Im gonna build a mower

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

53 stickfigure

Since I've got the skylark, I haven't had anything to work on and boredom has set in. I have 11 acres of flat land that hasn't been cut in 2 years. I had been paying a guy to cut around the house until i found a little john deere mower for $150. There is no challenge in cutting grass, but cutting thick weeds and tree saplings 5 feet tall with a little riding mower adds some excitement to grass cutting. I've been at it for about 3 hours a day all week. While cutting and getting a small audience, I've been designing a super mower in my head to build this winter. I can't find a car right now that i can really get into and not building something right now is killing me so, its crazy super rat mower time. I'll post some pics of what I'm cutting and cutting with this evening. The neighbors think I'm crazy and the ones I've told don't believe me.

I had an old JD, can't remember for sure, I think q 112, got it with a blowed up 8 horse single and shoehorned a 14 horse briggs twin. With the 36 inch deck, it would practically mow off fence posts, still kinda light on side hills. Would wheelie like a bad boy in high gear.

Neighbor gave me a Husky YT20K46 at the start of the summer, it was on it's last legs, I got three mowings out of it before it blew up. It had a 20 hp Kohler on it, I swapped a 18 HP Briggs I had off of an older Craftsman mower, works great. 4 bolts and the wiring plugged right together, couldn't get any easier.

Sounds like you need to find a Yanmar or other small Jap tractor with a 4 foot bush hog. Those riding mower blade spindles won't take many hits on large tree stumps before that break.

I've got so many crazy ideas in my head right now. So far I've got 3 5hp briggs engines and a 18hp honda. My plan calls for 6 to 9 engines total with only a 48 inch cut.

I’ve been running some ideas threw my head for a long time on a motorized yard packer , but I’ll be packing a 12 acre field so I can bush hog it with out destroying my bush hog, let’s see some pictures or drawings

Neighbor gave me a Husky YT20K46 at the start of the summer, it was on it's last legs, I got three mowings out of it before it blew up. It had a 20 hp Kohler on it, I swapped a 18 HP Briggs I had off of an older Craftsman mower, works great. 4 bolts and the wiring plugged right together, couldn't get any easier.

Sounds like you need to find a Yanmar or other small Jap tractor with a 4 foot bush hog. Those riding mower blade spindles won't take many hits on large tree stumps before that break.

I did that same swap, sold it when I was working on mowers for money. It was a great mower. The old Briggs opposed flattys are tough as nails and make way more torque than a lot of the newer stuff with higher rating.

Latest posts

Back