Roadster pickup from leftovers.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Torchie, people keep calling sbc motors overdone, but there is a reason. The one I am currently putting together is so simple and well designed it is a pleasure to put it together. Plus, the parts are cheap, compared to some of these other engines.

If my project rpu wasn't built around the Olds engine I would seriously be considering putting the Chevy in it. But I am already committed to the Olds, so that will be what it gets.

Don

Mind, Jim? No way, thanks for the interest in asking. :)

The main frame rails are 2 x 4 x 3/16 wall tubing. I cut a pie shaped piece 36 inches long x 1 inch out of the front rails and tapered them down from 4 inches in back to 3 inches up front. I just felt that running 4 inch all the way would look too boxy up front, so I made that alteration. Now, the front crossmember is also 2 x 3 x 3/16 to conform to the size the front edges of the tapered rails ended up at.

Hope that is clear.

Don

Here, Jim, I found a couple of pictures that might show it better. The first on is where I marked off the 1 inch x 36 inch pie shaped area to be cut out.

taperingframerail002.jpg

And this picture shows the taper from 4 to 3 inches after welding up the pie shaped cut out. It just makes it look a little more graceful than having 4 inches all the way up IMO.

moreworkonrpuframe008.jpg

Im liking this... ... I was a little concerned about the chunky look using 4" x2" box.. that looks way cool ... crate

Hi Don,

Spent a few hours last night reading almost every single post from beginning to end. I learned a lot and really enjoyed all of your photos and description. I am wondering if you did have any other photos from the start of the project when the doors were being rebuild and the windshield post too? Specifically the build up prior to this photos as shown?

Thank you
Peter

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-29 at 10.36.07 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-12-29 at 10.36.07 AM.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 54
Geesh !!! Sorry Peter, I didn't even see that you had asked me a question a year ago !!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek: I wasn't ignoring you, I just didn't check back on my thread.

My Son owned this body before me, and he actually did all the work on it to the point where it is now (except for the new floor). I will dig out some old photos (if I have them......I had a computer crash and lost a lot of pictures) and post them for you on here.

Sorry again !

Now that Dan's car is done (FINALLY ! [cl) I can get back on my rpu and get it done. Yesterday I picked up the motor mount we built from the powder coater and the front of the engine is bolted in place. Now we just have to build a new rear crossmember and the engine and transmission will be sitting in the frame for (hopefully) the last time.

I'll post some pictures when I get back from Turkey Run.

Don

Thanks, me too ! :D I really don't have all that much left to do, just some body work, paint, finish up the bed, interior, wiring, plumbing, exhaust...........OK, I still have a LOT to do ! :eek:

But the hard things are behind me and I have most of the expensive parts already bought and stored, so, financially it won't be a terrible hit to my wallet.

Turkey Run swap meet should fill in a lot of the missing parts, so when we get back I can really dig into it.

Don

Don, as you know I really want to see this finished! Kind of living vicariously through you until I can work on my roadster pickup.

I was curious, how did your son form the panels for the quarters? Did he use the beltline shape off part of the existing sedan body?

I need quarters for mine, and the reproductions are rather expensive.

It's been so many years that I honestly forget how he did it, but I will ask him and post back when we get home from Turkey Run. But I found this old picture, and it looks like he cut it out of the old body:

I thought he bought some door skins to make them, and he might have, but just not sure. Here is was during the framing process:

Don

It's been so many years that I honestly forget how he did it, but I will ask him and post back when we get home from Turkey Run. But I found this old picture, and it looks like he cut it out of the old body:

I thought he bought some door skins to make them, and he might have, but just not sure. Here is was during the framing process:

Don

Okay, looking at those photos again it's clearer. Thanks!

Today was the first chance I had to start working on the rpu again, and I started to install some of the parts I bought at Daytona last week. I still have to work out the alternator mounting because off the shelf mounts are not made for a tripower setup, but I can make some mounts to make it work.

I still have to install the real transmission, starter, flexplate, etc, but at least most of the motor is done.

Don

Today was the first chance I had to start working on the rpu again, and I started to install some of the parts I bought at Daytona last week. I still have to work out the alternator mounting because off the shelf mounts are not made for a tripower setup, but I can make some mounts to make it work.

I still have to install the real transmission, starter, flexplate, etc, but at least most of the motor is done.

Don

Looks great Don!

Latest posts

Back