Drewski's 55 F100 build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
top notch craftsmanship there, Drewski! that is probably the nicest bed-work i have seen.....looks really well planned and well executed![cl [cl

i think it'll look real good cruising the pigeon forge Ford show.....:D

keep up the good work-and posting it, too[;)

HRP

Thanks.....

Thanks guys!! I appreciate all the positive feedback. I enjoy the fabrication portion of a build just about as much as driving it. I don't have an unlimited budget, so I always try to work with what I have on hand or can trade for. The only things that I splurge on would be my tools. My air compressor, welders, and hand tools allow me to build things that I would not otherwise ever be able to afford. I've always tended to stray away from stock builds. The purist builders tend to put me to sleep. How many stock chevelles, camaros, or mustangs can you look at before you get a little bored. Don't get me wrong, I've had my share of big block, 4 speed muscle cars, but I always had the urge to cut em up and make them different. So being retired and having customizing in my blood, I go to the shop each day thinking about what I might do today that is just a "little" different. I guess thats what draws me to the rat rods or builder cars, you guys are not afraid to step across the line with your rides.

I've really enjoyed looking through all of the builds that you guys have posted. It's better than going to a car show to me. Keep on posting them!![P

Drewski

55 F100 build-bed construction cont'd

Now that I've got the bed in primer, I guess I'll need a tailgate. Frame constructed with1 1/4" tubing and 1x2. Skinned in 16 ga.

buildpics035.jpg

buildpics048.jpg

buildpics068.jpg

Tailgatefabrication001.jpg

Tailgatefabrication005.jpg

Drewski

Drewski,
Truck's lookin' really awesome! Keep up the good work & it'll be burnin' asphalt in no time!!! [P Love that tailgate!

BoB

Now that I've got a tailgate, I needed a high tech tailgate latch. I decided to use a latching system that we saw used in the 80's. It's simple, works great and even better, it's cheap. Seat belt latches out of late 70-80's fords. I wanted to be able to just slam the gate shut and it would be positioned and latched.

buildpics098.jpg

buildpics094.jpg

buildpics101.jpg

buildpics102.jpg

buildpics099.jpg

Drewski

After a lot of welding and grinding, I shot the tailgate in epoxy primer and started blending the character lines and smoothing out the rough spots with magic dent eraser.

buildpics105.jpg

buildpics106.jpg

buildpics110.jpg

Sorry for the poor photos .

Drewski

Awesome work on your truck. Thanks for taking so much time in the details of your build. I really like the tailgate latches. Might be the answer for my door latches. Truck looks killer. Thanks again and the detail is right on.

Awesome man. I think the seatbelt-gate latches are my favorite part so far :D

Keep it up! I look forward to more progression pics!

Me too, I like the seat belt latches. Creativity at it's best and I'll bet they hold better than the Stock GM or Ford do, at least the ones on my 93 Chevy![cl.....keep up the good work and we love the pic show!....CR:D

Im going to have to agree man.. the seat belt latch idea is awesome..and i cant say i have ever seen it done... keep it up

The tailgate/hinge fab looks great. [cl

What kind of clearance do you gave to the bead sides...the same as the hinge plate thickness? are there washers between the gate and the hinge to keep it from chipping paint?

I had the same thought CORPO, something so obvious but I would never have thought of it. We use them for window nets in racecars all the time but nothing like that. Truck is absolutely killer, keep up the good work. Can't wait for the finished product.

The tailgate/hinge fab looks great. [cl

What kind of clearance do you gave to the bead sides...the same as the hinge plate thickness? are there washers between the gate and the hinge to keep it from chipping paint?

I've got some nylon washers that will go between the gate and the hinge. They're very thin, but will protect the paint.(if it ever gets out of primer) My original intentions were to build the hinge out of stainless so that there would be no need for paint on them. I may do that later on.

The gap between the tailgate and bed is about the thickness of a paint paddle. That has always been what I gauge my gaps at. Scientific huh?

Tailgatefabrication005.jpg

Tailgatefabrication006.jpg

Drewski

Tail lights for roll pan

While posting the roll pan construction photos, I kinda passed over the tail light choice. I had a tough time deciding what kind of tail lights I wanted to use. I wanted the bullet shaped lights sort of like a 59 caddy but not so long. I spent a lot of time walking salvage yards and found absolutely nothing that I thought would work. Lights in newer model cars are not very interesting to me, so I had to widen my search. Next I visited a Kenworth dealer, which had a custom accessory show room. Now if you're interested in an assortment of lights you need to check out one of these places. I found these glass lenses with stainless bezels.......................I understand they are cab clearance lights

FabricationphotosofF100013.jpg

Rolled some recessed buckets................

FabricationphotosofF100011.jpg

And welded them into one of the roll pans.

FabricationphotosofF100006-1.jpg

I left the buckets sticking out a little since I wanted to form a lip around each.

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

Once I get everything molded in, I think they will look ok. I still haven't decided what kind of lights to put in the second pan.

Drewski

Latest posts

Back