1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beastie

This is one that makes me want to do a dually build. It just looks mean and that's a good thing.

Being so new to all this I still am trying to figure out what to use for a base and a donor if I need to. I've seen others with the later size wheels and it just doesn't have the same appeal as the bigger ones. A new set of 19.5" is waaay to much $$$ for me to consider.
I did find a 41 Chevy 1 ton that may work.

Keep up the good work and keep the pics posted.

Thanks guys on the complements... i appreciate it this is my first build.... started making my rear axle brackets and i made all my 4 link components for both the front and the rear.... both will have pan hard bars as well.... just got all my heim joints as well .. probably will be ordering up my bags next week as well as start to put the frame back together.. its going to be a ton of welding i do still need to make my front cross member...

A seriously cool build!!! I'm convinced that I want to use a set of big rims like your front ones on my 51 F1 project.
You know what size rims they are??

both the front and the rear are the 20" rims, the fronts are original to the truck, the rears are aftermarket wider rims from the late 30's ....there are some things to consider if you want to run them, mostly that the tires are very expensive, they are tube tires and many places wont mount these old rims they need to be mounted in a cage... and one last thing they are pretty heavy so my trucks not going to be a speed demon, more of a fun cruiser...

I wouldn't think they would be hard to find in TN....

I'm also wanting to do a front axle set up similar to yours but without the bags too. Again, I'm finding out that they are extremely hard to find for whatever reason????

Im not sure what else u are looking for.. the axle?

This is one that makes me want to do a dually build. It just looks mean and that's a good thing.

Being so new to all this I still am trying to figure out what to use for a base and a donor if I need to. I've seen others with the later size wheels and it just doesn't have the same appeal as the bigger ones. A new set of 19.5" is waaay to much $$$ for me to consider.
I did find a 41 Chevy 1 ton that may work.

Keep up the good work and keep the pics posted.

Yeah the modern wheels don't look right to me ... thats why i have chosen to try and work out all the problems with running these old rims.... My biggest problem is going to trying to sort out a rear axle, the ratios on the old 2 speed that is in my truck wouldn't allow me to get up to high way speeds.. and that's no good

I have a crazy plan for my axle so we will see if it works, but i dont see why it wont... so stay tuned...

anyway guys thanks for checkin out the build.. i know.. pictures.. they are coming.. im tired and lazy tonight...

Thanks a bunch for the info Corpo! I'm just trying to formulate some ideas and the big rim/tire combination is so darn cool!!! Every example I've ever seen used on a rat rod, I've liked alot! The problem is finding parts that will work and safety is a major factor as well. I really don't like the idea of using the two piece rims just because of the inherent danger built into them. I know there has to be one piece large 20" + vintage rims out there. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part, I really don't know?? The axle and other components are a issue too. I'm thinking maybe a 48 - 51 Ford F4 or F5 might be a good donor for these parts? We'll see? I wish there was more information out there about some of the trucks I've seen pictures of posted on here and elsewhere that have these big work horse style tire set ups! Some of these guys seem very protective of their builds and how they accomplished the look of some of these trucks. You never see any write ups or other info posted about them. Just pictures. Go figure???

You won't believe this but as luck would have it, the rat rod gods have graced me with their presence once again. Just as I was sitting here writing this I got a phone call from a friend of mine. Long story short, after some bartering over some labor he needs done, he's agreed to give me a complete frame and running gear from a 51 Ford F4 truck! Which means I have the beginnings of what I need to get started on MY 51 F1 RPU. I'm so stoked!!!

Thunder

Thunder.. there are some vintage 1 piece 20's, i saw a set of six one time, they are from the 40's which means they might be wider than what you are looking for... they are pretty rare as they were aftermarket rims. The guy who had them knew what he had, he was asking 2,000 for them... good luck on your hunt and congrats on getting your frame

Some updates...

Been taking my time getting all the cuts just right and dressing all the edges hopefully soon i will start welding it back together, I still have some new cross members to make and some spots in the frame to straighten out.. then box the whole thing

Here are some more of my front end components coming together.. as well as some of the rear stuff

IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0727.jpg

REAR
IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

Hey guys/gals

some updates, the rear of the frame is welded up still have temporary cross members in there though, the front section is in progress the back of the kick up is tacked the front frame rails have the new additional taper still have to get the cuts just right... i only have a 220 tig so i have to get the cuts nice and close to weld them up.

been working on the front suspension components, welded up all the brackets, still have a few more pieces to make, im going to wrap the brackets to give them more strength and the i beam look...

I also decided to double up the thickness on the rear section of the brackets, this eliminates any need for any washers as well as added a bunch of strength.... took a while to get them welded and blended....

IMG_0775-1.jpg

Here you can see the taper of the frame rails, the center section is the original taper the front has the additional taper

IMG_0780-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the complements i appreciate them...

Gastrick: I sure hope I dont have problems... im kinda making this up as I go this is my first build.... If you have any suggestions im listening... i dont really know where else i can put the steering, Is it not possible to have good steering with a front mounted tie rod?

Bonehead: Yep she will get boxed, im not really looking forward to that.. its going to be time consuming, i want to make all my permanent cross members and weld them to the outside wall then box around them so that they are welded on both surfaces for additional strength... Still at this point also planing on doing some nice hole cut outs, but after i spend hours boxing the frame im sure its going to be tough cutting big holes in all my hard work but... we will see when i get there

Thanks again guys

One more thing,

Im thinking about sectioning the center of the frame where it is 7" high, so that it looks like the z's come right out of the cab. Basically im thinking about cutting right down the center and taking the top from the one side and welding it to the bottom of the opposite side, Ending up with 3.5 tall frame under the cab.

I dont think this will be an issue, my old man thinks its a bad idea, what do you guys think? I will be adding an X member under the cab, and i could also run an additional piece of steel inside the frame if you guys think i need it.

Opinions?

Thanks, Guys

One more thing,

Im thinking about sectioning the center of the frame where it is 7" high, so that it looks like the z's come right out of the cab. Basically im thinking about cutting right down the center and taking the top from the one side and welding it to the bottom of the opposite side, Ending up with 3.5 tall frame under the cab.

I dont think this will be an issue, my old man thinks its a bad idea, what do you guys think? I will be adding an X member under the cab, and i could also run an additional piece of steel inside the frame if you guys think i need it.

Opinions?

Thanks, Guys

With that heavy of a wheel and tire combo, there will be some serious forces exerted when you hit a bump at speed or hit the brakes hard. I think going to 3.5 is asking for flex issues. I would stay at least six inches tall (fully boxed).

Latest posts

Back