1936 Diamond T with 6BT cummins

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been working diligently on the windshields. Well, one of them anyhow. The passenger side windshield I had installed the new rubber seal a while back, but was waiting to install the windshield on the truck until we had paint around the openings. Figuring out how those darn hinges went was a puzzle. I had no previous pics, had completely disassembled them to paint them, and it was all a guessing game in the beginning. I finally came up with this:

I sent the picture to a couple of my ebay Diamond T customers and I got it RIGHT! Woohoo! Getting those top hinge bolts secured was a complete PIA! Now, I have to finish the driver side (needs the new rubber seal installed first). Not looking forward to it!!!

I also got the window garnish molding, the door panel, and the door pull (custom ordered from Etsy) installed on the drivers door. I would love some sort of detail added to the door panel at some point.

I have gotten a few new goodies for the interior lately - a new dome light. I fabricated up a mount and Brian installed/wired it in. And, it works with a twist of the headlight switch! I didn't want the same oval one everybody uses in their hot rods, so I went with a round marine light (LED so hopefully will never burn out!)

We also got a new GPS speedometer. Now, to figure out where to mount the antenna.....

I put the antenna inboard on the dash. No signal problems.
awesome looking light btw :cool:

thanks, that is what I would like to do too... I do plan to call Autometer questions helpline today and ask. My husband is talking about mounting it outside behind the cab somewhere, but I am not a fan of that. I want to hide as much of the wiring as possible! (inside!)

no sure if there`s much difference but I used a Speedhut set up

called Autometer (ahem, they called me ''sir'' :confused:) and I just have to make sure it has a clear view of the sky. Outside of the cab is best, flat surface. Dash is fine as long as no obstructions.

That gauge... I am happy my husband is dealing with, haha. Our dash we made custom for the 3 1/8'' speedo and tach - and then the GPS speedo came and it is 3 3/8''. UGH.

Thank heavens I wasn't the one who had to trim off 1/8'' all the way around that hole with steel/veneer/epoxy glaze layers.....
he did last night though and it turned out good. One tiny nick in the epoxy, but no biggie :)

Ma'am, You have one pretty truck going here. :D
thanks Skip! It definitely is a labor-of-love! Things are starting to come together on it and it is getting very exciting to see the progress - so much that I can't sleep at night, haha!

although we worked on the Diamond T pretty much all weekend, we didn't feel like we got much accomplished. Brian gets frustrated much easier than I do. I have WAY more patience :D

But, we got the plugs in the mail for the gauges (I think they are coated in gold for their price tag!) and Brian started working on the wiring for them - doing what he could do on the bench, then will move the plugs to the truck to wire the individual power supplies. He is crimping and soldering all the joints (and heat shrink tube on everything possible).

We also got the rear window satety glass installed.

I started on adding the wood necessary to install a headliner too - something this truck never had! I plan to do some diamond stitching panels in the headliner (and diamond tuck with buttons on the back 'wall' like a semi-truck)

I am very excited to get started on the upholstery. I forgot that we got the second windshield installed this weekend too - it went MUCH more smoothly after the trial-and-error from installing the second one. They feel like they fit a bit too snug with the new gaskets so there will be plenty of tension, but the drivers side one feels like it binds a little, ugh. They will probably mostly just be left closed anyhow.
I got the layout of the diamond stitching panels drawn on the headliner board. It is an optical illusion from the angle of the picture, but this is actually a tapered piece. It follows the taper of the cab. Next time I post, hopefully it is of a stitched headliner ready to install!

I got a few little things checked off the to-do list this weekend. I covered the console and lined the sides of the cubby with some diamond-stitched panels I made.
37715456211_38c8be87c9_c.jpg

Now I wish we would have wrapped the dash extension/drop we made!
37010101324_6e40db8a0c_c.jpg

got the trans tunnel access panel screwed down (used a bead sealer to seal it) and screwed down the original Dodge shifter boot as well (it goes under the console, but is needed to keep out the exhaust gases - I have a second boot on order for the auxiliary trans)
23864609898_8db19e6b25_c.jpg

Brian got the tach wire, alternator power wire, and the relay wiring for the cooling fan buttoned up
37687598202_b74a33cd9a_c.jpg

Oh, and I did a little whittling on the port on the side of the heater box to accept a bezel for the defroster - that was something I was worried about and glad that it wasn't as big of a deal as I had feared!
23866998818_d6f805ff54_c.jpg

