Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 02-07-2019, 08:03 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Nice.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:19 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny c View Post
Nice.
Thanks!
Old 06-24-2019, 07:31 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Default Front Suspension Redux

As some of you know, I had front lower ball joint failure on the Ford. Upon disassembly, I found both ball joints on the passenger side to be nearly impossible to move by hand. They seem to be "grinding", almost bound up. I got all new Moog parts for both sides to replace the new no-name parts I installed less than 4,000 miles ago. I'm replacing tie rod ends as well. While everything is apart, I'll be installing Viking double adjustable coilovers. I probably don't need all that adjustability, but like the bearings as opposed to poly urethane bushings, and I got the wrenches and Torrington bearings in the kit. The o ly thing I noticed is that on their ad, they say you can install them on stock lower control arms, but in the instructions it says not to mount them to a surface less than 3/16" thick. The lower shock mount area on the stock lower control arm isn't even close. I guess I'll make some spacer plates and tack them in place to make sure the mounting thickness is sufficient. No pictures other than one of the shocks ..I'll post more as things go back together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190621_150858399_HDR.jpg (146.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 06-24-2019, 08:53 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Torchie
Old 06-24-2019, 10:38 PM
Fascinated by rolling objects!

Yep, going to be better this time around.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:54 PM
The Rat Captain

Thumbs up

Over building is good!!!
Old 06-25-2019, 04:49 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Old 06-25-2019, 09:17 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal View Post
As some of you know, I had front lower ball joint failure on the Ford. Upon disassembly, I found both ball joints on the passenger side to be nearly impossible to move by hand. They seem to be "grinding", almost bound up. I got all new Moog parts for both sides to replace the new no-name parts I installed less than 4,000 miles ago. I'm replacing tie rod ends as well. While everything is apart, I'll be installing Viking double adjustable coilovers. I probably don't need all that adjustability, but like the bearings as opposed to poly urethane bushings, and I got the wrenches and Torrington bearings in the kit. The o ly thing I noticed is that on their ad, they say you can install them on stock lower control arms, but in the instructions it says not to mount them to a surface less than 3/16" thick. The lower shock mount area on the stock lower control arm isn't even close. I guess I'll make some spacer plates and tack them in place to make sure the mounting thickness is sufficient. No pictures other than one of the shocks ..I'll post more as things go back together.
I'd like to put coilovers on my 62, but my concern was the thickness of the control arm as well. With the prices of new tubular arms getting much more reasonable, it might just be worth it to go that way. I'm interested to see how yours works out.

If the ball joints were stiff, they definitely could have been binding up and trying to force the nut off.

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:18 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal View Post
I got all new Moog parts for both sides to replace the new no-name parts I installed less than 4,000 miles ago.
With respect... spread the word, Larry! Those cheap parts nearly cost you your life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05snopro440 View Post
I'd like to put coilovers on my 62, but my concern was the thickness of the control arm as well. With the prices of new tubular arms getting much more reasonable, it might just be worth it to go that way.
For the love of god, don't buy any more eBay parts of unknown origin. If I were you, I'd fully plate the original control arms, unless you can find and afford a quality tubular arm made on this continent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05snopro440 View Post
If the ball joints were stiff, they definitely could have been binding up and trying to force the nut off.
I never thought of that, but you're right. If the ball joint was piled up, the stud would turn inside the spindle and therefore, turn back and forth inside the seated nut... that kind of action could chew off a titanium cotter pin...

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan
Old 06-26-2019, 09:26 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Crankenstein View Post
With respect... spread the word, Larry! Those cheap parts nearly cost you your life!

For the love of god, don't buy any more eBay parts of unknown origin. If I were you, I'd fully plate the original control arms, unless you can find and afford a quality tubular arm made on this continent.

I never thought of that, but you're right. If the ball joint was piled up, the stud would turn inside the spindle and therefore, turn back and forth inside the seated nut... that kind of action could chew off a titanium cotter pin...

I'm with you, Doc! No more no-name parts. I realize not all Moog parts are made in the USA anymore, but at least they are made to Moog's standards (hopefully). I got lucky...all four ball joints I bought for the Ford say made in USA on the box. The Moog tie rod ends will be here tomorrow.

I'll make a plate to cover the area where the shocks mount and cover as much as I can, then weld it to the control arm. I honestly think that should be plenty. The coilover bolts in from the top, so I can cover up the hole originally used to remove the stock shock absorber and just drill the two holes for the coilover mount.

I'm battling a severe case of Plantar Fasciitis and going to therapy twice a week. When I get home from therapy, I'm pretty much done for the day. I'm hoping I can get out to the garage Friday and spend the weekend on the front suspension. Getting old ain't for sissies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camaro lower control arm.jpg (40.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by animal; 06-26-2019 at 09:37 AM.