the bob peters 48 3100

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got it running! i had to really squitch and squash the lower rad hose around on this one. its funny how the perfect placement of the engine makes or breaks so many things, too far to the pass side or too far rearward and lower rad hose probs. too far to the drivers side and steering shaft interference. too far forward and the fan hits the rad. i keep dialing it in.

anyway, full of coolant and trans fluid and oil. click the pic to play.

85C381EB-77C2-4620-8519-7C40C0607943 by Rooty Tooty, on Flickr

revved it a bit off video and have just a slight rocker or lifter noise at like 3k rpm, I changed the oil while it was out and refilled with some rotella synthetic so its already quieter, but I will watch it closely.

rebuilding doors. my first comment is ^&%#$%* the wing window doors.

if you havent taken one apart, there is a 1/2" bolt up in about 7 inches from the lower hinge hole, no access from the top, side or otherwise. if the weld nut on the track is loose, like mine, you need to cut an access hole. if fact, since I had the two doors I wanted to use and two doors with good glass, I had to do the operation THREE TIMES

attachment.php

after the first one though all the banging and swearing had scared my clutch head bit to who-knows-where? it was close to time to pick up beeps from school so after that I started driving west to bowtie bits. about halfway there I realized he was closed on fridays the last few years. shoot. no sense in wasting a nice drive though so I figured to just go and turn around in his parking lot.

when I got there his truck was in the parking lot! but the door was locked, maybe he left it over the weekend. as we got back in the car the garage door opened and he got me some clutch heads bits! if you guys need old chevy truck parts, jeff is one of the best guys to get them from!

in other project related news, I have a hankering recently to do a ford. i considered using an s10 there too but maybe would keep an eye out for a ford product as a donor. my wifes customer was lamenting how their father was getting older and they had to clean everything out, including his grand marquis... I am sure you see where this is going.

attachment.php

attachment.php

92k, inside the oil cap looks new new new. has the performance package with 16" wheels, 3.27 torsion lock rear axle, and dual exhaust! fun to romp on and gets 24mpg on the highway.

Attachments

• IMG_9267.jpg
    IMG_9267.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 232A8532-3128-406F-8FE9-55B94D944990.jpg
    232A8532-3128-406F-8FE9-55B94D944990.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 4AB2CC6C-6068-475A-85C6-B1CED04B6694.jpg
    4AB2CC6C-6068-475A-85C6-B1CED04B6694.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 73
its a nice car but it will be a donor, chassis and drivetrain, for something else, maybe a 67-72 ford pickup. there is one I have been haunting a while...

not a lot of progress. LMC door glass seal kits can suck my nuts. LMC customer service can hang there a minute too. I sent an email saying its the worst part I ever used, they generously offered a $50 gift card on their $80 part that was currently in my trash can. :rolleyes: I got the bed and doors on, I will upload pictures soon.

here is my funny story on parts: I sent my files over to have a run of brackets made and insisted on prototypes before a full run of 100 pieces. they told me no need, but I put my foot down.

here is what they sent, my plas part on top, their laser part on the bottom. I guess the laser cuuts faster so the part has to be bigger?

attachment.php

imagine if I had trusted them and just ordered 100? :eek: I THINK they imported in metric and then changed to inch without converting to inches, because the 2" hole is 5.1" on their parts. [cl[cl

Attachments

• 63582635076__9E65C3D3-B20F-42AC-8DE4-4880DBD52716.JPG.jpg
    63582635076__9E65C3D3-B20F-42AC-8DE4-4880DBD52716.JPG.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 58
So.....being hard headed pays off some times.
What did they have to say about it. Not much I'd bet.

I think there are more issues with window rubber than any part used in restorations. It can be a real pain in the A$$.

Well, as they say, size matters. But so does shape, and it looks to me like they missed that, too. The do look nice, though. ;)

Latest posts

Back