Drewski's 55 F100 build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewski

This build started a long time ago, unfortunately it has been slid to the back burner too many times since I first got it.

In the mid 80's I saw an ad for a 55 F100 in a local paper, so I took a ride over to look at it. The guy took a fancy to my daily driver and we wound up doing some trading.

This is the truck I traded for....I fondly remember these old F1's and F100's from my childhood days living on a farm.

F1001_002.jpg

F1002_001_002.jpg

It had a 302 with a C4 behind it, a sub-frame from who knows what, and badly butchered front sheet metal, the rest of the truck appeared basically sound.

The car I traded was a 75 Vega sedan delivery, powered by a sbc 350 with a 350 turbo, a great running dependable daily driver. Wish I had it back now.

scan0009.jpg

Being a chevy guy, the 302 and C4 came out and was sold. After looking at the sub-frame install, it scared me to know that I had actually driven it home.

Realizing that I had some major work to do before I would be able to drive it, the F100 got shoved to the back of the garage.

Over the next few years, I would work on it as time allowed. I cut out the sub and installed a 1970 chevelle frame clip and chopped the top 6", and a few other custom touches. The unfortunate part of this build is that there were very few pictures made of the modifications that I did. Before digital cameras you know. Gore hadn't invented the internet yet and I was still playing with Commodore 64 computers.(remember them?) We did make a video of the top chop but that tape is still missing in action.

I stripped all the paint off the truck and it was basically sound with exception of normal rusted out places like cab corners. The front fenders were still questionable.

scan0006.jpg

I had a .030 over 400 sbc, with 350 turbo that I had built for another project, so I decided to use it in this truck instead.

AndrewCheckingEngine.jpg

I'll post more photos and info until I get it up to present date over the next few days.

Drewski

55 F100 build cont'd.

I used Patriot clipster headers which cleared the steering without any problems.

2007024.jpg

Fabricated a rad support from some scrap stainless that I had left over from another project. Also built the tilt mechanism that will support the front end. I had decided to use a one piece glass front end, since the original metal was in such bad shape.

July08051.jpg

July08050.jpg

buildpics017.jpg

Drewski

55 F100 build-bed construction

I decided early on that the bed that came on the truck was too rough to use. After pricing new reproduction beds, I decided that I could probably build it myself for less money.(More effort, but cheaper)

Quick run to my metal supplier got me 2 4x8 sheets of 14 ga steel, a length of 2x2 14 ga, 1x2 14 ga, 1x1 14 ga, and length of 1 1/8" dia tubing. Around $200 or so for the steel.(before the big price increases we saw last year)

I decided what dimensions I wanted to use, cut out the side panels, and had a local sheet metal shop bend the angles for me. Since I was building the bed from scratch, I decided to incorporate all the custom touches that were floating around in my head.

A little mock up after getting the bed sides back from the sheet metal shop.

scan0008.jpg

scan0004.jpg

I welded up a framework for the floor using the 1 inch square tubing and welded the sides to the framework. I welded the 1 1/8" tubing to the bed sides to create the roll at the top. For the front of the bed, I welded up a framework that has a 1x2 joining the bedsides at the top and is open in the area below. I've got a piece of stainless that will fit inside the framework. I might even polish it.....

2007023.jpg

I try to roll the truck outside whenever possible so that I can back off and look at it from a distance.

2007029.jpg

In this photo, I've slipped a pair of 200S American wheels on the front. I have 2 8x15's for the front and 2 10x15's for the rear that I plan on running on it when it's street worthy. The cragars have been used as my rollers for build projects since the 70's.

IMG_0147.jpg

Cont'd later..........

Drewski

Keep that on the front burner this time.

Looks like a good build.

Thanks, I've got a little more time on my hands these days since I retired. No money, but lots of time.

I guess as long as I take care of the honey-do list for the wife, I'm free to work on my truck. If I don't take on any more projects, maybe I'll make it to the street this time. Hard to do though, just ran across a nice 31 ford sedan on craigslist[ddev

Drewski

Sharp lookin' truck! Always loved those fat F-100's. And a flip front end just seems to be a "natural" on them. I guess that comes from growing up on a diet of '70's and '80's issues of Truckin' magazine...

Those daisy spokes will look WICKED cool on there too, man. Don't see too many use 'em, dunno why...[S

Keep us updated! Welcome to RRR!:cool:

Regards,
Shea:)

edit: P.S. Diggin' on the Vega, too! My first car was a '77 hatch which I stuffed full of '69 327 and TH350... I miss that, too!

Last edited:
Very nice truck great job on the bed, I like the Crager's better. What kind of stance for the truck are you looking at?

Haven't made a decision on final stance on the truck. I'm currently finishing up a trailer mounted engine test stand that I plan to be able to pull with the F100. I don't know what the tongue weight is going to be, so that may dictate how high the rear will sit. Got to figure out how to put a hitch on it that can't be seen when not being used.

EngineTestStandTrailer012-1.jpg

In this photo, I've temporarily hung the fenders, grille, engine in place, etc. and this is the height that it sits at. Front may still be a little high, but I'll wait until all the weight is on it before I try to change it.

IMG_02102.jpg

Drewski

55 F100 build-bed construction cont'd

The next part that I went to work on was a styling detail that I wanted at the rear of the bed. I intend to build a roll pan that will house the tail lights and recessed license plate mount. I wanted the roll pan to drop down even with the bottom of the rear fenders. I used 2x2 for the stake pockets. At the rear of the bed I made the pockets continue down and curve forward to the fender.

Truck10-1.jpg

Truck121.jpg

I tucked this extension right up to the fender with only a small gap

Truck16.jpg

IMG_2007.jpg

In this photo, I have welded on the flange for the roll pan and closed the end of the bed roll. I left the hole in the bed roll for a light.

IMG_2008-1.jpg

Drewski

those are some nice details on the bed.. that will really add to the look.. great fab work man

55 F100 build-bed construction cont'd

Moving along with this build, I decided early on that I might someday run some really wide wheels and tires, so I constructed small tubs from a trailer fender cut in half with a skirt welded to the inside of each.

Tubs tacked in in this photo

IMG_02031.jpg

Since I'm going to put lights in the ends of the bed roll, I needed a way to get the wires out of the tubing without it being seen.

My solution at the front of the bed.....

IMG_2067.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

I also closed the lower front stake pockets with a radius, sorry no photo on this.

Moving on to the roll pan in my next set of photos............

Thanks to all for the positive comments!!

55 F100 build-rear roll pan fab.

When I started building the roll pan for my bed, I knew I wanted the license plate recessed and that was about it. I rolled out 2 pans thinking the first one would wind up in the scrap pile. Didn't happen, first pan was a little rough but not bad enough to scrap.

January2008125.jpg

January2008001.jpg

FabricationphotosofF100006-1.jpg

FabricationphotosofF100008.jpg

IMG_0893-1.jpg

Since I've got two pans and they bolt on, I guess I'll mount up some different lights in the 2nd pan and maybe switch them out when I get tired of the existing setup.

Drewski

Latest posts

Back