms, but in the instructions it says not to mount them to a surface less than 3/16" thick. The lower shock mount area on the stock lower control arm isn't even close. I guess I'll make some spacer plates and tack them in place to make sure the mounting thickness is sufficient. No pictures other than one of the shocks ..I'll post more as things go back together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190621_150858399_HDR.jpg (146.9 KB, 20 views)
__________________
HEY READERS!! My action novels are available as trade paperbacks as well as ebooks. Check 'em out at http://larryanimalgarner.com All proceeds go to car parts!
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 06-24-2019, 08:53 PM
Torchie's Avatar
Torchie Torchie is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Michigan
Posts: 5,720
Default


Torchie
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 06-24-2019, 10:38 PM
earthman's Avatar
earthman earthman is offline
Fascinated by rolling objects!
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tempe AZ on the corner of Oak and Southern
Posts: 11,047
Default

Yep, going to be better this time around.
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 06-24-2019, 10:54 PM
soltz's Avatar
soltz soltz is offline
The Rat Captain
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Temecula, Ca
Posts: 4,154
Thumbs up

Over building is good!!!
__________________
Be Safe
and
Be Creative
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 06-25-2019, 04:49 AM
Old Iron's Avatar
Old Iron Old Iron is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Willard Mo.
Posts: 11,489
Default


Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 06-25-2019, 09:17 AM
05snopro440's Avatar
05snopro440 05snopro440 is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta
Posts: 3,169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal View Post
As some of you know, I had front lower ball joint failure on the Ford. Upon disassembly, I found both ball joints on the passenger side to be nearly impossible to move by hand. They seem to be "grinding", almost bound up. I got all new Moog parts for both sides to replace the new no-name parts I installed less than 4,000 miles ago. I'm replacing tie rod ends as well. While everything is apart, I'll be installing Viking double adjustable coilovers. I probably don't need all that adjustability, but like the bearings as opposed to poly urethane bushings, and I got the wrenches and Torrington bearings in the kit. The o ly thing I noticed is that on their ad, they say you can install them on stock lower control arms, but in the instructions it says not to mount them to a surface less than 3/16" thick. The lower shock mount area on the stock lower control arm isn't even close. I guess I'll make some spacer plates and tack them in place to make sure the mounting thickness is sufficient. No pictures other than one of the shocks ..I'll post more as things go back together.
I'd like to put coilovers on my 62, but my concern was the thickness of the control arm as well. With the prices of new tubular arms getting much more reasonable, it might just be worth it to go that way. I'm interested to see how yours works out.

If the ball joints were stiff, they definitely could have been binding up and trying to force the nut off.
__________________
My 455 Buick powered '46 GMC Build Thread

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 06-25-2019, 08:18 PM
Dr Crankenstein's Avatar
Dr Crankenstein Dr Crankenstein is offline
Rocket Surgeon
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SK CAN
Posts: 5,941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal View Post
I got all new Moog parts for both sides to replace the new no-name parts I installed less than 4,000 miles ago.
With respect... spread the word, Larry! Those cheap parts nearly cost you your life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05snopro440 View Post
I'd like to put coilovers on my 62, but my concern was the thickness of the control arm as well. With the prices of new tubular arms getting much more reasonable, it might just be worth it to go that way.
For the love of god, don't buy any more eBay parts of unknown origin. If I were you, I'd fully plate the original control arms, unless you can find and afford a quality tubular arm made on this continent.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 05snopro440 View Post
If the ball joints were stiff, they definitely could have been binding up and trying to force the nut off.
I never thought of that, but you're right. If the ball joint was piled up, the stud would turn inside the spindle and therefore, turn back and forth inside the seated nut... that kind of action could chew off a titanium cotter pin...

.
__________________
- The distinction between psychological illness and creative thinking is wafer thin -

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 06-26-2019, 09:26 AM
animal's Avatar
animal animal is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Downtown Hooper, CO
Posts: 1,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Crankenstein View Post
With respect... spread the word, Larry! Those cheap parts nearly cost you your life!



For the love of god, don't buy any more eBay parts of unknown origin. If I were you, I'd fully plate the original control arms, unless you can find and afford a quality tubular arm made on this continent.




I never thought of that, but you're right. If the ball joint was piled up, the stud would turn inside the spindle and therefore, turn back and forth inside the seated nut... that kind of action could chew off a titanium cotter pin...

.
I'm with you, Doc! No more no-name parts. I realize not all Moog parts are made in the USA anymore, but at least they are made to Moog's standards (hopefully). I got lucky...all four ball joints I bought for the Ford say made in USA on the box. The Moog tie rod ends will be here tomorrow.

I'll make a plate to cover the area where the shocks mount and cover as much as I can, then weld it to the control arm. I honestly think that should be plenty. The coilover bolts in from the top, so I can cover up the hole originally used to remove the stock shock absorber and just drill the two holes for the coilover mount.

I'm battling a severe case of Plantar Fasciitis and going to therapy twice a week. When I get home from therapy, I'm pretty much done for the day. I'm hoping I can get out to the garage Friday and spend the weekend on the front suspension. Getting old ain't for sissies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camaro lower control arm.jpg (40.6 KB, 5 views)
__________________
HEY READERS!! My action novels are available as trade paperbacks as well as ebooks. Check 'em out at http://larryanimalgarner.com All proceeds go to car parts!

Last edited by animal; 06-26-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Rat Rods Rule Inc.