36 Ford Bobber Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't get much work done on the actual build over the last few days but I did get most of the rotten wood from the box that isn't of any use hauled to the dump and I also got the 36 chassis and running gear sold and out of my driveway. So it was 1 day short of 2 weeks from delivery to having the stuff I want to keep in my garage and having the driveway clear. Not too bad for really only being able to work an hour a night on it other than one 3 hour afternoon with some buddies!:)

I've just been stripping the cab this week. I'm trying to get it ready to pressure wash and get everything out so that I can start planning the chop. I have to say that I am tired of taking flat blade screws out!

I did build a basic cart for the cab so that I can roll it around better to work on. I tried to set it up such that it's roughly at the ride height that I want too. That will help with mock up. The rails of the cart should also be in my mockup of the real frame under the cab.

I'm 95% sure that I don't want to channel this cab at all. Since the cab itself swoops down a lot in the back, you only see the frame rails for about the front foot. That will help a lot with inside room, especially since I'm going to chop it.

cart.JPG

Love it! One thing rat rodders always face... their neighbors! Hopefully you have kool ones! [ddd[ddd[ddd

BoB

So far the neighbors have been nothing but cool about it! Most just stop to check it out. At this point, I have minimal evidence outside anyway.

nice job. love that cab. I found a 31 ford stake bed trunk up the road from me but I'm in the same situation with trying not bum out the neighbors.

I took a break from the truck for a week and a half to build the wife a bench for our entryway. The base is all built from timbers from the big box of the 36 that I tore apart. The top is redwood that I didn't put a finish on with the idea of letting it weather out so that eventually, it will grey out as well. I even took some of the bolts from the box, cut the ends off with the old square nuts on them and welded them to lags to put it together with.

photo%2B1%2B%252810%2529.JPG

photo%2B2%2B%25281%2529.JPG

Thanks!

I made a little progress last night. I got the back glass out safely and will be able to have it cut down and reuse it so that's a bonus. I also got the rotten old windlace and door surround material scraped out. Now if I can just get that darn windshield to move so that I can pull it and the dash finisher, I'll be in good shape.

I managed to get the windshield pulled out. The windshield regulator was totally seized up and I couldn't get it to break free. The dash finisher in these trucks covers the mechanism so that you can't get at it with the finisher on. The problem is that you have to have the windshield open to take the finisher off. I bit of poor thinking went into that design! Anyway, I finally realized that I could use one of those little handles that has a hack saw blade sticking out of the end of it to get down in the gap between the windshield and the dash and cut the tab that holds the windshield frame to the regulator. After 15 minutes of sawing and a sore hand later, it's out.

photo%2B1%2B%252811%2529.JPG

photo%2B2%2B%252812%2529.JPG

I also started working on the drivers side door. There was a crack through the edge of the molded handle that I welded up and then I cut a big section out of the inner panel to get access to try to straighten the door out as much as I can. We'll see how much I can really do there. It's pushed in pretty good through a stiffened part of the sheet metal so it's not going to be easy.

photo%2B5%2B%25288%2529.JPG

photo%2B2%2B%252813%2529.JPG

photo%2B3%2B%252812%2529.JPG

photo%2B4%2B%252810%2529.JPG

I have pressed dents out of a large door panel like that with the dolly on my semi trailer. You might be able to rig up some kind of press with a bumper jack or something like that.

I ended up working on the roof last night instead of the door. I got it straightened out a lot better than I expected that I could. The pics look better than the reality but it's pretty good. Good enough that I will likely keep the top that it came with and just split and fill for the chop.

I didn't take proper before pics which is annoying but here's one that you can see the state the roof was in somewhat.

photo%2B2%2B%252812%2529.JPG

photo%2B3%2B%252813%2529.JPG

photo%2B1%2B%252813%2529.JPG

photo%2B2%2B%252814%2529.JPG

photo%2B4%2B%252811%2529.JPG

Latest posts

Back