Bonehead is back to work

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P2100100.jpg

P2100101.jpg

P2100104.jpg

P2100105.jpg

P2100106.jpg

Have you done dynamic stress calculations on it? I'm assuming this is gonna have a big motor in it, and I gotta wonder how well it will all take the stress of a good throttle punch front end lift and drop. I'd really want to but the design through a CAD stress analyzing program - partly out of simple curiosity.

I am a shade tree engineer. I usually calculate in my head, based on common sense, and past experience. I am toying with the idea of a small plate gusset inside the curves on the front. The rest of the chassis is , and or will be very strong. And you know it is going to be a BIG motor. However a 472 is one of the lighter big blocks.

What I see are foot long holes in your frame rails with no trussing. I think the area indicated below (red) will try to buckle under the torque of acceleration when the front lifts. Also, I gotta wonder how the curved area will handle stress without an extra beam (blue) - although I suppose the acceleration stress is pushed through the 4-link connections and bypasses that area.

You know how it works on RRR, if you see something, you say something.

Attachments

• P2100109a.jpg
    P2100109a.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 167
Sure Sam, Lets talk about what it takes to bend 1.75X .25 wall HREW tubing. Which is what all the straight tube in this frame is. Then after that lets talk about a double "ladder" type frame made with the same tube.
HREW Tensile Stength = 40,000 psi
Diameter (in) Thickness (in) ID (in) Cross Sect. Area (in^2) Tensile Strength (lbs) Weight (lb/ft)
1.75 0.120 1.51 0.61 24,579 2.089 lb
I couldn't find the numbers for .25 wall.

We should probably compare it to 2x4 rectangular tube.

While you are playing with those numbers, I'll post up a bracket for the hairpins.
I cut out some 3/8 plate, added some details, and made my mounts for the hairpins.
You will probably see a theme start coming out in the build.
P2110113.jpg

P2110115.jpg

P2110123.jpg

Well... shoot! Didn't mean to bust your nads on that BH. If you say it's good then I don't even have a knife to bring to that gun fight.

Those mounts are mighty fancy. Tripper is gonna want some to go with his skulls when he sees this!

Sure Sam, Lets talk about what it takes to bend 1.75X .25 wall HREW tubing. Which is what all the straight tube in this frame is. Then after that lets talk about a double "ladder" type frame made with the same tube.
HREW Tensile Stength = 40,000 psi
Diameter (in) Thickness (in) ID (in) Cross Sect. Area (in^2) Tensile Strength (lbs) Weight (lb/ft)
1.75 0.120 1.51 0.61 24,579 2.089 lb
I couldn't find the numbers for .25 wall.

We should probably compare it to 2x4 rectangular tube.

That chassis isn't going to bend or flex very much for that matter that is a double wall tube frame extreemely strong , they use these in race cars and offroad use and the take alot of punishment.

You should call this biuld the punisher with them gunns an all , looks great i love when poeple think out of the box.

Set up with no suspension in the back yet, so it will come up a little in the rear. That is, the back of the cab will come down, and the frame will come up.
P2120125.jpg

i am liking the creativity and as others have said "out of the box thinking"

my 9 year old has now decided.... mags n slicks for the back of ours instead of duals..... yeah we change our minds alot around here...

loving the "six guns" as well...

Latest posts

Back