Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Sleepers

Sleepers If you hve a sleeper... let's see it!!!

Old 06-15-2017, 05:14 PM
Older and more rusted every day!

Default New 'Sleepers' section!

Back in the day... I was *really* into sleepers! I loved building a car that looked like a pile but could beat most cars on the street. I LOVED the look on guy's faces at the next light after I smoked their baby to their great surprise! It probably also had a lot to do with the fact I usually spent all my money on a hot engine & never had enough left over for a real paint job! If you have one now or pictures of your old sleeper... please share!

BoB

RRR on Facebook
RRR on Twitter
Wanted: Ratty '35 Olds coupe!
Old 06-15-2017, 10:35 PM
He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!

Good idea! I used to work for guy that was a race driver on our roundy round tracks here when I was younger. He had a 70 Ranchero with a stock brown color, kinda bland looking. He stripped the car of all trim and made it look just plain jane then added 289 emblems to the sides. He was actually running a hot 429/4 speed under the hood and took real pleasure from smoking those guys that thought they had runners...wish I had a pic , sorry!
Old 06-16-2017, 08:53 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallfoot View Post
Good idea! I used to work for guy that was a race driver on our roundy round tracks here when I was younger. He had a 70 Ranchero with a stock brown color, kinda bland looking. He stripped the car of all trim and made it look just plain jane then added 289 emblems to the sides. He was actually running a hot 429/4 speed under the hood and took real pleasure from smoking those guys that thought they had runners...wish I had a pic , sorry!
A friend of my brother used to run a 70-71 4 door sedan Ford Torino with that same set up smallfoot. Blackwall tires. Dog dish hubcaps. S*** Brindle brown paint job.....LOL
Too bad we didn't have digital cameras back then.
Torchie
Old 06-16-2017, 10:40 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

In the late 50s, early 60s, my folks had a 56 Ford Country Sedan, Red and White fourdoor wagon. It had the T-Bird 292-4V with a Ford-O-Matic. I could take a lot of similar vintage Chevys that were much prettier.

The thing about a '39 Ford pick-up is that that ugly grille kinda' grows on ya' after a while.

Not taking anything too seriously.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:23 PM
The Hot Rod Cop

How old does it have to be? my current sleeper is only 26 years old...

"people riding so many scooters on the country mountain roads it looks like Thailand." Yodaforce

"all the ones I find around here are as solid as tin foil....." Neverdone

Giffins Performance custom CNC plasma cutting, home of the LSX swaps!

Turbo Datsun Build

52 COE Ramp Truck Build

1950 GMC Build
Old 06-23-2017, 11:25 PM
Older and more rusted every day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfg455 View Post
How old does it have to be? my current sleeper is only 26 years old...
A sleeper is a sleeper!

BoB

RRR on Facebook
RRR on Twitter
Wanted: Ratty '35 Olds coupe!
Old 06-29-2017, 10:07 PM
Still crazy after all these years!

In 1958-59 we had a car club called the Sleepers. Instead of metal plaques we had window stickers like the one pictured. We were high school kids with no money and were lucky to have beaters. But we all dreamed of the day when we could have a sleeper.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:30 AM

Not mine but in late 80s old man had a 69 FD Vauxhall Victor ( Google image it) 2000 badges 13x5 mags with 165/70s hiding a very healthy SBC and powerglide. Even a new GSXR750 at the time couldn't match it. I remember it going off a 90mph speedo in one place with no brakes. I would love to own my own one but very very rare over here now

Life is what you make it, in my case, the rougher the better
Old 07-25-2017, 09:19 AM

Default old one

Back in the early 60's My twin brother and I were taking an auto body class at college. a buddy;s little brother wrecked the front end on his 56 Ford 2 door. Since the car was still drivable we had to take it home each night, The car had a real 57 thunderbird 312 that came from the factory with the Isky cam and 2 '4's/ The kid paid for the engine when the wrecker bid on the car but when they raised the bird hood he demanded another $75 for the 2 4's. My buddy didn't have the extra cash so the wrecker gave him a stock 4 barrel manifold and gaskets and let him find a carb. HE took a carter AFB off a 392 hemi.
our college roomates wanted to see how fast it was. WE did not have the front fenders or hood on and the aprons were holding the rad support in place. WE drove on some back roads and saw a 58 and 59 chevy line up side by side. they waved us to go by but we said we wanted to watch the race. I lined up behind them. and passed both of them . I had to slow down because the fan was tinging on the radiator, WE stopped and they looked at the engine . dirty black valve covers and the air cleaner said 272 Cu in 145 horsepower. Later when working in las vegas we found a factory 2 -4 setup for $ 75.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:45 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

1981 Ford Granada. I'm thinking this one might be in the sleeper category. Sure had a lot of fun with this car .... recall one young lady coming up and telling me "My Grandpa had on just like that .. but it didn't go like that!" Still have the car .. but the good power train (408 stroker, etc) isn't in it anymore. I do have a 460 that I think would look pretty good under the hood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grenada.jpg (94.2 KB, 21 views)