1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whew! Do the long periods between updates on this build stress everyone else out too? :D

haha.. sorry to stress you out.. not working on it stresses me out!

Yeah, started in '09 but all most done and still working on it! What a long attention span!

I cant believe how long it has taken.. the initial part of the build seemed to go quickly.. but I was living where the truck is at the time... i should be on my second or third one by now... oh well im going to finish this truck some day

the worst part about these long time lapses between opportunities to work on it is..I walk into the garage.. and say.. hummm what the hell was i working on last time..

Thanks for sticking with me guys!

haha.. sorry to stress you out.. not working on it stresses me out!
I cant believe how long it has taken.. the initial part of the build seemed to go quickly.. but I was living where the truck is at the time... i should be on my second or third one by now... oh well im going to finish this truck some day

the worst part about these long time lapses between opportunities to work on it is..I walk into the garage.. and say.. hummm what the hell was i working on last time..

Thanks for sticking with me guys!

If there was a dead line involved in building these things, I wouldn't
be interested in starting one.

Hang in there but stay after it!!!!

If you're like me, I can walk into the barn and do my best impression of a spin and where I land I'm sure there will be something to do...lol! Keep at it. You've come a long way!

Heck my pile starts in the driveway, sometimes I can't make it into the shop :eek:

Lol! I know it is time to clean the shop when I trip over one pile of part, fall into another pile of parts and drop the pile of parts I was carrying![cl

This is one of my favorite builds that I follow. It is the reason I have not scrapped my 2 ton GMC axles and front frame...[P

Well I got like 4 whole hours to work on it.. and rather than finish the wiring.. i worked on details.. haha

I got some more copper overflow tube when my buddy and I were removing a jeep grill at that junkyard in East troy.. Its all beat up and rough.. but i like the character it had so I went with it.

Made a couple of clamps from some copper flashing

I also nabbed a knob while at the yard, made a new handle for the turn signal switch. I told myself not to use my brake line bender to do it.. but i tempted fate and broke my bender... bummer

I'm really liking the way you mounted the turn signal switch, I think i'll have to steal your idea on that!

Well I got like 4 whole hours to work on it.. and rather than finish the wiring.. i worked on details.. haha

I got some more copper overflow tube when my buddy and I were removing a jeep grill at that junkyard in East troy.. Its all beat up and rough.. but i like the character it had so I went with it.

Made a couple of clamps from some copper flashing

I also nabbed a knob while at the yard, made a new handle for the turn signal switch. I told myself not to use my brake line bender to do it.. but i tempted fate and broke my bender... bummer

Haha i cant blame you for skipping on the wiring. I cant stand doing wiring, to me its such a tedious and annoying task that i have very little patience for.

The turn signal switch looks good though. I like the way you mounted it with the copper.

-Chris

Haha i cant blame you for skipping on the wiring. I cant stand doing wiring, to me its such a tedious and annoying task that i have very little patience for.

The turn signal switch looks good though. I like the way you mounted it with the copper.

-Chris

I see you are running roller chain on the steering. I did a similar thing but found out you just can't get roller chain tight enough so it doesn't have some play in it. I get by because I'm running about 9 degrees of caster but at some point it's all coming back out. However mine was on the pitman side so it's not totally the same.

I see you are running roller chain on the steering. I did a similar thing but found out you just can't get roller chain tight enough so it doesn't have some play in it. I get by because I'm running about 9 degrees of caster but at some point it's all coming back out. However mine was on the pitman side so it's not totally the same.

Definitely not the same, I am not surprised you cant keep your chain tight with it on the pitman arm side. That side will take all the stress and shock loads from the suspension and steering and is probably stretching your chain. Not to mention that you cant ever truly have a tight chain, it is only loaded in the direction of turn unless you have a chain tensioner set up on it...

My chain is merely shifting movement from one shaft to the other shaft of the steering box, aka no loads... the chain is nice and snug, well actually both chains. I have two chains one behind the other as a safety. If it turns out to need a tensioner on it.. I will add one probably along these lines

Attachments

• chain ten.jpg
    chain ten.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 46
That looks pretty cool hanging like that. Do you have knee clearance underneath?

Yeah plenty of clearance, especially with the new arm, it worked with the stock arm but was a little concerned about getting in and out with the stock handle and poking the family jewels.. plus I think the new curve handle looks cool

Heres the stock handle

as always thanks everyone for the kind words

Latest posts

Back