Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > The "BS" Lounge

The "BS" Lounge Off topic posts & general stuff with no category! You talkin' to ME?!?!?!

Old 11-10-2019, 11:50 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Default Computer question

My main home PC died. It has been getting harder to get it to boot up if the power was interrupted, once it finally got power it would boot fine. Sometime Friday before I got home, the power blinked out for a few minutes, now I can't get the power light on the PC to come on and it is dead. I'm thinking the power supply finally bit the dust, it's 7 years old I think, and has been on almost all that time.

Found a few replacements, just need to order one. Question is, how hard are they to swap out? Is it just a matter of unplug and plug in the new, or is their some voo doo you have to do to keep from frying everything? I REALLY want to try and save this one, I have hundreds of pics on it I'd hate to lose. I've thought about getting a portable hard drive and mirroring it for a backup just in case this happened, but never got around to doing it.

I'm somewhat computer literate, but no expert. Anybody able to walk me through this, or am I just being paranoid?
Old 11-10-2019, 12:17 PM
Older and more rusted every day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamamav View Post
Question is, how hard are they to swap out?
Piece of cake... plug & play! Sounds like you need an UPS to keep it from taking spikes!

BoB

RRR on Facebook
RRR on Twitter
Wanted: Ratty '35 Olds coupe!
Old 11-10-2019, 12:32 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Yep, just swap it out and fire it up. You might find some extra leads and plugs, so be aware of what goes where and let 'er rip!

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan
Old 11-10-2019, 12:58 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Make sure the power supply you get will fit in your computer case (this is more crucial on smaller desktop computers). It's easy to change it out, nothing major.

If your motherboard is dead though, the power supply won't help. You never know with a power spike. If you're not running a surge protector you should be, they protect against a lot of undesired outcomes.

It's also much better for it to shut it off while not in use.

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:20 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Thanks guys. I was hoping it was that simple. I tried putting in a dvd drive in another computer one time, that didnít work out so good!

I do have it on a surge protector, I think age has just finally caught up with it. I leave it on all the time that way it can do automatic updates at night when Iím asleep. You know how Microsoft is on their updates sometimes!

As far as the power supply, I got the numbers off of it and did a google search. Found the same unit on several sites, so I figure itís a common one for Dell and HP. Looking at pics, it looks identical, and the plugs on the leads look the same.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:01 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

as snopro said make sure it is the one for your computer. little food for thought, you can go to walmart and get a new updated tower pretty cheap and be a step ahead. i got to do the same, mine works fine but it is slow and there's a few things i can't do with it.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:12 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Iíd love to get a new tower but not in the budget right now. And I really want to try and save that hard drive because of all the pics on there.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:31 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Nine times out of ten the hard drives are not damaged.
Get a new power supply and plug it in.
Take a pic of the old power supply hookup before unplugging it.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:29 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Late to the game here, but like others have already said, it's a pretty simple process to replace a PSU. The main thing I'd add is to make sure all power is off to the system before opening it, then hit the power button once more to drain the capacitors on the main board. Then, and especially if you have a type of carpet in your office that generates static, touch the metal frame work of the case before you touch any of the circuitry, and each time after moving your feet around on the floor. (Drains off static electricity, which can be enough to fry the electronics.)
If you do decide to replace the system, or if it still won't start up after replacing the PSU, and a bad mother board is suspected, you should be able to connect your old hard disk drive to the new system (just need an extra SATA cable, which you should be able to use from the old system), and copy off all of your photos & other files.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:11 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I knew that about the static electricity, shouldnít be a problem, hardwood floor and desk.

Iíve heard the term SATA before, just not sure what it looks like, Iíll google it when I get time.

I have a lot of data I really donít want to lose. My stupidity for not already backing it up. But you know how it goes, Iíll do it later.......

Thanks for the info