'65 Rover Half Cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So many nuts and bolts. This thing is built like an erector set. The frame is 3" by 6" but only .090" wall thickness. Definitely rusted through in the rear. Some of the outriggers that hold the body will need to be replaced too. The drive line & suspension are just the opposite of the flimsy body; super heavy duty. Got the front suspension, floor pans, seat risers and rockers off. The box is loose and will come off tomorrow when help comes over.
I'm afraid the whole driveline and suspension will be sold for scrap and no one around here is restoring thees things and the junk is too heavy to ship.
Sorry 66CCm when I get done the only remaining European content will be the body and frame rails

A little rust repair needed in the rear frame sections and the outriggers that pick up the corners of the box. Some of the forward outriggers will need to be replaced too.

I wanted to get the car dismantled before the cold and snow arrives. I'll set it aside for a bit while I get back on the Reo and do the engine swap in the dragster. Lots of projects but it keeps the interest up moving from one to another.

A little rust repair needed in the rear frame sections and the outriggers that pick up the corners of the box. Some of the forward outriggers will need to be replaced too.

Wow :eek: Just rust some repairs needed :D

It'll be all worth it when you're done. Thanks for the updates.

It took a while but it is finally totally disassembled. I've been trimming some of the brackets, etc. off the frame. Fun using the cutting torch on greasy metal. It appears I'll need to replace the whole back half of the frame.

Wednesday I'll haul all the driveline and suspension parts to the scrap metal yard and stash all the good stuff til I start the build.

Thinking of getting steel toed shoes, after having the gas tank fall on my foot while I was removing it. I used bad language.

Wow you sure didn't waste any time getting this thing stripped. I don't blame you about the bad language after the fuel tank fell on the your foot, I would've too lol.

I hauled all the driveline and suspension parts to the scrap metal yard today. Here's pretty good shot of the frame. It is interesting in that each frame rail is made of four plates welded into a box section. It is 3" by 5 1/2" but only .090" wall. There is rust through in a number of places. Haven't quite figured out how I will patch it but I'm getting a bunch of 1/8" by 6" and 1/8" by 3" flat stock tomorrow. The frame will go to Jerry the Sandblaster next week. Then I'll be able to determine where all the thin spots are.
If anyone is experienced in bumping out dents in thin, soft aluminum body panels, I could use advice.

Best Laid Plans...

Today, while cutting needless brackets off the original Rover frame, I realized the frame isn't worth saving. Too many rust throughs and it appears to be very thin in many spots.

It was going to cost $200 to get it sandblasted and probably $100 in metal to do all the patching.

I can get 3 24' sticks of 2" by 4" rectangular tube for a little under $300 so it is a no-brainer to build a new frame.

Only problem is it will take quite a bit of time. Everything is set aside for now. Will get back on it sometime this winter, after the dragster changes are completed.

I was wondering myself why you wouldn't just build a new frame but, I trusted your judgement since its in front of you lol.

Bob, you are definitely not afraid to jump into a project - make that uuhh - how many have you got going at once ?? [S.
Boy that frame was crispy - much better to make your own and easier to get it in the weeds. Typical British construction on 'Rovers with all the bolted together parts, like they kept adding as things as afterthoughts as they built it - old Brit bikes are the same...
I'm sure you'll end up with another kool ride when it's done [cl[cl

Thanks for the support fellas. The only concern is to get the body mounting points correct on the new frame. I'll have the original frame along side for a reference.

Currently, I'm assembling the Reo and changing the dragster from a slant 6 to a 300 Ford 6 and making a few other changes to it. The Reo will take a while but the dragster should only take a month. Then I can get back on the Rover.

I've got some really cool parts for a Hupmobile roadster.... Wish I was 42 instead of 72.

Latest posts

Back