fly-press

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutch

RRR Supportor
I purchased this old German fly press the other day.
The press was bought by a vintage interior dealer in Amsterdam years ago and sat outside ever since. They used to buy old machinery for the cast iron legs and turn those into "vintage industrial" tables and what not... The machines themselfs were all scrapped and still they made a huge profit. [S
Anyway, it was a hype and those come and go. The hype was gone and the pressed lived to see another day.

The years outside didn`t make it any better, it was frozen. I made a deal with the owner I would buy it if he got it moving again, which he did. So it was delivered a couple weeks ago , took it apart, had a few parts made that were broken and put is back together. The spindle cleaned up really nice and the whole thing works like new without any play whatsoever.

Now off to find some material to make a tool holder and tooling for this beast.
Cant wait to do some forging on it... [cl

The company that built it ,Schuler , still exists and is a big player in press and hammer business. I hope to get some more info on mine...

Attachments

• fly-press.jpg
    fly-press.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMGP7342.jpg
    IMGP7342.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMGP7348.jpg
    IMGP7348.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMGP7350.jpg
    IMGP7350.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 47
I got a reply from the factory with a picture from their 1925 catalog with my press in it. Mine is model PSs72 ( 72mm spindle ) which was built between 1920 and 1935. The Pressforce was given in squaremm (qmm) and thickness in mm of the sheet metal. I don`t have a clue how to interpretate that other than it will flatten yer finger for sure.

My mate, the machinist, made the die upper holder and I made my first set dies to draw out and flatten hot material.

Attachments

• IMGP7532.jpg
    IMGP7532.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 28
Dutch, I saw this a while back and thought of you. Sadly, the owner said it was already sold. :D

Attachments

• IMG_20210203_170504515.jpg
    IMG_20210203_170504515.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 22
Very cool that you've given this cool old machine new life! I love this stuff.

well, that`s what we do, right? bring back to life what others left for dead.

Reminds me of Jonathon W. on You Tube. Check him out.

will do

Dutch, I saw this a while back and thought of you. Sadly, the owner said it was already sold. :D

wow, there`s a boat anchor :eek: Is that a break ,or shear? If you have the time to restore it and a shop large enough to give it a home, that thing is beyond cool [cl
I think I would have to pass.... :rolleyes:

wow, there`s a boat anchor :eek: Is that a break ,or shear? If you have the time to restore it and a shop large enough to give it a home, that thing is beyond cool [cl
I think I would have to pass.... :rolleyes:
I understand. the shipping would be prohibitive. :D :D :D (I think it's a shear.

well, that`s what we do, right? bring back to life what others left for dead.

Yep!

My previous employer (despite being a crappy place to work) has some really cool old lathes and polishing equipment. A lot of the stuff is WWII-era and still kicking. They have two really cool old vertical turret lathes that you fly press reminded me of.

I love old machinery.

Picked up this 1883 ,174kg / 383pound english anvil. Not sure if it`s a keeper yet but it came out pretty nice. :cool:
Looks like it`s under warranty as well... [cl

Attachments

• IMGP7783.jpg
    IMGP7783.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMGP7786.jpg
    IMGP7786.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMGP7788.jpg
    IMGP7788.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMGP7792.jpg
    IMGP7792.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 21
Picked up this 1883 ,174kg / 383pound english anvil. Not sure if it`s a keeper yet but it came out pretty nice. :cool:
Looks like it`s under warranty as well... [cl
What is it about anvils that make them so attractive? I have no need for one, but I still want one.

Yep! I have a similar one, late 1800's ? Don't use it often but when you need it it's great [cl
My daughter would get home from school and just beat the hell out it:eek:

Latest posts

Back