Our dog, Lucy, decided she wanted to go for a ride. Me too Lucy, me too.
37464129950_551315b1e5_c.jpg

I have been working on getting ready to install headliner....
I hope this isn't too ambitious, but I plan to stitch diamond panels in the headliner. Here is a layout of the design I came up with:
37648563612_0de6423507_c.jpg

I think we decided to do diamond-tuck door panels (we had already planned diamond-tuck for the back wall.). I think diamond tuck kick panels on the cowl too - and probably diamond stitch kick panels for the sides of the console (there isn't very much room on the drivers side and the diamond-tuck would take up too much room on the gas pedal area).

I think I am going to get this carpet kit: http://www.stockinteriors.com/streetrodkit.asp?Itemid=4670&MakeId=40&ModelId=428 Hhopefully I can get a second heel pad for the kick panel on the console/trans tunnel.

and I am following this tutorial for the headliner: http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/headliner-installation.html (originally on jalopy journal ''HAMB'')

We have been working less on the Diamond T now that summer is over - it is not nearly as fun to work on it when it's cold and rainy out (we don't have a shop to work on it, so it is being done on the back patio)

We did get some Mighty Motors for wipers - what an ordeal to get them installed though. They come with a bezel blank that you have to cut to fit the cab where the shaft comes through. Of course it is a rounded body line there for this truck. It couldn't be simple, could it? Brian worked on these and got the wipers ready for final install/sealant.
37789905586_da99acde32_c.jpg

37789912356_498e3dcced_c.jpg

37128196324_c648248fc1_c.jpg

meanwhile, I worked on this. It still needs buttons (I guess I have to break down and buy a button machine/press, booo). It has the metal clips in the backer that will snap into holes in the door panel - but that means I have TO DRILL HOLES in my door panels! EEEEK!
37848489062_757924459d_c.jpg

I am impressed with your upholstery work. Do you have a commercial upholstery sewing machine, or are you using something else?

I am impressed with your upholstery work. Do you have a commercial upholstery sewing machine, or are you using something else?

I WISH I had an industrial machine. I have been watching Craigslist for one, but nothing has come up that I could afford. This was done on my domestic sewing machine though. It is a Pfaff electronic machine. Some of the stitching isn't as tight as I'd like, but I really didn't want to mess with tension on my bobbin since I do so much 'other' sewing on it (I quilt and I sew paintball hats I sell on ebay). I had planned to use my old Singer 15-40 as it is a heavy duty domestic machine (from 1940), but my Pfaff has a walking foot, which helps a lot. I have a TON of stitching to do on the headliner, which I will do on the Pfaff - and then it will have to be stitched to the panelboard after - and I think I will use the Singer to do that (so I don't risk throwing the timing off on my Pfaff).

I WISH I had an industrial machine. I have been watching Craigslist for one, but nothing has come up that I could afford. This was done on my domestic sewing machine though. It is a Pfaff electronic machine. Some of the stitching isn't as tight as I'd like, but I really didn't want to mess with tension on my bobbin since I do so much 'other' sewing on it (I quilt and I sew paintball hats I sell on ebay). I had planned to use my old Singer 15-40 as it is a heavy duty domestic machine (from 1940), but my Pfaff has a walking foot, which helps a lot. I have a TON of stitching to do on the headliner, which I will do on the Pfaff - and then it will have to be stitched to the panelboard after - and I think I will use the Singer to do that (so I don't risk throwing the timing off on my Pfaff).
Thank you for the information. :) I have a 1938 Singer that I have successfully done a bit of leather work with. I may give it a try if I decide to make some fancy interior panels.

Thank you for the information. :) I have a 1938 Singer that I have successfully done a bit of leather work with. I may give it a try if I decide to make some fancy interior panels.

Yes, I have sewn leather on my Singer, but my Pfaff will not sew it. I am using faux leather (luxury vinyl I guess, haha) - I might one day redo the panels in leather though, depending on how the faux stuff holds up. Originally I had wanted to do some interior in some buckskins I inherited from my grandpa - but the color on them is just not appealing next to the interior paint colors.

Our Singers are probably the same model, they were very popular at that time. My great Aunt bought the one I have brand new so I am only the second owner :)

Latest posts

Back